Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Photoshop CC Problem  (Read 4648 times)

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
Photoshop CC Problem
« on: June 18, 2016, 03:16:53 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why, with Photoshop CC, the default keystroke Shift-F5 (for fill) does nothing with my Macbook Pro but works with my Mac Mini? I have the current version of Photoshop CC installed, but it has been this way with earlier versions for over one year. I checked the keystroke menu for Fill on the MBP and it has the correct keystroke setting for that function.

Rand47

Re: Photoshop CC Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:29:31 pm »

Can anyone explain to me why, with Photoshop CC, the default keystroke Shift-F5 (for fill) does nothing with my Macbook Pro but works with my Mac Mini? I have the current version of Photoshop CC installed, but it has been this way with earlier versions for over one year. I checked the keystroke menu for Fill on the MBP and it has the correct keystroke setting for that function.

I'm not Mac, but on my Windows machine it sometimes will not work with the key-stroke command, "the first time."  If I go to the menu, and do it from the drop down, it will work.  After that, the key-stroke works for the rest of the session.  Give that a try and see if you get a similar response.  I've wondered if this is some kind of glitch, myself.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:27:29 am »

on  a mac, the function keys do not operate by default as "function" keys but control other functions.  For example F1 and F2 control screen brightness, f 10, 11, and 12 control volume functions.

There are two options.  You can hold the fn key down whenever you want the F keys to operate "normally"  (so in your example you would hold Shift-fn and press F5.)

You can also open the keyboard preference pane and set the F keys to operate as standard function keys, and then hold the fn key down  to operate the mac alternate control.  I think many Mac photoshop users do this as the function keys are used frequently in Photoshop. Most mac programs don't leverage the function keys so the majority of the mac user base get more  use from Apple defined setup.

BTW, if you don't use the "fade" function (or rarely use it) which is the default for command-F you can change the keystrokes in Photoshop so command F brings up the fill dialog.  That's what I've done as I use the fill function all the time, and rarely use the fade function. (which I've set to Command/Shift F)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 04:14:07 pm by Wayne Fox »

sniper

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 11:46:08 am »

on  a mac, the function keys do not operate by default as "function" keys but control other functions.  For example F1 and F2 control screen brightness, f 10, 11, and 12 control volume functions.

There are two options.  You can hold the fn key down whenever you want the F keys to operate "normally"  (so in your example you would hold Shift-fn and press F5.)

You can also open the keyboard preference pane and set the F keys to operate as standard function keys, and then hold the fn key down  to operate the mac alternate control.  I think many Mac photoshop users do this as the function keys are used frequently in Photoshop. Most mac programs don't leverage the function keys so the majority of the mac user base get more  use from Apple defined setup.

BTW, if you don't use the "fade" function (or rarely use it) which is the default for command-F you can change the keystrokes in Photoshop so command F brings up the fill dialog.  That's what I've done as I use the fill function all the time, and rarely use the fade fiction. (which I've set to Command/Shift F)
You learn something every day!  Thanks.
Regards Wayne

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:46:42 am »

Great tip on swapping Fade and Fill Wayne - thanks!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

rxchaos

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 07:34:59 am »

BTW, if you don't use the "fade" function (or rarely use it) which is the default for command-F you can change the keystrokes in Photoshop so command F brings up the fill dialog.  That's what I've done as I use the fill function all the time, and rarely use the fade fiction. (which I've set to Command/Shift F)

Isn't Fade cmd+shift+F  and cmd+F  'Last Filter'?

Lundberg02

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 10:21:34 pm »

My Apple keyboard has F1 thru F16 three speaker keys and an eject key in the top row. There is no fn key anywhere.

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 10:24:14 pm »

Isn't Fade cmd+shift+F  and cmd+F  'Last Filter'?
you might be right.  To be honest I never use last filter.  I thought when I changed fill to command - f, I setup Fade to command-shift-f , but it looks like that was already that way, and my last filter no longer has a shortcut. I did this several years ago.

Sorry for the confusion.

I guess my main point is it is easy to setup to use simple keystrokes for what you use the most, you don't have to stick with the adobe defined ones.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 10:30:24 pm by Wayne Fox »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 10:28:23 pm »

My Apple keyboard has F1 thru F16 three speaker keys and an eject key in the top row. There is no fn key anywhere.
Is it an Apple brand keyboard? If it is the bluetooth keyboard or a laptop the key is usually the very bottom left key next to the control key. If it s a full size keyboard with number pad then it the key immediately right of the delete key.

Lundberg02

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2016, 01:57:26 am »

That key is labelled "help" on my white Apple logo keyboard.

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2016, 04:10:37 am »

Is it an Apple brand keyboard? If it is the bluetooth keyboard or a laptop the key is usually the very bottom left key next to the control key. If it s a full size keyboard with number pad then it the key immediately right of the delete key.

It's immediately above the "delete" key on mine, just below F13 in the block between the main and the numeric keypad.

That key is labelled "help" on my white Apple logo keyboard.

How old is your keyboard? Take a snap with a phone and post it.

Jeremy
Pages: [1]   Go Up