Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dedolight Projection Adapter on Strobe  (Read 7427 times)

JoeKitchen

Dedolight Projection Adapter on Strobe
« on: June 29, 2016, 01:09:13 pm »

Recently on a project I rented and used the Profoto Spot Small, which allows you to use size m gobos and project patterns into your image.  Spot Small

Although I like the tool and would like to buy one, I can't help but notice that Dedolight makes a much better version for a much cheaper price. Dedolight Projection

The dedolight adapter and the front of the Spot Small are essentially the same, but the dedolight will accept filters in front of the lens.  Also, you can changed lenses for tighter or wider projections. 

The interior of the Profoto Spot Small is black, so no light really gets reflected into the lens other then what directly hits it, which means the dedolight could just be placed in front of the strobe. 

Any ideas on how to do this and attach the projector to a strobe reflector? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Brent Daniels

Re: Dedolight Projection Adapter on Strobe
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 12:45:06 pm »

Yes in photos the Dedolight projection accessory and the Profoto Spot Small modifier look the same. I own Dedolight and Profoto. I have owned/used the Dedolight projection but not the Profoto Spot Small. The big issue I image is a real life size difference between the 2 light modifiers. The circumference of the Dedolight front is much smaller than a Profoto head. The accessories ring where the barndoors or projection unit attach is only 3" across where as the Profoto mount is probably (don't have in NYC) 5".

I have been told Adorama rents Dedolight. Most likely they have the projection attachment. Rent a Dedolight and projection spot. Rent a Profoto Spot Small and some sort of Profoto mount ring. Have a play to see just how you could make the Dedolight piece work with a Profoto head. A trip or two to Home Depot. If you know someone who is a machinist all the better.

If you can get it to work. Buy the actual pieces and find someone who can polish the design and make you you dream spot. Pretty much how Mola came to be many yrs ago in Toronto.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 01:03:55 pm »

Thanks Brent. 

I actually bought the Dedolight projection adapter and a Profoto Travel Narrow beam, which is very sturdy.  I am doing to get roofing seam clamps, a nice hose clamp, and steel supports to hold the adapter in place.  In testing, it is looking like I am getting more light output already and still maintaining the sharp clean shadows. 

Conner999

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:33 am »

That's one nice thing about the Profoto mount - lots of McGyvering possibilities.

For this project, I'm thinking large coffee (or similar) can, speed ring, pop rivets (or small machine bolts & locknuts) and some high heat flat black paint. Some form of heat shield for hands on outside of the can once a proof of concept works. Could maybe also try some smaller diameter black wood stove pipe and end caps. Look fwd to seeing the results

samoore

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2016, 10:52:18 pm »

Another option is getting an Elinchrom Mini Spot, and the Profoto crossover adapter. Not sure if you would have to take the dome off.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2016, 09:49:32 am »

Trying to make this so I can break it down and be as compact/light as possible. 

Thinking of having three braces holding the projection adapter to the Narrow beam that can be detached.  To keep light from spilling out, I plan on making a pouch with two openings at each side out of heat resistant black ballistic nylon with elastic to hold it in place.

I also just got a 12 foot long 2 mm core fiber optic cable.  I did some minor testing by having my fiance hold one end to the dome (on the strobe head) while I stood in another room with the door closed.  Pretty surprised by how well it works and how much light travels through those cables.  Even with just the light from the modeling lamp, it was like I was holding a mini flash light. 

Since the lenses on the Dedo projection are removable, I figure I can find a cable coupler the same thickness as the lens and clamp a dozen or so fiber optic cables in it.  Then use the projection adapter for the fiber optics as well. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 09:59:32 am by JoeKitchen »

DiamondsDr

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2016, 10:11:02 pm »

Hi Joe, did you manage to adapt dedo to profoto, does it work for you? Thanks!

pixjohn

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2016, 04:13:13 pm »

I use to use a stage lighting rig made for gobo's that my Dyna light head would slide right into. I removed the back bulb section and the strobe head fit right in. I bought it used for less then $50.00. I also wanted to try using a pencil light with it, but someone stole the housing and I never replaced it.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2016, 10:51:03 am »

Hi Joe, did you manage to adapt dedo to profoto, does it work for you? Thanks!

Not yet.  I have been very busy with paying work, so personal stuff has taken a back burner. 

I did figure out how to rig it in place, I just need to have three sturdy brackets made, sew some black fabric and elastic together for a seal, find a ring clamp for it. 

I may get on this this week.  I will be going to the NYC Fotoworks this October and want to add some more things to my portfolio. 

Plus I need a new watch; my current one has a broken seal and was fogging up down the shore last month on a shoot.  I can see lots of rust and corrosion building up inside from the salt water vapor; just a matter of time before it stops working.  So I may buy a new skeleton watch and shoot it, and I would need to use fiber optic cables to shoot it the way I want. 
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 11:20:10 am by JoeKitchen »

marcus_yam

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2018, 10:56:40 pm »

Hi Joe, I know this is an old thread, but I would love to see what this rig looks like.

Kirk_C

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 12:15:51 am »

I still mix my Dedolights in to studio setups with CTB filters.

There is a gentleman in Russia who's hand making a Bowens mount adapter.

Pages: [1]   Go Up