Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Converting workflow from Bridge/ACR/CC to Lightroom CC  (Read 3619 times)

DaveRichardson

Converting workflow from Bridge/ACR/CC to Lightroom CC
« on: June 21, 2016, 08:47:03 am »

Having used Bridge /ACR/Photoshop for many years I am about to make the move to lightroom. I see this as an opportunity to modify my folder structure and workflow but only want to make that change once so would welcome your thoughts and advice.
Hard drive storage space is not an issue and I have not mentioned backups here which is a separate part of my workflow.
My existing structure gives me RAW files on one drive with sidecar XMP files; PSD/TIFF versions on a second drive; DNGs on a third (just as a "future proof" backup)

My existing workflow :
1. Copy files from camera card to temporary "Camera transfers folder". I take out the camera card and only delete images once I have DNG back ups and RAW stored in their final destination folders.
2. Use bridge for initial cull (deleting rejects)
3. Use bridge batch rename to name files in format YYYYMMDD   Image number from camera  Subject
4. Use ACR for initial development and further culling if required. I store changes as XMP sidecar files
5. Use bridge to keyword and in some cases add star rating and collection
6. Open images in CC and carry out pixel/layer editing if required then save as PSD in folder by subject.
7. Use Adobe DNG convertor to make DNG copies of the raw files on a separate drive (with folder structure by year)
8. Use bridge to move RAW files (along with their XMPs) from the temporary "transfers" folder to a drive with RAW files in folders by year.

Note : I print from Photoshop and sometimes store additional PSD copies sized and sharpened as printed. I use this for example for wedding albums where I have a copy of the photo as it was printed in the album.

The changes I am proposing would be:
1. Copy files from camera card to temporary "Camera transfers folder". As I do now.
2. Import to lightroom then batch rename to name files in format YYYYMMDD -  Image number from camera -  Subject . This name format is important to me - is this do-able in lightroom or would I still need bridge?
3. Use Lightroom for initial development and further culling if required. Still storing changes as XMP sidecar files
4. Use Lightroom to keyword and create collections
5. Use Lightroom to move "un-culled" RAW files (along with their XMPs) to a drive with RAW files in folders by year.
6. Use Lightroom to Export DNGs to make DNG copies of the raw files on a separate drive (with folder structure by year)
7. Use Lightroom to Export TIFF/PSD version onto separate drive (with folder structure by year)
8. Open images requiring pixel editing in CC and carry out pixel/layer editing if required then save as PSD in folder by year ( i.e. same structure as RAW files - although on a separate drive)

I would then print from Lightroom (assuming I will be able to print a PSD ?).

If this is sensible/do-able  I would retain my DNG structure on one drive (this is purely belt and braces), my raw file structure on a second drive and a TIFF/PSD structure on a third . I assume collections will allow me to group images appropriately regardless of filetype and drive as bridge does now.

Thanks in advance

Dave

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Converting workflow from Bridge/ACR/CC to Lightroom CC
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 09:54:39 am »

I don't see anything that looks like a problem there.

Don't rename in the Import dialog, just import with the built-in file names. In Library add the image title (what you call "subject") and then create a renaming template which would look like this in the Filename Template Editor: {Date(YYYYMMDD)} {Original number suffix} {Title} . Save this as a renaming template.

There's a small issue if you want lower case file extensions. At step 2 you would import using the Move option, moving the files to the year/date folder at this stage, eliminating step 5, and renaming with lower case extensions.

But in general, you could do it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 10:02:16 am »

Lightroom has a whole panel dedicated to renaming, described in detail on pages 47 and 48 in Martin Evening's book. Then the next 4 pages contain important information about how to import the photos so that they store and are defined in metadata the way you want them. But you should give it a test run to see whether it meets your requirements.

I don't see anything particularly "wrong" with what you propose to do, but once you are making this kind of transition, it may perhaps be an opportunity to simplify your workflow and storage arrangements. An early decision is whether you need both XMP sidecars and DNG copies. I don't do DNG, but many people consider it important. Immediately after an Import, the first cull I do is to delete real garbage that I know I'll never need again. It's better to do this before creating Collections, because when you work from the imported photos before putting them in Collections, you can directly "Delete from Disk". If you work from a Collection, you can directly delete from the Collection, but not from the disk. Once I've put everything I didn't delete from disk into a Collection, the next decision is how to distinguish the wheat from the chaff. I use Lightroom's star rating and labeling functions for this, so nothing needs to be saved or stored in more than one place - the original storage location. For example, I'll use one star to denote an image selected for further attention, then yellow label it once it's edited and green label it once it's printed. They can be easily sorted and displayed according to these criteria so I always know where I stand on the processing of a photo shoot.

Once edited, the next issue is how to print them. Given the quality and capability of the toolset in LR's latest release, there's almost nothing I need to do in Photoshop; in fact I make it a point of stretching LR to the limit before further processing the photo in Photoshop. So about 98% of everything I do never leaves LR. The Print Module in LR is excellent and well integrated with the develop module. For example, when I put something up to Print and examine the photo before clicking print and see a tweak or two I'd like to perform, I go back to Develop, make the change, and it is automatically reflected in the Print Module (this does not apply to cropping, where it is better to remove the photo from the Print Module and remount it after making one of these changes). What I'm left with is nothing more than the raw file and it's list of edits, all kept in the same storage location.

For those photos that do need some treatment in Photoshop, LR has a function allowing you to open the image in PS for further processing, which happens at whatever stage of LR processing you choose, then once finished in Photoshop you save the photo as a TIFF of PSD, and it automatically opens as such as a separate entity in LR, allowing you to continue doing whatever else you want to do with it in LR.

The security function is confined strictly to how I back up my files in general. For the LR catalog, every time I quit LR, I back it up to a separate drive within my computer, but you can back-up the catalog to an external also. Before I shut down my computer for the night, I use Carbon Copy Cloner to back up the whole system drive to an external (this for Mac, but Windows has Acronis or similar for the same functions); I have my Pictures folder on this drive, hence ALL the LR stuff is automatically backed-up in this procedure.

In sum, all this is configured to minimize storage requirements, minimize duplication, maximize processing efficiency, and having to remember and manage as little as possible.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DaveRichardson

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 11:18:43 am »

John
Thanks that is great advice on the re-naming template.

Mark
I have just ordered Martin's book. I used his Photoshop book (version 7.0) and found it very useful when starting with Photoshop.

I started keeping DNGs a while back just as a back up in case a raw format was ever dropped from ACR - at least I would have something I could open. Admittedly an unlikely scenario!

When returning from Photoshop and saving as PSD/TIFF , are different versions kept in the same folder to be "automatically opened as a separate entity?

Sorry for these basic questions - I am about to download lightroom and wanted to get some of the basics right from the outset.

Appreciate both of your help.

Dave

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 11:35:35 am »

When returning from Photoshop and saving as PSD/TIFF , are different versions kept in the same folder to be "automatically opened as a separate entity?

Dave

Haven't needed to do this for a while, but from memory, yes. To be certain, when in Photoshop you can do a "Save As" rather than "Save" and this will pull-up the folder menu for where the file is to go.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

DaveRichardson

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 11:57:39 am »

Thanks Mark.
I do quite a lot of pixel based editing. For example last weeks wedding - combining group-shot images to take out the inevitable "blinkers", cleaning leaves from foreground grass and combining late night fireworks with the couple watching them.......  So most printed images will have made the round trip.

Have decided to redo my file structure before installing lightroom. A bit of work moving things about in bridge but will be worth it. I have been thinking about it for a while as my existing structure was set up before I started using collections

A final question - has anyone imported bridge collections into lightroom collections - or is that a step too far?

Dave

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 01:03:54 pm »

Lightroom has no way to read Bridge collections. If they are important, add keywords instead.

DaveRichardson

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 02:00:21 pm »

Thanks John. It was worth checking, and keywords will get them across for me.

I'll update when transition made on how it went   :)

Dave

Ray R

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 04:29:19 pm »

Following on from John's comment as you may be new to Lightroom - If you are going to import all your images you could create a smart collection on the keyword for each collection.

Might be worth looking at before you begin the import.

Ray

DaveRichardson

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 06:32:03 pm »

Thanks Ray, again good advice.

Dave

DaveRichardson

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 09:08:31 pm »

This evening I downloaded lightroom and imported a small set of images just to experiment.

On the plus side - I can see how to get the keywording and collections to work with my workflow - thanks to all who commented above.

On the downside, I have hit a couple of serious issues which I will need to overcome in order to make Lightroom useable for me.

1. The develop module is SLOW. If I hold down the alt key and move the black or white slider there is a significant lag as the slider catches up to the mouse and the screen changes. I don't see any such lag in ACR (v9.6) on the same raw images.
This is on a reasonably quick PC with 64GB RAM an overclocked i7-3930K CPU an AMD HD7970 1Mhz 3GB graphics card  and an SSD program drive + 3 data drives running Windows 10 Pro.

2. I run three monitors and I don't seem to be able to choose on which monitor to run the second Lightroom screen. My previous workflow had Bridge on the left, ACR/Photoshop on the centre and the Photoshop palettes and toolbars on the right.

Looks like a bit of research is called for before I go any further.

Dave

DaveRichardson

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 07:54:34 am »

Quick update. Still importing groups of images (several years worth to go yet). Doing this a year at a time and using the opportunity to revise/tidy up keywording etc.

On the two issues I described in my last post:
1. Delays using the develop module. I tried with graphics processor checked and unchecked but both had delays where ACR did not. Then last night all was well. I don't know why - perhaps lightroom was busy working on the images I had imported. Whatever the reason, it seems OK now. ???
2. Multi monitor handling is a bit of a pain - but looks like I will have to get used to it. Feature request for a future update?

So far I can't say whether I find the filtering/collections tools are better in Lightroom than Bridge, bearing in mind that all my images are available on disks attached to the PC (i.e. none offline). They are different and the change will take a bit of getting used to, but both are good tools in their own way. I am happy that XMP development settings, keywords, metadata updates are readable by bridge /ACR so I can use the best tool for the job in hand (and allow myself a bit of learning time).

I have printed - but later will run some prints from lightroom and from my old photoshop (size , sharpen, print) workflow to see if I can see any difference.

Dave

Pages: [1]   Go Up