Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Freestyle Arista II Legacy + Red River SoftGloss in SpectrumViz  (Read 1530 times)

Ernst Dinkla

Some spectral plots added, more will follow end of July.

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/browse/palo-duro-soft-gloss-rag.html
got some reference to Platine on that page and the spectral plot In SpectrumViz confirms it.
Fogra ISO permanence certification like Felix Schoeller's version has as well.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/38513-Arista-II-Legacy-Series-Baryta-Photo-310gsm-Inkjet-Paper-13x19-10
it is another one of family IGFS/Canson Baryta Photographique

Both most likely manufactured by Felix Schoeller.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

howardm

Re: Freestyle Arista II Legacy + Red River SoftGloss in SpectrumViz
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 09:11:07 am »

Well, it certainly *seems* like the PaloDuro is the same as Epson Platine (more so than Canson Platine) for a whole lot less $$$ (13x19:  $78 vs. $130)

narikin

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2016, 09:27:15 am »

Well, it certainly *seems* like the PaloDuro is the same as Epson Platine (more so than Canson Platine) for a whole lot less $$$ (13x19:  $78 vs. $130)

Great sleuthing Ernst!

Yes, the RedRiver looks like another Schoeller Platine-clone, and good to see that.

It isn't an especially great deal when you compare it to the price after the current Epson 3 for 2 rebates. Yes, rebates end, but discounts from competing suppliers do not, and afaik, RedRiver papers are just from the one source with its fixed prices.  I use a lot of 44" and the math is clearly with Epson Legacy Platine at moment.

Don't dismiss Canson Platine white point - it has improved a lot as Schoeller is getting better at grading its cotton and base coatings. The Platine white point has got notably higher (bluer) since its introduction, when it was a unique paper on the market. It's an ever improving Platine paper base that is available to all, clearly.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 01:36:23 pm »

Christopher Honeyman and Paul Graham made it possible to by sending me samples of the papers from the US. John Dean did it before with Epson Platine samples.

It is good that Red Rider sets a standard (bottom) price, in calculations for customers you can not rely on rebates. The roll lengths are 15 Meter if I recall it correctly, did RR not add more length for one reason or another? No fast internet where I am right now.

Ernst, op de lei getypt.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:47:07 am by Ernst Dinkla »

narikin

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 09:44:03 am »

The roll lengths are 15 Meter if I recall it correctly, did RR not add more length for one reason or another?

RR rolls are 50ft, which is 15.25m so, no not really any meaningful extra length.

We now have a number of essentially identical Platine (& Baryta) options, beside the Canson original. Other than price, there is really just the surface to define a preference - are there any real differences in for example the various Platine's surfaces?

(and afaik, Canson Platine is the only one available in 60" roll width - surprised at Epson not offering this)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 09:49:16 am by narikin »

pslocum

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 02:00:47 pm »

I was told by RR that they add and extra 60" to roll lengths. I wrote to them because I felt that the way the roll was taped you lost to much paper. This is when they told me they added the extra paper lengths to makeup for that issue.  The latest rolls were secured with a sleeve instead of tapering directly.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 02:10:41 pm by pslocum »
Pages: [1]   Go Up