Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?  (Read 183718 times)

landscapephoto

Re: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?
« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2016, 01:06:31 pm »

I too used a cheap Chinese remote on my H3D, it was at least as good as Hasselblad's expensive option. I neither own nor have the desire to own a smartphone.

I simply can't believe this glaring omission by Hasselblad.

Maybe Hasselblad believes that the people who can buy a 8000€ camera (plus the money for the lens) can also spend 500€ for a smartphone?

landscapephoto

« Reply #601 on: July 26, 2016, 03:09:12 pm »

Maybe I need to explain a bit more.

When Hasselblad designs a new camera like the X1D, they need to sell it to a few thousands customers. It seems that their idea of the X1D customer group orbits around people who already own a smartphone. That you are not in that group is unfortunate, but they are trying to please the larger group.

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2016, 04:30:02 pm »

+1
I would gladly use it in case of an emergency but I'd prefer a google times to use a dedicated remote.

Even if I owned a smartphone I wouldn't want to use it as a release. What I would want to use is a simple cable release as I did on every Hasselblad I ever used.

EDIT: I should add that a well respected contributor to this website who is closely associated with Hasselblad predicted that I would be one of the first to buy the X1D. Never going to happen if a dumbphone is the only option as a release.

landscapephoto

« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2016, 05:14:11 pm »

Even if I owned a smartphone I wouldn't want to use it as a release. What I would want to use is a simple cable release as I did on every Hasselblad I ever used.

You don't need to convince me. I am perfectly happy with a simple release and do not want to have to use an app either. It is just that, for whatever reason, neither you nor me are the user group Hasselblad built the X1D for, apparently.

Lust4Life

• Shadows Dancing
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2016, 05:38:31 pm »

Overall I would say that a product is a game changer when a sufficient percentage of the target buyers agree it is a game changer.

Considering the very positive response the X1D has received from target buyers, it may be one.

I am still on the fence, haven't had the chance to play with one yet, but it sure looks interesting and is IMHO by far the most interesting move in the MF world in a long time.

Cheers,

I agree with Bernard!
I have great hope this camera will drop 4 to 5 pounds from my camera bag and deliver images of the quality I get with the H5D-50c WiFi I currently own.  I've ordered the X1D, just today, and the lens adapter so I can use my current 28 and 100 on it until the lens stable expands to cover what FOV I like.  But, bitch all you want, it's a game changer for anyone wanting 16bit files and 50MP RAW images.  And I'm putting my money where my "keyboard" key are (mouth is).

Bernard

NickT

« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2016, 07:48:55 pm »

Hey Keith
To be fair to Hasselblad I think this was conceived as a "walk around" camera rather than something to be mounted on a tripod. BTW I have asked the question re remotes on your behalf.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2016, 08:02:24 pm »

30 plus pages of comments and we get bogged down on a cable release?
I guess that means it's pretty good.
I agree it should take a cable but if the camera doesn't have a mirror and it doesn't have a focal plane shutter than the two main causes of shake are gone.
A 2 sec delay would overcome most finger problems for most people. If you need instant then reach for the phone (until V2 no doubt).
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2016, 08:52:27 pm »

Lust4Life, the above is a post I made towards the beginning of this thread and I haven't changed my mind.

I agree the X1D is a game changer, I'm merely bitching the detail.

So it's not a pug? :P

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

hubell

« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:22 pm »

Lust4Life, the above is a post I made towards the beginning of this thread and I haven't changed my mind.

I agree the X1D is a game changer, I'm merely bitching the detail.
I do carry an iPhone, but I agree with Keith. A hard wired cable release should be made available. I have tried using my iPhone to operate my Sony A7RII and I find it buggy at best. I actually find myself using the self timer in the Sony A7RII rather than the remote cable release because the connection to the camera is not very convenient for attaching the cable release.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #609 on: July 27, 2016, 12:49:38 am »

An IR remote would be fine too, but I also wouldn't want to have to use a wifi connection to trigger the camera, they never work when you want them to. Plus smartphones run out of battery way too early in the wild.

The current status simply rules out the X1D as a serious landscape camera. IMHO.

But it was probably never meant to be one?

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #610 on: July 27, 2016, 07:50:51 am »

Or moving subjects. I do fine with 2s delay, mostly but it is not workable when good timing is needed.

Best regards
Erik

BTW, delay is not an option in fast moving light.
Erik Kaffehr

Brent Daniels

« Reply #611 on: July 27, 2016, 09:37:02 am »

Hey Keith
To be fair to Hasselblad I think this was conceived as a "walk around" camera rather than something to be mounted on a tripod. BTW I have asked the question re remotes on your behalf.

Hey Nick
Ummm does this "walk around" camera have a tripod screw mount on it? Just asking as I have not seen a pic of the bottom of it anywhere.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #612 on: July 27, 2016, 10:06:20 am »

An IR remote would be fine too, but I also wouldn't want to have to use a wifi connection to trigger the camera, they never work when you want them to. Plus smartphones run out of battery way too early in the wild.

Hi Bernard,

There are other third party Wireless possibilities (assuming the use of an electronic Cable release is possible and a cable available). I've used my PocketWizards for remote release (on another camera), and a radio controlled release (made by Phottix). Both are quite reliable.

The current status simply rules out the X1D as a serious landscape camera. IMHO.

A bit too harsh and generic, but I agree it's an improvement opportunity for those who use the camera on a tripod and/or need to trigger the shutter wirelessly/remotely.

What also remains to be seen is the vibration that 'the camera' actually still generates due to closing down the lens aperture / opening/closing of the leaf shutter, and if repositioning to support the camera below the center of gravity helps.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #613 on: July 27, 2016, 10:10:05 am »

Hey Nick
Ummm does this "walk around" camera have a tripod screw mount on it? Just asking as I have not seen a pic of the bottom of it anywhere.

Hi Brent,

According to the user manual, it has a "Quick coupling tripod plate".

Cheers,
Bart

Brent Daniels

« Reply #614 on: July 27, 2016, 10:37:00 am »

Thanks Bart. Due to the well connected NickT's comment of being designed for "walk around" maybe not tripod use, and the lack of the flash sync & remote release plugs (base pro features on every Hasselblad previously made) I thought it prudent to specifically ask Nick.

shaun

« Reply #615 on: July 27, 2016, 10:49:41 am »

Went through numerous hasselblad cable release before realising canons simplest cheapest release did the same thing and never breaks. I use a cable release for 80% so will wait it out. Used a smart phone release too but battery power is an issue. Can't believe this is for real no min jack cable release provision.
Shaun

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #616 on: July 27, 2016, 11:45:21 am »

Thanks Bart. Due to the well connected NickT's comment of being designed for "walk around" maybe not tripod use, and the lack of the flash sync & remote release plugs (base pro features on every Hasselblad previously made) I thought it prudent to specifically ask Nick.

Quite right you are. I accidentally looked at the wrong User manual though, it's even simpler for the 1XD-50c, a regular tripod screw connection seems to be present, judging from the images.

Cheers,
Bart

P.S. I wonder if the USB connection can be used to trigger the shutter.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 11:59:02 am by BartvanderWolf »

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #617 on: July 27, 2016, 12:01:17 pm »

A bit too harsh and generic, but I agree it's an improvement opportunity for those who use the camera on a tripod and/or need to trigger the shutter wirelessly/remotely.

Needless to say, I am only speaking for myself.

No way on earth I'd want to trust shutter release to wifi when the proven cable release is so well implemented in many other cameras with a clear landscape focus.

Doesn't mean I don't find the X1D interesting.

Cheers,
Bernard

landscapephoto

« Reply #618 on: July 27, 2016, 04:14:27 pm »

Hey Keith

Can you please ask them to consider that a cable release could use either the USB plug or the microphone plug? The latter may even be simpler, depending on the design of the mic interface, the presence of plug-in power, etc...

Brent Daniels

« Reply #619 on: July 27, 2016, 05:41:45 pm »

Hasselblad digital backs such as my H3Dll-39ms have in / out ports (same size plugs as audio in/out) that are used for connecting and communicating with lens & shutter systems on technical cameras. Possibly the audio in/out ports on the 1DX can be used for this by way of a firmware and a menu item. 

The present connection allows me to control the Rollei lens/shutters directly from Phocus when tethered. This includes adjusting shutter settings, activating LV, and recording all electronic shutter data to the image metadata. So at present it is not just a basic sync connection.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32   Go Up