Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?  (Read 183818 times)

Jlister

Re: Hasselblad's "game changer" 22nd of June?
« Reply #500 on: June 23, 2016, 08:55:08 am »

I don't understand the complaint about the evf. Isn't it he same as the Sony A7RII which IMO is amazing?

E.J. Peiker

• http://www.ejphoto.com
« Reply #501 on: June 23, 2016, 09:15:14 am »

Hum, from a UI standpoint this is poor. You need to take your eyes off the EVF.

Cheers,
Bernard

If it's implemented like some other touchscreens you do not.  You simply place your finger on the LCD while looking through the viewfinder and as you drag your finger across the screen you see the focus point move.  Don't know if the Hassy does it this way but it does work on other cameras.

torger

« Reply #502 on: June 23, 2016, 09:37:36 am »

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/hasselblad-x1d-1323848/review

"As it's a mirrorless camera the X1D has an electronic viewfinder from Seiko (aka Epson) rather than an optical one, with 2.36 million dots giving a reasonably detailed view. According to Bengtson the company didn't opt for a higher-resolution screen because it would have reduced the refresh rate."

camgarner

• cgarnerphoto.com
« Reply #503 on: June 23, 2016, 10:50:48 am »

I get all the "shortcomings" that have been noted.  We all have slightly different needs and we all wish for more.  For me, this seems like it works.  I do primarily landscapes and seascapes.  I think this will be an ideal backup camera for my XF100 and for days that I want to travel light this should fit the bill.  I have looked at and shot with the Sony A7r2 and I can't stand the menu system.  I know it's a good system but it just doesn't work for me.  I look forward to trying the X1D.

AlterEgo

« Reply #504 on: June 23, 2016, 11:13:30 am »

but I am still very happy with what I have.

or she reads the forum  ;D

hasselbladfan

« Reply #505 on: June 23, 2016, 11:20:46 am »

haplo602

« Reply #506 on: June 23, 2016, 11:34:38 am »

At first I was like WOW, good job Hasselblad. After some thought, I realized they created a very niche camera.

Basically a landscape shooter dream if he/she does not need movements: small and portable, high DR, high resolution, will see about the lenses. Product photographers may consider this one as well.

Other than that (f.e. portrait and anything where frequent re/focusing is part of the job) it's not much usable.

But as a first step into a new area (MF ML), it is a good attempt. I hope the evolution of this will net us some interesting cameras in the future.

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2016, 12:02:16 pm »

Someone else eg. Fuji or Sony, who don't need a crippled second string product, will do better.

Edmund

At first I was like WOW, good job Hasselblad. After some thought, I realized they created a very niche camera.

Basically a landscape shooter dream if he/she does not need movements: small and portable, high DR, high resolution, will see about the lenses. Product photographers may consider this one as well.

Other than that (f.e. portrait and anything where frequent re/focusing is part of the job) it's not much usable.

But as a first step into a new area (MF ML), it is a good attempt. I hope the evolution of this will net us some interesting cameras in the future.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

hubell

« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2016, 12:46:44 pm »

Someone else eg. Fuji or Sony, who don't need a crippled second string product, will do better.

Edmund

Your assessment of the X1D's virtues and flaws are all about YOUR expectations of what a medium format mirrorless camera should offer. For me, and I think I am not alone, there are two critical features of a medium format digital mirrorless camera. First is the form factor. Is it light and compact? Does it handle well? Is the menu system simple and intuitive? Do I enjoy using it as a tool? The second relates to the lenses. Are they relatively small and compact and optically excellent? So far, it appears that Hasselblad has met those design goals in spades. Would I like a focal plane shutter? Not critical to me. And definitely not if the byproduct is shutter shock like the original Sony A7R. Would I like it to use the Sony 100MP sensor? Sure, but at what cost in terms of price and size. Would I like IBIS, fast Phase Detection AF, better EVF, etc.? Sure, but they are not critical for me and many others. At the end of the day, every camera is a set of design compromises that involves trade offs. There are many photographers who have dreamed of a digital version of the Mamiya 7. The X1D appears to be that and much more, but we need to wait till final versions go out into the real world and are put to the fire. And if anyone for a minute thinks that Sony or Fuji will come out with their own medium format mirrorless camera with a full complement of lenses that satisfies everyone's checklist and works perfectly, dream on.

AlterEgo

« Reply #509 on: June 23, 2016, 12:49:13 pm »

Your assessment of the X1D's virtues and flaws are all about YOUR expectations of what a medium format mirrorless camera should offer.

and are expectations from FF mirrorless format different ? or are they different from APS-C , M43 and Nikon1 ? they are the all the same  ;D

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #510 on: June 23, 2016, 01:10:06 pm »

There are many photographers who have dreamed of a digital version of the Mamiya 7.

I think that's right on the money.

And it's funny, but whilst I vaguely mused about Hasselblads and Pentax's and Contax's and Rolleis and so forth back in the days of film, the only film medium format camera I ever actually owned was a Mamiya 7, which I liked very much. So no wonder it seems like an attractive proposition to me.

I don't think Hasselblad were in any position to come up with an A7Rii technological powerhouse or a CaNikon beating autofocus sports shooting monster. But a digital MF Mamiya 7? Well played, Hasselblad.

Cheers, Hywel

MoreOrLess

« Reply #511 on: June 23, 2016, 01:15:20 pm »

Edmund

Perhaps nobody else will release anything as the market isn't large enough to justify the cost of a product with functionality we see in smaller formats?

adriantyler

« Reply #512 on: June 23, 2016, 01:51:14 pm »

i think given fuji's background in mf film cameras we may well see something from them, and if it's anything like their current small sensor lineup i would guess that it'll be good.
it's nice to see this new camera, but i won't be jumping in on the v1.0, and my intuition tells me that fuji's (possible) offering would be interesting.

eronald

« Reply #513 on: June 23, 2016, 02:02:22 pm »

i think given fuji's background in mf film cameras we may well see something from them, and if it's anything like their current small sensor lineup i would guess that it'll be good.
it's nice to see this new camera, but i won't be jumping in on the v1.0, and my intuition tells me that fuji's (possible) offering would be interesting.

Yes, i think $4K is the pricepoint we can expect.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

adriantyler

« Reply #514 on: June 23, 2016, 02:09:10 pm »

i'd guess a bit higher, but it'll have all those stonkin' features off the bat.
and i think they'll do a better job on the design front, not sure victor would have dug on the x1d "brickie-blobbyness" either...

design_freak

« Reply #515 on: June 23, 2016, 03:44:52 pm »

So true.

The XD1 is the most exciting new medium format camera introduction since...well...I simply can't think of another.

Great fun, a modern day Mamiya 7.

+1000
Best regards,
DF

eronald

« Reply #516 on: June 23, 2016, 03:51:08 pm »

i'd guess a bit higher, but it'll have all those stonkin' features off the bat.
and i think they'll do a better job on the design front, not sure victor would have dug on the x1d "brickie-blobbyness" either...

I was playing with an Xpro2 today, and I really like what Fuji have done with the finder. It feels like a *camera*, not like a miniature PC.

Edmund

Mousecop

« Reply #517 on: June 23, 2016, 04:23:03 pm »

and are expectations from FF mirrorless format different ?
Yes.

Medium format is much more about deliberation, preparation, setup, and so forth. Although this camera is small for MF, it's not a generalist camera, it's not optimal for conventional sports / action photography.

MF is more for landscape, portraiture, architecture, still life, product photography -- situations where image quality is paramount, and factors like AF are not as important.

Plus, I don't think most MF shooters expect video capabilities, while 35mm and smaller do.

torger

« Reply #518 on: June 23, 2016, 04:36:46 pm »

If Fuji comes out with a MF mirrorless, I think it will have a richer feature set, lower price and satisfy a broader audience. It will probably have that focal plane shutter as many of us want. However I don't think this means Hasselblad has made it wrong with the X1D, what they should be doing with their capacity is a simple sexy camera with excellent optics and build quality, so far that looks good. Hasselblad is Hasselblad, Fuji is Fuji, Leica is Leica, Sony is Sony. Don't expect them to make the same products.

When I see a new camera like this I mostly think is this camera right for this brand and their market? What would I do in their shoes? Have they made the right trade-offs?

I think the discussion then becomes more interesting than approaching a new camera like "if I personally want it, it's great, otherwise it's crap".

siddhaarta

« Reply #519 on: June 23, 2016, 05:34:56 pm »

When I see a new camera like this I mostly think is this camera right for this brand and their market? What would I do in their shoes? Have they made the right trade-offs?

I think the discussion then becomes more interesting than approaching a new camera like "if I personally want it, it's great, otherwise it's crap".

Very true … and in this line of thinking Hasselblad nailed it.

Also we should not forget that the adaptation of third party lenses always has been a strategy of costumers ... more or less against the will of camera makers. They always want us to buy the whole package of camera and lenses. The two prominent exceptions, Sony A7 and Leica S have been selfish-business driven also … Sony had no good lenses at the time and the Leica S family of lenses was also very small in the beginning (+ limited by production capacities), so the manufacturing of lens adapters was a smart move, lowering the $$$ hurdles and buying them some time.

Hasselblad has the whole, very complete HC/D family, so why invite the competition to the buffet.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 32   Go Up