Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions on this dramatic cloud shot?  (Read 616 times)

philaitman

Suggestions on this dramatic cloud shot?
« on: June 22, 2016, 07:32:20 am »

I've worked this shot a few times and I'm still never quite happy with it.
Compositionally there wasn't much more I could do. I jumped out of the car got the shot and it was over in seconds.
Underneath the cloud bank is Coniston Old man in the UK Lake District.

The bottom section has a lot of shadow recovery due to the sun being just out of shot and free of cloud to the left.
I think I've got the drama and some sense of scale in there. But it still feels not quite there.
I'm open to suggestions even if it's just bin it (although I'd hope for more constructive suggestions :) )

drmike

• On Flickr:
Re: Suggestions on this dramatic cloud shot?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 07:37:53 am »

I expect you have hardened your heart and tried a square crop losing 10-15% from the left, the remainder from the right. You lose a lot of lovely cloud but I think it might tighten the composition. And of course a B&W conversion is always worth exploring.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:14:54 am »

There are some great elements/form in it and still possibly you might be able to get something from it. I think the blacks/shadows need to be pulled up in the middle ground/foreground so there some more visible detail and not this "black band" running across the picture - this really detracts from the great cloud formation. I would work on bringing out some of the details of the clouds itself  - pulling shadows/adding clarity in some areas.The other thing that detracts from the image is that the blue sky is very dull and greenish. I would look at shifting the hue, increasing saturation a bit, and pull the luminance up some. Crop off a bit on right so edge is at center of you watermark probably would be better I suspect /B
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 12:36:30 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 09:20:28 am »

It's a striking shot, Phil, and it's fine. Don't listen to the croppers and full-time PPers. You framed what you wanted and you got it. Leave it alone.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 12:12:13 pm »

Yes, the blue sky does look a little strange, and the shadows might open up a little, but otherwise there's not much to worry about. Wonderful cloud.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 12:43:41 pm »

Seems like a great moment in nature, but in my opinion you overplayed the drama. A slightly more natural treatment, along Brandt's suggestions, would help. Otherwise, congrats on seeing the opportunity.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 12:49:09 pm »

Grand shot, Phil, congratulations!

One thing that is IMO... not perfect is this: under dark stormy sky, everything else starts looking lighter, up to a point that, say, buildings made of light-gray bricks look white like dried bone -- if you happen to also have a sky patch in you eye's "frame". This effect, that my eye somehow expects to see here, is missing, making the image less dramatic than it could have been... So I would probably at least lighten bottom 1/5 or so a bit.

Framing is IMO good (if not perfect).

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2016, 12:51:52 pm »

in my opinion you overplayed the drama

There ainn't no such thing as too much drama in a dramatic shot.  8)

philaitman

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 04:11:29 am »

Thank you for all of the opinions and suggestions. Due to the nature of the scene and the extreme dynamic range it's was a hard one (even for a D810)
I'll find some time this weekend and give it a reworking with your suggestions for better processing.

It's a striking shot, Phil, and it's fine. Don't listen to the croppers and full-time PPers. You framed what you wanted and you got it. Leave it alone.
My heart says yes but my head says no on this one. This is one of those situations where the eye heavily outperforms the camera and PP is and necessary evil :) I know what was seen on the day tonality wise is in the raw file I just haven't' been able to get it yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up