Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 4800 settings...color & black and white  (Read 4665 times)

Pete JF

4800 settings...color & black and white
« on: June 01, 2006, 09:03:21 pm »

HI all,

I've set up this 4800 and I have some questions regarding popular driver settings.

I have been  using Imageprint for a few years now and I rarely mess with the Epson drivers so stay with me here...I haven't gotten my IP upgrade yet and I want to print with this thing.

1) I want a reliable setting for color prints. I have found some info out there...let photoshop determine etc...and, I always used to use "no color adjustment" in my older epsons. No rpb finding the "no color adjustment" setting but Im having a devil of time finding the "let photoshop do its thing" checkbox....Is this in print with preview?

also..are the canned profiles that I dpwnloaded from the Epson site the ones everyone is speaking so highly of? Susposed to be made by Bill Atkinson? Im a bit stumped on that one

Anyhow, could someone clue me in as to a good reference, or, could someone just lay it all for me here...I did a search but coouldn't find any agreed upon settings...

2) Advanced Black and White as well...geeez, darker, darker, darkest? couldn't Epson have come up with a better way?

Is there any sort of reliable preview system here? Do you guys have any foolproof BW settings.

Im using Epson pro semimatte for now but once I get IP I plan on using some of the fiber gloss papers that have appeared. I do believe I like the Innova fibre gloss F

Do prints from the "neutral" setting look warm to you guys? They do to me. I haven't been able to create a print that satisfies me like the ones I used make with my 2200 and Imageprint 6.0. Am I doing something wrong.

Anyhow.."let photoshop do its thing"...someone help me with htis and everything...I'll send you some bubble gum cigarettes. : )

Sorry for all the questions but Im riding a new printer curve and I want to get up to speed
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 09:05:46 pm by Pete JF »

Pete JF

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 11:17:55 am »

Wondering why my "print with preview" window is different than most I've seen and does not give me the option of "no color management".

Im in mac os 10.3.9....by the way, is there anyone out there?

sgwrx

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 08:46:18 pm »

this actually killed me for a while too.  finally i found this:

in PS CS anyway...

Source Space is supposed to be set to the document space.

The Print Space is supposed to be set to whatever profile you want to print with and whatever rendering intent.

There is no "let photoshop manage colors" or whatever option. Nice huh?

PS - this Print Space also has an option WAY up at the top that says "Printer color manangement" which is to be used when you want to let the printer do color management such as Advanced B&W printing.

And of course, as you said, you found the Epson driver settings for "ICM off, no color managment".

sgwrx

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 08:53:52 pm »

actually, i take that back, in CS2 there is an option for "Let photoshop determine colors"

i found all this out by reading and understanding pages 100 to 116 in Color Mgmt for Photographers. great book.

also, Mastering Digital Printing Second Edition was great too!

Pete JF

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 11:54:31 pm »

SGW,

Im in straight old CS...CS1 or whatever it's called. I do believe that the "let photoshop determine colors" must be in CS2. I've searched and read stuff and I always find this suggestion for let PS determine colors and have scoured my puny CS1 for it...that's why.

So in CS1 it's source space=document space and print space =paper profile?

Thanks..I'll try it and report in on what hap

sgwrx

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 12:05:44 am »

yep.

so if the image you're working on is sRGB or ProPhoto space, that's going to be the document space.  the print space is going to be a paper profile like Epson Premium Luster or Ilford Pearl.

Pete JF

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:25:01 am »

SGW,

After reading your post I realized that I had tried that approach. the results weren't very accurate for me...im a little stumped at this point.

sgwrx

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 01:57:31 am »

hm. that stumps me too.

Jack Varney

• http://
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 04:36:52 pm »

Pete,

Color-Darkroom website has an essay describing the color management settings for PS CS here  http://www.computer-darkroom.com/ps8_colour/ps8_1.htm.
Jack Varney
Pages: [1]   Go Up