Raw & Post Processing, Printing > Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks

epson P 800 what are the warts besides the swap ink issue

(1/5) > >>

dseelig:
epson P 800 what are the warts besides the swap ink issue thanks David

howardm:
some units intermittently display 'pizza wheel' marks, particularly on the glossy papers w/ high black ink load.

possibly will suffer similar black swap valve failure as the 38xx did due to similar design but who knows, too early still.

I've heard some people say it can be somewhat finicky to get fine art sheets aligned on the front tray for input.  Or at least not as easy as the 38xx system was.

pslocum:
I've also heard a lot of talk about loading issues  through the front fine art feeder. I have to say that I have not experienced any issues using the front feeder with my P800 it has been a wonderful printer .........knock on wood....... I'm careful to make sure the paper has no curls and lies perfectly flat on the tray against the right side ::).no pizza wheel marks no issues. I usually try to print my photos needing PK or MK in lots to minimize the ink switching.

Wayne Fox:
I also haven't had issues with loading in the front tray.

I think the problem with the ink selector sticking is related to how frequently the inks are switched, sort of like the nozzles the selector needs exercised to avoid ink making it sticky.  Also machine age would certainly have something to do with it, so the p800's haven't been around long enough to know how it will perform.

As far as pizza wheels, I would imagine it's no different than the 3880, or any other printer that doesn't have a vacuum platen.  May show up with some papers and as mentioned making sure the paper is as flat as possible will help.

I've had mine for a while now, and really like it.  I have a p9000 as well, but have found myself using the p800 for my 17x22" papers and smaller. 

I don't have the roll feed option so no opinion on how that works.

I think epson did a pretty good job adding some niceties but keeping the basic machine unchanged ... the 38xx series has been a stellar performer for a long time now.

Mark D Segal:
I've tested about a dozen and a half different papers in three P800s over the past several months and have not seen any pizza wheel marks; I did look for them, but didn't find.

The Front Fine Art feed can be a bit finicky. I pointed out a way to resolve this in my recent review of Eight Papers on this website, toward the end. Essentially, you open the FFA tray, then feed the paper in through the back support (where the roll paper would go) rather than the front and make sure it is correctly aligned. This is very easy, smooth and works every time. I also mentioned in that article some risk of smearing at the corners loading curly paper. I fault the paper rather then the printer for this, but something to be aware of. It will not affect papers with a *very slight* bow or arc, which I distinguish from "curl", where edges and corners really stick up at a very different level from the rest of the sheet.

I also regret that Epson has made it impossible to measure ink usage per print. This is a feature that Canon offers, in great detail, on the Pro-1000.

Other than that, no issues that I have experienced. The printer makes excellent prints and usage is pretty straightforward as long as you know how to manage settings in the driver and the printing application.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version