Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 292244 times)

Jonathan Cross

Re: Brexit
« Reply #1120 on: March 30, 2017, 06:06:01 am »

The Herald article mentioned above reflects one view.  Others will present different views.  Immigration was an important factor for many people in the UK.  The UK is not against immigration, but many do not want uncontrolled immigration from the EU.  This is causing real pressure on services, e.g. the National Health and state education in parts of the country.  Two possible reasons for the current situation is that the UK may be viewed as having a successful economy and that English is taught in many EU schools meaning EU immigrants can have a working knowledge of the language on arrival.  This would not be the situation e.g. with migrants from southern Europe going to northern mainland Europe.  The intransigence of the EU on freedom of movement has become a step too far for many in the UK.

Brexit is complex and compromises will have to be made - no-one wants a lose/lose result.  Bad for companies in the UK could be bad also for the likes of BMW, Peugeot, Volkswagon, Citroen, Fiat and the other industries that have significant exports to the UK.  Europe also benefits from UK human expertise, just as we do from theirs.  Let's see what happens after the initial posturing is over and the real negotiations are conducted.

Jonathan

Jonathan in UK

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1121 on: March 30, 2017, 11:49:20 am »

...Brexit is complex and compromises will have to be made - no-one wants a lose/lose result.  Bad for companies in the UK could be bad also for the likes of BMW, Peugeot, Volkswagon, Citroen, Fiat and the other industries that have significant exports to the UK.  Europe also benefits from UK human expertise, just as we do from theirs.  Let's see what happens after the initial posturing is over and the real negotiations are conducted.

Jonathan

America and lots of countries are not in the EU yet they trade with the countries in Europe.  Why should it be harder for Britain?  What things will be easier now that they're going to be out? 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #1122 on: March 30, 2017, 01:38:36 pm »

America and lots of countries are not in the EU yet they trade with the countries in Europe.  Why should it be harder for Britain?  What things will be easier now that they're going to be out?
They will have to renegotiate all the trade that was "free" under the EU.  In addition, there is a lot of EU centric business in London (banking, the European Medicines Agency that regulates drugs in the EU) that are likely to leave the country because of Brexit.  Some banks are already moving staff to Frankfurt.  There will be a significant loss of high paying jobs in London that won't be replaced.

Rob C

« Reply #1123 on: March 30, 2017, 02:43:34 pm »

I think that the misunderstandings between the UK and 'Europe' have a funny side, too: when Mr Tusk was given the explosive letter from Teresa he made his speech and terminated by saying "missing you already!" According to the reports that I have seen on television, the Brits seem to take this remark at face value, thinking this means he genuinely is missing the UK already; as far as I know, the phrase actually means something quite else: "we don't give a damn."

If I'm right, it augurs badly for the forthcoming debates! But it is funny, don't you think? But so legally polite.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1124 on: March 30, 2017, 03:52:35 pm »

Is the second paragraph of this comment intended to demonstrate the truth of the first?

Jeremy
Yes, that's why I also said May was stating the obvious while trying to sound smart.
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #1125 on: March 30, 2017, 05:57:25 pm »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15190607.Iain_Macwhirter__Be_very_afraid__the_Brexit_nightmare_is_truly_upon_us/?ref=ebln

What the hell's left to say, beyond the fact that politicians, in their duplicity, are the most disgusting animals to stalk this Earth?

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #1126 on: March 30, 2017, 06:18:45 pm »

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15190607.Iain_Macwhirter__Be_very_afraid__the_Brexit_nightmare_is_truly_upon_us/?ref=ebln

What the hell's left to say, beyond the fact that politicians, in their duplicity, are the most disgusting animals to stalk this Earth?
They're critters from the swamp and it needs to be drained.  Which is why I don't understand why people want to give governments more power to regulate and control our lives.

Rob C

« Reply #1127 on: March 31, 2017, 04:46:58 am »

They're critters from the swamp and it needs to be drained.  Which is why I don't understand why people want to give governments more power to regulate and control our lives.

They don't: they want better politicians and governments.

However, the ability to make such choices is a double failure: lack of discerning public and lack of suitable candidates.

In a nutshell, we are all screwed. If there's a moral, it's keep the hell out of nutshells. Now that's nihilistic in its cristalline simplicity.

stamper

« Reply #1128 on: March 31, 2017, 05:27:21 am »

It seems to me Alan that you are an anarchist?

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #1129 on: March 31, 2017, 09:17:40 am »

... Which is why I don't understand why people want to give governments more power to regulate and control our lives.

Very good question, Alan!

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #1130 on: March 31, 2017, 12:23:24 pm »

Yes, that's why I also said May was stating the obvious while trying to sound smart.

I think you have missed my point.

Jeremy

Jeremy Roussak

• Global Moderator
    • site
« Reply #1131 on: March 31, 2017, 12:29:27 pm »

It's an article by someone who, obviously, didn't vote to leave. There are decent responses to all the propositions he states as "facts".

Jeremy

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #1132 on: March 31, 2017, 03:50:26 pm »

I think you have missed my point.

Jeremy
Maybe, maybe not  ;)
pieter, aka pegelli

Rob C

« Reply #1133 on: March 31, 2017, 05:31:47 pm »

It's an article by someone who, obviously, didn't vote to leave. There are decent responses to all the propositions he states as "facts".

Jeremy

Facts are not immune from other facts that might indicate alternatives.

Dr House knew lots of them; almost killed a million patients as he ran the gamut of facts, but he was still regarded an expert, a hero! And that's a fact.

;-)

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57]   Go Up