Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waterfall on the edge  (Read 1931 times)

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
Waterfall on the edge
« on: June 16, 2016, 04:28:51 pm »

I was on the edge of the rocks holding the camera out to capture this one.

Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: Waterfall on the edge
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:49:22 pm »

Eh... this one definitely needs b&w... ugly water color.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 04:07:03 am »

Really good one. I like the water colour, makes a good contrast with the blue in the sky.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 04:16:59 am »

I wouldn't expect a raging torrent to be without colour. If it was it would look false. A crop at the top to just above the central trees would imo be an improvement because the image is all about the river and the sky is a mere back drop which is too large in the frame. The flow of the water is just right but this is subjective. An image that can be improved because there are nice elements to look at.

Cornfield

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 05:08:34 am »

Looks just like good Scottish water with peat adding the colour around my area.

DaveRichardson

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 08:10:58 am »

I like the composition and the water colour. I am not keen on the aberrations in the trees at top left.

Dave

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 10:23:30 am »

I like the composition and the water colour. I am not keen on the aberrations in the trees at top left.

Dave
+1.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 12:41:28 pm »

Some of you need to move to Flint, Michigan ;)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 06:52:41 pm »

Really good one. I like the water colour, makes a good contrast with the blue in the sky.

I think I agree with this.

Perhaps not as 'sublime' as turquoise water, the deep earth coloration nonetheless is authentic, and conveys a sense of power and the primal, making it unique.

Lord knows there are enough "long-shutter, smooth-white-water" photos that only bring a yawn now.

This image is different, and vigorous; I like it :D

Kiwi Paul

• My flickr
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »

Thanks for all the comments, always nice when a photo creates interesting conversation.
As a matter of interest this shot was tricky to compose, I had to sit on the edge of the rocks and hold the camera with one hand arm extended looking at the screen to get the composition and press the shutter at the right moment.
It was taken with an A7R2 + 12mm Voigtlander lens. One problem was the spray from the waterfall meant I had to be quick, basically extend the camera get the composition ASAP before any water got on the lens and shoot. It took about 6 shots to get this composition, the other 5 weren't quite right. I didn't realise at the time but the shutter speed was 1/10, it was a good speed to give the water a mild blur without overdoing it but also resulted in some motion blur, it's actually not very sharp, It looks OK but when I zoomed in to sharpen it I was very disappointed to see motion blur, I wasn't going to do anything with the photo because of it but I did like the composition and other aspects of the photo so decided to make it a keeper anyway.
The CV12 is a cracking lens, (manual everything), very, sharp, great detail and rendition but can be prone to CA's, I thought I'd cleaned them up but it must have got overlooked.
On the processing side, I used LR initially then used NIK Colour Effects Pro 4 to bring out more detail and contrast etc. While I like the effect the NIK software can produce I'm still learning it and it can cause halo's and other unwanted anomalies if your not careful.
Sony A7R3 + FE 12-24, 24-105, 70-300
Sony RX100 Mk6
Pages: [1]   Go Up