Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Breathing Fresh Air in the Dark Room  (Read 26523 times)

Terry Mester

Breathing Fresh Air in the Dark Room
« on: June 03, 2006, 08:01:48 pm »

I want to offer you a simple and inexpensive method to provide yourself enough fresh air to breathe in the Dark Room.  All you need is a basic Breathing Mask attached to a Hose (about 3/4" or 1" Inch in Diameter) leading to an Air Supply outside of the Dark Room.  You'll need to drill a hole in the wall to the neighbouring room for the Hose to pass through.  The other end of the Hose would be attached to a hole in a small Box, and a small table Fan would be used to blow Air into the Box and through the Hose.  This should provide enough fresh air for you to breathe in the Dark Room, and if necessary a Hose with a Diameter larger than 1 Inch could be used.  [As for Glue to connect it up, I would suggest a Glue named "Goop" which is the best I've ever seen.]

I also want to quickly address some environmental concerns brought to my attention by another Photographer.  The concern regarded used developing chemicals being poured down the drain.  As far as the left-over bath Water, this should just be boiled away on a Stove which will leave behind a very small amount of solid residue for disposal -- most of which would be minerals from the water.  It would probably take a few years to produce enough residue to necessitate a trip to a depot for disposal.  As for the other chemicals, if your Local or Regional Government doesn't have a programme for recycling old chemicals, there are companies that take chemicals for recycling and disposal.

ddolde

« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 08:23:18 pm »

What's a darkroom ??

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 11:16:46 pm »

What's a darkroom ??
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67315\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Maybe it's what you get if you insert the installation CD for Lightroom upside down.  
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

izaack

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 06:40:18 am »

I don't know, Terry. I am partial to wearing a rebreather myself like this bad boy: http://www.ccrb.co.uk/introduction.html. No hoses to get oneself entangled in while moving around in the dark. Just make sure your quadruple redundancy oxygen sensors are working.

Bobtrips

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006, 07:36:44 pm »

I want to offer you a simple and inexpensive method to provide yourself enough fresh air to breathe in the Dark Room.  All you need is a basic Breathing Mask attached to a Hose (about 3/4" or 1" Inch in Diameter) leading to an Air Supply outside of the Dark Room.  You'll need to drill a hole in the wall to the neighbouring room for the Hose to pass through.  The other end of the Hose would be attached to a hole in a small Box, and a small table Fan would be used to blow Air into the Box and through the Hose.  This should provide enough fresh air for you to breathe in the Dark Room, and if necessary a Hose with a Diameter larger than 1 Inch could be used.  [As for Glue to connect it up, I would suggest a Glue named "Goop" which is the best I've ever seen.]

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67314\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Sounds to me like a really effective way to cause yourself to black out.

If you don't manage to exhale separate from the hose you will soon be breathing in the carbon dioxide that you just exhaled.  More than one person has died when trying to use a piece of hose to work underwater.  Snorkels are short for a reason.

pobrien3

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006, 10:07:55 pm »

I don't know, Terry. I am partial to wearing a rebreather myself like this bad boy: http://www.ccrb.co.uk/introduction.html. No hoses to get oneself entangled in while moving around in the dark. Just make sure your quadruple redundancy oxygen sensors are working.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I'm sorry but I have to disagree - [a href=\"http://www.silentdiving.com/evo.htm]the Buddy Inspiration[/url] is smaller and lighter, and is my CCR of choice  

Terry Mester

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2006, 04:35:04 pm »

In selecting a Breathing Mask, you would want one with a Vent opening on the bottom for the excess Air and your Breath to expel.  Remember, I'm talking about a simple Breathing Mask, and not an "air-tight" Gas Mask.  The predicate for this suggested method is simply to provide outside Air to breath without causing a draft in the Dark Room.

Sounds to me like a really effective way to cause yourself to black out.

If you don't manage to exhale separate from the hose you will soon be breathing in the carbon dioxide that you just exhaled.  More than one person has died when trying to use a piece of hose to work underwater.  Snorkels are short for a reason.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67941\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

David White

• http://
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 12:29:04 am »

This is a joke, right?  
David White

izaack

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2006, 05:49:24 am »

The Buddy has a pretty naff safety record. It is not known as the Buddy Expiration for nuthin'. Besides, the Boris has that cool pseudo-Special Boat Services I-am-a-killa looking factor. It is exploration class. Much better and longer bottom time too, not that it matters in a darkroom. Along with a Kirby-Morgan M48 full-face mask, you're the bizness.

Hey, somebody could really clean up with a darkroom CCR.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:52:00 am by izaack »

pobrien3

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 02:30:19 am »

The Buddy has a pretty naff safety record. It is not known as the Buddy Expiration for nuthin'. [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=68152\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
I hadn't heard that - mine hasn't killed me yet! Where did you hear of the buddy's record / problems?

izaack

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2006, 06:22:05 am »

Now we getting in real deep and off-topic. Google 'Buddy Inspiration Scuba Fatalities'.

Those mainly happened when the Inspiration and CCR training were new.

I'm really considering the Ouroboros and doing the course with Phil Short in the UK. Or I may go with the Megalodon and do it with Tom Mount or Leon.

Happy to hear that you're breathing happy and safely with the Inspiration. Thinking about diving that WW2 USN sub grave site in the Gulf of Siam?

Tom B

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2007, 03:13:50 am »

Or you could just wear a scuba tank.
The suggestion for boiling away old chemicals on the stove sounds like a really great way to make your entire residence uninhabitable.

mahleu

• 500px
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2007, 08:06:19 am »

just get aircon...