Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Oregon coast suggestion  (Read 3791 times)

mtakeda

Oregon coast suggestion
« on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:50 pm »

I am planning to go over there including other places such as Mt. Hood and Columbia go urge and would like to know the numbers of days to spend and the town to stay at Oregon coast. Two nights are suffice?On top of regular photo shoot during the daytime I would love to do sunset shots. Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 08:42:16 pm by mtakeda »

Jens Peermann

Re: Oregon coast suggestion
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 09:24:42 am »

My favorite place on the northern Oregon Coast is Depoe Bay, a small, picturesque village between Lincoln City and Newport. It has the world's smallest harbor, which is the location of some scenes in the movie "One flew over the Cocoo's Nest", and also a year 'round resident herd of whales. At the north end of the village is "Boiler Bay", which has one of the two best tide pool areas in Oregon.

Newport to the south also has a picturesque harbor, as well as the Oregon Coast Aquarium. Further south from here the coast stays pretty spectacular all the way to Florence. Just north of Florence is the Heceta Head Lighthouse, a great location for sunset shots. They are best to take from a vista point along the coast highway (US 101) south of the lighthouse and just past the tunnel.

Not much information, but it will get you started.

mtakeda

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 11:23:48 pm »

Thank you so much. I will definitely visit those places. Thank you again.

markadams99

• http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 03:13:01 am »

Bandon, Sunset Oceanfront Lodging.

The beach:

The view from the room:

The view from the balcony:

http://www.sunsetmotel.com/
http://thelightcavalry.zenfolio.com/oregon

« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 10:13:19 am by markadams99 »

mshea

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:23 pm »

Seal Rocks can be very nice at sunrise, particularly so if it coincides with a low tide.

Merrill

muralin

• Murali's Website
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:49:00 pm »

There are lots of places between Canon Beach in the north to the CA-Oregon boarder in the south. Dont miss the Columbia River gorge area waterfalls. Checkout the POIs at https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zdISRdgk8n_E.kODjtjDdyq8k&usp=sharing
Murali
https://www.muralipix.com (Photography trips blog with pictures & location info)

mtakeda

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 11:22:24 pm »

Sorry for slow response because of the trip I took. In any event all of information given were very useful and the photo of the big rock in fore ground is impressive. I have a few more questions if I may.

1. To cover those photogenic areas in Oregon coast how many nights are recommendable?
2. Where is Seal rock? What town?
3. Columbia gorge , I love to go. Driving from Portland is how we go? How long is the total driving from the entrance to the turning back point?

I am glad you are helping me to finalize the trip plan.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:38 pm »

Really disappointing to see that lodging was allowed to be built on the shores. Once public land is gone, it's gone forever.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 07:07:36 pm »

Really disappointing to see that lodging was allowed to be built on the shores. Once public land is gone, it's gone forever.
It's unlikely it was ever public land. The beach up to the high tide line is public in the entire state, but access is often difficult for all but sea kayakers, because private land often abuts the high tide line.  Anyone who puts a structure that close to the high tide line is living on borrowed time anyway, so the structure itself may soon be gone.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 07:36:38 pm »

1. To cover those photogenic areas in Oregon coast how many nights are recommendable?
Difficult question because I don't know how long you will work each location. You could hit most with a  few hours at each in three days, but if you want to hit all of them at sunset, for example, then you would need weeks.

2. Where is Seal rock? What town?
South of Newport, north of Waldport.

3. Columbia gorge , I love to go. Driving from Portland is how we go? How long is the total driving from the entrance to the turning back point?
Yes, you begin to enter the Gorge about 20 miles east from downtown Portland on I-84, which can be awful getting out of Portland during rush hour. I recommend exiting I-84 at exit 22 and driving up to Crown Point. From there, drive around and past the building at Crown Point and stay on the Old Columbia Gorge highway as long as you can. This enables you to stop and photograph the many waterfalls (no access to most of them from I-84). If you were to stay on I-84 and drive 65 mph and not take any exits you will have seen most of the scenic portion of the Gorge after driving 1-1/2 hours past exit 22. This would put you a bit past The Dalles, but the best areas are much closer, before you get to Cascade Locks. If you take the old highway and/or stop to take pictures then you need to allow much longer.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 07:39:40 pm by pcgpcg »

mtakeda

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2016, 08:23:46 pm »

Dear Paul,

Most appreciated the detailed and valuable information. As far as Oregon coast is concern I will spend three nights at Cannon beach and seal rock and one other place. Does this sound reasonable? I will follow your suggestion on Columbia river trip.

pcgpcg

• paulglasser
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2016, 07:47:48 pm »

I will spend three nights at Cannon beach and seal rock and one other place. Does this sound reasonable?
Yes. You'll have a great time! Tide tables here... http://www.surf-forecast.com/breaks/Pacific-City/tides/latest

mtakeda

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 06:01:55 pm »

Thank you again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up