Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: On The Slant  (Read 607 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
On The Slant
« on: July 03, 2016, 10:38:25 am »

Reactions? Especially regarding how much of the scene is included in the frame. Too much? Too little?  Thanks, t
One Day At A Time

degrub

Re: On The Slant
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 04:33:11 pm »

Hi Todd,

What was the composition intended to be focused on - the gravel track, the crib, the trees, the field of view ?

BTW, reminds of parts of Cades Cove.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 06:10:30 pm »

Hi Todd,

What was the composition intended to be focused on - the gravel track, the crib, the trees, the field of view ?

BTW, reminds of parts of Cades Cove.
You know Cade's Cove!! Yes, a beautiful place. This isn't too far from there. I am trying to gain experience about how much to include in my compositions: what is enough, what is not. (most recently, post: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=111160.msg916473#msg916473 ). Now, thinking about ypour question, the movement down the track is what I wanted to convey, with the corn crib being a destination element.  Thanks for your question. t
One Day At A Time

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 09:14:32 am »

Hi Todd, It's not just a question of what to include and what to leave out; it's a question of graphical balance, which in black and white includes tonal relationships. In color it includes the relationship between the colors, which is one reason B&W often outshines color unless you can carefully control how the colors interrelate. Warm colors advance, cool colors retreat. It's one of the things HCB talked about in his writings about photography, and one of the reasons he preferred B&W for street even when color was becoming available. If you're going to do B&W you can't do better than studying Cartier-Bresson's pictures which often are prime demonstrations of how B&W tones relate to create graphical balance. And in spite of the fact that there are people on LuLa convinced McCurry is involved in a "scandal," McCurry's color relationships are worth studying.

Then there's the approach that says "screw it," and produces wildly unbalanced compositions. That's okay too if it's effective. Usually it isn't, but sometimes it's worth a try.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:32:24 am »

Hi Todd, It's not just a question of what to include and what to leave out; it's a question of graphical balance, which in black and white includes tonal relationships. In color it includes the relationship between the colors, which is one reason B&W often outshines color unless you can carefully control how the colors interrelate. Warm colors advance, cool colors retreat. It's one of the things HCB talked about in his writings about photography, and one of the reasons he preferred B&W for street even when color was becoming available. If you're going to do B&W you can't do better than studying Cartier-Bresson's pictures which often are prime demonstrations of how B&W tones relate to create graphical balance. And in spite of the fact that there are people on LuLa convinced McCurry is involved in a "scandal," McCurry's color relationships are worth studying.

Then there's the approach that says "screw it," and produces wildly unbalanced compositions. That's okay too if it's effective. Usually it isn't, but sometimes it's worth a try.
Thank you Russ. I will.
One Day At A Time
Pages: [1]   Go Up