Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: epson P 800 what are the warts besides the swap ink issue  (Read 5665 times)

Richowens

Re: epson P 800 what are the warts besides the swap ink issue
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2016, 01:07:20 am »

Yes, thank you. I finally figured that out myself.

About driver settings, I am running Windows 10 and using driver 6.72, which is the current driver. It does not seem to have any Epson Fine Art Paper pull downs.

Alan

It does here, 6.72, Windows7.

Rich

Majohnson

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2016, 06:11:53 am »

I've been one of those who has been unfortunate to receive not one but two Epson P800 printers that exhibit pizza (star) wheel marks. These are particularly evident on Canson Baryta and Platine papers but also on the Epson exhibition fibre but not as bad.

I am contemplating returning the P800 for either the new 24" P6000 or P7000 which does away with the feeder mechanism all together. I just have to justify the difference in price and the space that will be required :-)

I like to do fine art prints for my friends and am not happy producing anything with even the slightest markings.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2016, 08:49:58 am »

It turns out that there are two drivers for Windows as there are for Mac. I've downloaded the "Series" driver and it does, in fact, have a setting for each of the epson fine art papers, Hot Press Bright in particular.

After some consternation with the driver telling me that it is recommended that Hot Press Bright be fed thru the front manual tray, I found the driver will accept a roll paper setting that it just overrode.

I fail to understand why Epson has two drivers for each system and it tries to force the front manual feed, but I think that I now have it working to my satisfaction.

Thanks, Mark, for your presence and persistence in this matter.

Alan

You are welcome. Yes, there are two drivers for each OS: Airprint and Series. Unless one is very attentive when setting up the printer, by default the Airprint driver gets installed, which has a very limited range of settings useful for printing from mobile devices. Epson should amend this; most people buying a printer like this would want the Series driver. The driver installation should either install both at the same time and advise users which to select for what purpose, or install the Series driver by default and let people know they can use Airprint for mobile devices. More people, including myself very early on, have been hung-up by this "de-faulty" behaviour.

As for the FFA feed, yes for sheet paper, those heavy papers should be fed through the FFA. According to Epson this is better for the longevity of the feed mechanisms. BUT, this does not apply for roll paper, where you simply follow their instructions for the roll paper path.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up