Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finally Got Lightroom!  (Read 2449 times)

Kevin Gallagher

Finally Got Lightroom!
« on: June 18, 2016, 02:44:22 pm »

Since my "conversion" to the OS X universe I've been clinging to using Aperture and kept putting off making the inevitable change to something else. I finally realized that since Aperture is no longer being updated for new cameras that the time had come. As much as I first detested the idea, I must admit that for me, the $10.00 per month for LR&PS was too good to pass up. The installation and a couple of small updates went fine. After much hemming and hawing I made a backup copy of my Aperture library and proceeded to do the import from Aperture thing on LR. It took some time but it went very smoothly, at first I was a bit disappointed that my files were all placed into date labeled folders instead of retaining the project names from Aperture but after a bit of prowling around and some RTFM I was pleasantly surprised to find that all of the project names were indeed retained, they are under the Collection window now. I'm looking forward to learning more about LR so now it's off the the LULA videos  :)

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Finally Got Lightroom!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 02:53:26 pm »

Good luck with it Kevin. Sounds like you are off to a good start. On top of those excellent videos on this website, I would recommend Martin Evening's Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6 book and Victoria Bampton's Lightroom FAQ e-book. Both are fine resources. Martin's (700 page) book sits by my left hand, as there isn't anything I've had to consult about that isn't there, and well treated.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 04:16:23 pm »

Hiya Mark!! I've just downloaded the sample chapter of Victoria's book and also her free quick start guide. Looks like I'll be spending some time with them this afternoon. I already learned one real important thing from watching  a couple of the first series of videos with Michael & Jeff, don't delete the files after importing them!! I would most likely have done exactly that, yikes!!

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2016, 04:28:14 pm »

Yikes indeed, because when you import, if you are set-up to "Add", the files themselves aren't moving and no duplicate files are being created. All that happens is that the Lightroom catalog creates pointers to the files at their current location, scoops up the metadata and creates a preview (Standard or Full Resolution depending on your settings). So if you delete the file from your drive you're toast. LR is a file manager and editor, not a repository of the files themselves. Indeed, good to know! :-)

Steve House

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 08:27:49 am »

...I already learned one real important thing from watching  a couple of the first series of videos with Michael & Jeff, don't delete the files after importing them!! I would most likely have done exactly that, yikes

Use LR to COPY the files from your card to your working drive folders.  (I strongly prefer to take the card out of the camera and use a card reader rather than using the camera's USB port to transfer files.) I like to take advantage of LR's ability to make a secondary back-up copy of the camera originals to a different location - in my case I use a separate external drive - at the same time.  Specifically I use 'Copy as DNG' to get the originals from the camera card to my internal working HD during import and simultaneously convert them from NEF to DNG.  LR copies the original NEFs to my archive folder on the external backup drive at the same time. Only after verifying that the files have been successfully copied/converted to the proper working folders during import into LR's catalog AND also the secondary copies are safely on the external backup drive as well do I return the card to my camera and format it to clear it for further use.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 09:41:49 am »

Use LR to COPY the files from your card to your working drive folders.  (I strongly prefer to take the card out of the camera and use a card reader rather than using the camera's USB port to transfer files.) I like to take advantage of LR's ability to make a secondary back-up copy of the camera originals to a different location - in my case I use a separate external drive - at the same time.  Specifically I use 'Copy as DNG' to get the originals from the camera card to my internal working HD during import and simultaneously convert them from NEF to DNG.  LR copies the original NEFs to my archive folder on the external backup drive at the same time. Only after verifying that the files have been successfully copied/converted to the proper working folders during import into LR's catalog AND also the secondary copies are safely on the external backup drive as well do I return the card to my camera and format it to clear it for further use.

Hi Steve and thanks for explaining your workflow, the idea of doing a backup as you "import" the files sounds like a very good idea.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell

Leszek Piotrowski

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:57:17 pm »

I also switched over to Lightroom from Aperture, but back in 2012. In addition to the books mentioned by Mark, I might also suggest to you the book by Jeff Schewe , "The Digital Negative" 2nd edition.  I found this book extremely helpful in getting up to speed on post processing using Lightroom. The books written by Martin Evening covering Lightroom and Photoshop were also of great benefit to me.

cheers,
Leszek, G

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:30:10 am »

Yes, I agree. Jeff's book is excellent - very strong on photographic editing techniques in particular, but much other good stuff as well.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 10:55:19 am »

Les and Mark, thanks to you both for the suggestions. I already have Mr. Jeff's book as well as his digital print one. So many wonderful books to choose from!

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
 George Orwell
Pages: [1]   Go Up