Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Go to top link  (Read 2831 times)

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
Go to top link
« on: June 27, 2016, 05:40:55 pm »

I don't know if this has been asked earlier, but I think the main website need a go to the top link. Every time I finish reading an article, I need to scroll all the way back to the top to go someplace else. Can't be too hard to implement it on the template.

Think about it.
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

Paul Gessler

Re: Go to top link
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2016, 06:47:40 pm »

I personally don't have use for such a feature, but I'm sure the site owners will consider it. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can use the "Home" key on your PC keyboard (I believe "Command—Up Arrow" has the same function on Macs), or on an iOS device, tap (once if the URL/search bar is already "expanded", twice if the bar is currently collapsed) near the top edge of the screen to quickly return to the top of any page.

Martin Ocando

• Lightcraftings
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 07:51:29 pm »

I personally don't have use for such a feature, but I'm sure the site owners will consider it. In the meantime, as a workaround, you can use the "Home" key on your PC keyboard (I believe "Command—Up Arrow" has the same function on Macs), or on an iOS device, tap (once if the URL/search bar is already "expanded", twice if the bar is currently collapsed) near the top edge of the screen to quickly return to the top of any page.

Yes, Command up arrow, but that is two keys I need to press, and move my hand away from the mouse. When I'm relaxed, legs crossed, a glass of wine on my left hand, clicking and scrolling here and there (my typical Sunday afternoon), I want to move around with just my mouse, and is a bit awkward to press a key (or two) just to go all the way up after a long article. If is a short one I don't mind, but one like the recent Review of Eight Papers, from Mark Segal, is annoying having to scroll all the way up.

Is it laziness, maybe, but is more of comfort than anything else. Besides, is an easy fix, just adding a simple link to <a href="#top">Go Top</a> In fact, there are currently basic JQuery libraries, that allow you to have a floating back to top link, which is nice, when you don't even want to finish the article, but want to go someplace else.

Here is a nice read here about website design basics, and when to use or not the back to top links.
Martin Ocando
Olympus OM-D E-M1 -

alainbriot

• http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
    • http://www.beautiful-landscape.com
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:30:15 am »

With a scrolling mouse (and I think all mice have scrolling abilities) it's two strokes to go back to the top.  My index finger does not even get tired  and I don't need to let go of my favorite drink to touch the keyboard ;)
Alain Briot
Author of Mastering Landscape Photography
http://www.beautiful-landscape.com

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:29:20 am »

I'll discuss it with our developers.  It's the first time it has been requested.  I have tried to keep the site minimalistic with out all the buttons etc.

No promises but I will discuss it.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:31 am »

The "go to top" link is one of the most annoying things ever invented when the site is viewed on a mobile device! Go to http://www.dailygalaxy.com in mobile browser, open up an article, and see by yourself.

You are in a middle of a lengthy article, try to scroll further down, but instead hit that dreaded link in the bottom-right corner, and -- voila, you're at the top. Like I said, most annoying.

Sincerely hope LuLa does not introduce something like what Daily Galaxy did.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:20:05 am by Zorki5 »

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:21:47 am »

Like I said it is not a requested item and we try not to muck things up.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:21:59 pm »

Perhaps I could add a modification request to the "Go Up" link at the bottom of a thread page.  It's very useful, but at least on a PC with Chrome, while it takes me to the top of the thread, it leaves the links to the Forum and sub-Forum just hidden enough so that if I want to use them to navigate back to a forum page (I usually do) I need to scroll up a turn on my mouse.  Not too bad, but I come from an industry where ergonomics and repetitive motion are a big deal, so tasks are designed to take as few motions as possible.

Thx

Rick Popham

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 04:03:55 pm »

Perhaps I could add a modification request to the "Go Up" link at the bottom of a thread page.  It's very useful, but at least on a PC with Chrome, while it takes me to the top of the thread, it leaves the links to the Forum and sub-Forum just hidden enough so that if I want to use them to navigate back to a forum page (I usually do) I need to scroll up a turn on my mouse.  Not too bad, but I come from an industry where ergonomics and repetitive motion are a big deal, so tasks are designed to take as few motions as possible.

Thx

I use Chrome and I see what you mean, but I wonder if you've noticed that those links are also available at the bottom of the page as well, just underneath "Go Up".  You don't have to return to the top of the page to access them. 

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2016, 02:11:44 pm »

Excellent!  I don't know why I'd not seen them before .. thanks

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 03:42:50 pm »

Excellent!  I don't know why I'd not seen them before .. thanks

It took me a while to understand that the "NEW" label after a thread name is not just a label, but a link that would take me straight to the new posts in that thread.

Or that the ellipsis in thread's list of pages after its name can be clicked and expanded, so that you could go to an arbitrary page of that thread.

LuLa forum is more convenient than most users think, I suspect :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up