Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CS2 vs. Lightroom  (Read 9040 times)

Khurram

CS2 vs. Lightroom
« on: June 02, 2006, 08:59:45 pm »

I still haven't purchased CS2 yet, as I'm still finalizing my computer requirements.

I was at vistek yesterday and the sales person recommended that if i can, i should not bother spending the money on CS2 and get Lightroom? he said that lightroom should be out by the end of the summer. He also said that while CS2 is really more for graphic artists, Lightroom is meant to be a one product solution for photographers.

He said a lot of features in CS2 will never be used by photographers, buth that Lightroom will have all of the features a photographer would want from CS2, including all photo editing, organizaiton, raw converter in a one package solution.

I would appreciate some feedback on wheter Lightroom will indeed be a better option then CS2 (i.e. is it meant to work with or replace CS2). will it have features like HDR???

If lightroom is a better option, does anyone know what the system requirements are?? I was actually going to be ordering a PC from Dell in the next few days, and want to make sure i buy something that can support Lightroom.

I was going to be getting a dual core that has the Intel 820 processor (2.8ghz) and 2gigs of RAM, 250 to 300 gig hard drive. Will this be sufficient???

PLEASE DO NOT start A MAC vs. PC debate!!! I thought long and hard about getting a Mac, but at this time, don't have the budget for it (computer + all of the other software that would have to be replaced). I'm looking for something in the $1200-$1400 range and Dell's system is available in that range.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

john beardsworth

• My photography site
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 10:29:32 pm »

He also said that while CS2 is really more for graphic artists, Lightroom is meant to be a one product solution for photographers.
Sounds like he's been reading the marketing spin. If it's repeated often enough, people will believe it, but it doesn't make it any truer. The whole Creative Suite 2 may well be for graphic artists and others, but Photoshop (from now on I'll assume you only mean Photoshop when you say CS2) has always focussed on photographers' needs and still does, as well as handling graphic artists' needs. However, if that statement has any truth it's that Photoshop isn't good enough at processing images in bulk volumes where only limited adjustments are needed, rather like how slide photographers clip test and push process rolls of film. And it's bulk processing that's become more of an issue now that digital capture is the norm in its photographic marketplace - that's why we're now seeing the programs like Lightroom, Aperture, Lightzone, Nikon Capture NX etc that are based on instruction sets rather than pixel editing. At most one might say that Photoshop wasn't designed for photographers who aren't darkroom users. There's little it can't do, so go for it now and try the Lightroom beta when it's on Windows.

He said a lot of features in CS2 will never be used by photographers, buth that Lightroom will have all of the features a photographer would want from CS2, including all photo editing, organizaiton, raw converter in a one package solution.
That's true enough, and even expert users only use a few of Photoshop's features at any one time. But there's little it can't do, and you can always get Lightroom later once it's in version 1 or 2 and it's a more mature program with its wrinkles ironed out.

I would appreciate some feedback on wheter Lightroom will indeed be a better option then CS2 (i.e. is it meant to work with or replace CS2). will it have features like HDR???
AFAIK, no. For photographers, it really replaces Bridge and ACR.

If lightroom is a better option, does anyone know what the system requirements are?? I was actually going to be ordering a PC from Dell in the next few days, and want to make sure i buy something that can support Lightroom.
Look, it's not available yet. Even if anyone told you something, you wouldn't be able to believe it until the real product came out.

I was going to be getting a dual core that has the Intel 820 processor (2.8ghz) and 2gigs of RAM, 250 to 300 gig hard drive. Will this be sufficient???
Probably. 2 gigs is a good move. Also consider the monitor - the price premium for Dell's higher quality screen is not much but it's worth the extra.

PLEASE DO NOT start A MAC vs. PC debate!!! I thought long and hard about getting a Mac, but at this time, don't have the budget for it (computer + all of the other software that would have to be replaced). I'm looking for something in the $1200-$1400 range and Dell's system is available in that range.
Get what you want. There's no reason to switch and your decision makes sense.

John

jliechty

CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 10:33:38 pm »

I still haven't purchased CS2 yet, as I'm still finalizing my computer requirements.

I was at vistek yesterday and the sales person recommended that if i can, i should not bother spending the money on CS2 and get Lightroom? he said that lightroom should be out by the end of the summer. He also said that while CS2 is really more for graphic artists, Lightroom is meant to be a one product solution for photographers.
Lightroom out by the end of summer? As if... The PC beta is nonexistent as of yet, and it's said to come out by early summer (hopefully it actually will). Edit: I agree with John's post above, which wasn't there when I started typing my reply. Don't base your decisions now on software that may perhaps be out as soon as late in the year (or maybe not until next year).

Your component choices are fairly good; I'd like to see a faster processor, but depending on your budget other things may have to take precedence. Two gigabytes of RAM is good; don't back down on that. I recommend two hard drives (rather than three, given your budget) - a smaller (perhaps 60 or 80GB) one for the operating system and applications, and a larger (300GB) one for data storage. This also simplifies things if you need to reinstall your operating system: the operating system drive can be formatted without touching your data (though you should still have it backed up anyway).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 10:36:27 pm by jliechty »

Khurram

CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 10:52:46 pm »

John thanks for your reply.  I guess i will go ahead with my original plan and get CS2.  I had thought if lightroom is only a month or two away, i could probably get by with Elements 3 that is bundled with the scanner i was getting.  

but if i'm going to need PS anyway, it makes more sense to get CS2 now and start learning it.
----

john beardsworth

• My photography site
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 10:57:03 pm »

I also agree with jliechty's post and was thinking of saying the same about drives.

If you're shooting lots of images, also consider an asset manager like iView and read Peter Krogh's The DAM book.

John

Khurram

CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 11:03:04 pm »

Your component choices are fairly good; I'd like to see a faster processor, but depending on your budget other things may have to take precedence. Two gigabytes of RAM is good; don't back down on that. I recommend two hard drives (rather than three, given your budget) - a smaller (perhaps 60 or 80GB) one for the operating system and applications, and a larger (300GB) one for data storage. This also simplifies things if you need to reinstall your operating system: the operating system drive can be formatted without touching your data (though you should still have it backed up anyway).
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67230\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

thanks for the advice.  I did want to get a faster processor, but with a dual core, it pushes up the price by over $300.   I just have question regarding your suggestion for two seperate drives.   I really like the idea of being able to format an operatig sytem drive without touching the data storage drive.  Do you know if that is something that can be done by a retailer like Dell *where I was going to be making the purchase from)???    My computer skills are pretty much limited to using applications and following software install instructions, really no experience in configuring systems.

I just made the jump to digital, and the cost (memory cards, camera, software) and now comuter is more then I had bargained for.  I also need to get a scanner to archive the thousands of slides of velvia i have.  Originally i thought my only other costs were going to be the 1DIIn and a few memory cards and CS2.  I've found that i needed more cards then i originally thought (at least they are dropping in price faster), but didn't realize that PS was such a memory hog, as I had no expereience with it before.
----

john beardsworth

• My photography site
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 11:08:14 pm »

I also need to get a scanner to archive the thousands of slides of velvia i have.
Maybe consider camera scans, like one of the old slide duplicators. I know Peter Krogh recommends this route as the fastest way to scan large numbers of images.

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 11:12:17 pm »

ps, something like this .

Also read here.

John

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 01:27:36 am »

Khurram, you may wish to read this.

Mike.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2006, 01:28:07 am by wolfnowl »
If your mind is attuned t

David White

• http://
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 10:12:43 am »

thanks for the advice.  I did want to get a faster processor, but with a dual core, it pushes up the price by over $300.   I just have question regarding your suggestion for two seperate drives.   I really like the idea of being able to format an operatig sytem drive without touching the data storage drive.  Do you know if that is something that can be done by a retailer like Dell *where I was going to be making the purchase from)???    My computer skills are pretty much limited to using applications and following software install instructions, really no experience in configuring systems.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67234\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You can order a second hard drive of a different size when you configure your system.

If you buy from Dell, be sure to spend the extra $10 to get the Windows XP CD.  The first thing you will want to do is reinstall the system from the CD to a clean disk and then install the drivers from the driver disk.  You won't believe the amount of crap that Dell preinstalls on their systems - AOL, Earthlink, Quickbooks, media players, firewalls, antivirus and a bunch of other stuff that slows the system to a crawl and uses up a bunch of RAM.

I've been buying Dell Dimension dual-core systems for one of my clients with an 80GB disk, 1GB of memory, and a 17" monitor for $600.  You just have to watch for the specials.
David White

john beardsworth

• My photography site
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2006, 10:20:48 am »

I always do a clean install but if you don't want to do so (it's good for you) then there's always the Dell De-Crapifier.

John

Khurram

CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2006, 04:55:53 pm »

John/David/Mike,
Thanks for the advice as well as the links!
----

larkvi

• http://www.larkvi.com
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 01:55:20 am »

If you buy from Dell...You just have to watch for the specials.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Slickdeals [ [a href=\"http://www.slickdeals.net/]http://www.slickdeals.net/[/url] ] follows all the latest Dell deals, and posts them when they occur, with all the coupons needed to get the best price. If I were looking to buy a Dell, I would watch that site (or one of the similar ones) until the deal I was looking for came by. Dell is the most frequent company to appear, with new promotions every few days.
-Sean [ we

situgrrl

• http://www.charlyburnett.com
CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 05:49:48 am »

I've been using Lightrrom for about 3 weeks now and fully expect it to handle 90% of my photography needs by the time it has a full commercial release.  Beta 3 is due for release anytime now (I saw it running on a mac at Adobe Live in London) and as an added Web module which makes PS still more redundant.

At the moment my workflow consists of getting the image looking right in LR before exporting to PS for sharpening, noise reduction and output.  If PK Sharpener and Noise Ninja aren't released as modules for Lightroom within weeks of it being a commerical release, I'l eat a lens!  I doubt we will see local retouching tools in the first release though and when they do come, they'll be somwwhat limited in comparrison with PS.

I've not used Elements for many years but if PK and noise ninja don't work with it, I'd be amazed.  Apparently it lacks curves except via a plugin but since all such adjustment can be done in LR, you've no real need for photoshop - Elements will handle your retouching and printing needs fine in almost all circumstances.

Since Elements is a cut down version of PS, I woudn't expect the learning curve to be any better.  Photoshop can be used to produce anything 2 dimensional that you could possibly imagine.  I have been using PS with scanners since I was 12, version 3 or something.  It wasn't until I took a proper classroom based course last year though that I realy managed to make it sing for me.  I suggest you consider something similar if you do decide it wil become a major part of your workflow.

I installed Aperture and Lightroom at the same time hours after recieving my new computer.  Aperture I've never bothered to get the hang of - it's huge and complex, Lightroom on the other hand is the most simple, well laid out piece of software I have come across ever.  It took me less than an hour to work out everything I needed to know without referal to the internet or phonecalls.  For this, you won't need a course!

Finally, I think that you should be aware that programs like iserial reader can save your bank account considerable damage when used (ir)responsibly.  You might also want to go digging around Google to find out what torrents are all about (though I suggest you find a friendly local geek to set them up for you.)

Take care
C

Khurram

CS2 vs. Lightroom
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 12:03:29 pm »

larkvi,
Thanks for the link on dell specials.

situgrrl,
Appreciate you sharing your impressions on Lightroom and i'll google iserial reader as well.
----
Pages: [1]   Go Up