Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: I've reached "postcard" quality, but how to move beyond that?  (Read 7562 times)

BenSimon

• Flickr sets
Re: I've reached "postcard" quality, but how to move beyond that?
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2017, 04:13:38 am »

Good pianists practice, practice, day after day after day. Practice, learning, curiosity, discovery and passion are the keys to improvement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2017, 05:08:06 pm »

Postcards are what everyone wants to see.

What do you see as an artist? What’s your unique interpretation of a subject or scene?

Answering those questions allows you to begin moving beyond postcards. But you’re the only one who can answer them.

Good luck!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

BradSmith

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2017, 05:19:03 pm »

I'd suggest that you try to look for compositions of those subjects and subject areas that are more unique.  Maybe even off beat. In other words, consciously LOOK for details/compositions/lighting that are a different way of ''seeing" the subject.  Often the same print/exposure skills that you currently possess if applied to a more interesting or mentally stimulating view of the subject may no longer feel like "postcard" quality.   
Brad 

mediumcool

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2017, 10:01:06 am »

I'd suggest that you try to look for compositions of those subjects and subject areas that are more unique.  Maybe even off beat. In other words, consciously LOOK for details/compositions/lighting that are a different way of ''seeing" the subject.  Often the same print/exposure skills that you currently possess if applied to a more interesting or mentally stimulating view of the subject may no longer feel like "postcard" quality.   
Brad

More unique? Not possible.
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

danielc

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 07:28:29 am »

I think it's mostly to do with lighting and maybe a little composition with regards to the Dolomite image.

The images that step past that to me, maybe have some better composition (more focussed) but mostly would have unique, unusual natural lighting, ie. Sunrise, Sunset, Eerie Storm etc etc.

Dan
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up