Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Enthusiasts - favorite pocket camera (besides phone)?  (Read 11766 times)

NancyP

Enthusiasts - favorite pocket camera (besides phone)?
« on: June 15, 2016, 10:02:14 am »

Yes, we all use the phone on occasion - for me, a 1 M sensor jpg is just fine for phone-size snapshots. But....
I keep thinking about getting a pocket-sized compact that I could carry around 24/7 in a pocket or runner's fanny pack or in (god forbid) a belt-mounted pouch. Said camera would be most likely have a 1" or M4/3 sensor camera with a fixed lens with modest zoom range in the range equivalent to 24-70 to 24-100mm. Examples would be Panasonic LX100 or Sony RX100(II, III, or IV). I am hoping that people who use cameras of this size range will comment on their favorite one or one you tried and which drove you nuts.

sdwilsonsct

Re: Enthusiasts - favorite pocket camera (besides phone)?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:27:15 pm »

... or Sony RX100(II, III, or IV).

Nancy, I am very happy with an RX100 I. Limitations -- lots, but nice images and it fits in a pocket.
And I am cheap.

Trevor Murgatroyd

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 01:25:34 pm »

Here is another vote for RX100. I have the Mark II and have not bothered upgrading because the images are so good already. To my surprise I find that some of my favorite images are captured with this camera rather than my Olympus OMD EM5 II with three Pro lenses. It's a combination of the really good quality of the camera itself and "the best camera is the one you have with you". I am starting to find even the M43 Olympus system irritatingly large for much of my photography.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 02:59:30 pm »

Right now I go straight from smartphone to Panasonic GX8. That's it. All other modern gear is stowed and much of it will likely be sold later this year. I use the GX8 with seven lenses, zooms and single focal lengths, covering the 12–400mm range. Do the "equivalent" math for formats other than m43. No more than two lenses at a time. Reducing options has boosted the fun factor and IMO improved my seeing too. Me happy.  :D

-Dave-

stever

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2016, 06:30:37 pm »

i'd also recommend the RX100.  I still have the I, but an EVF would be very useful in bright light. it really is nice to have a pocket camera that can produce decent size prints.

the LX100 is not so pocketable.  the zs100 is tempting for the built-in evf instead of the fiddly Sony pop-up and of course the long lens (which is not up to the quality of the Sony) - however the RX100s have a reputation for lens variation - i would have purchased a RX100iii but tested it and found the lens no better than the old I, and the later lenses aren't faster over most of the zoom range.

i have put a GX7 in the pocket of a field jacket or equivalent and would recommend a new GX85 over the LX100 (or GX8 to avoid dealing with shutter shock).  A GX8 or GX85 can certainly serve in place of a large camera much of the time and a pocket camera some of the time - but you don't just stick it in your pocket as you walk out the door

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 01:09:45 am »

My RX100M3. Could not praise it enough.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 02:45:56 am »

For six years it's been my Panasonic LX-5. Small and great IQ within reason. When I didn't want to pack my Nikons, this was my go-to. However, now I'm shooting more and more with my Panasonic GX-7 and Olympus OM-D 5 II which are mid-way between the two. Better IQ than the LX-5 for sure.

If my LX-5 wasn't still working well, I'd probably go with the LX100. Fast and sharp lens, newer tech, slightly larger than the LX-5.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 04:22:32 am »

I got the 1st generation RX100 back in 2012, never clicked with me, don't know why. I think sometimes miniaturization can have negative effects in terms of ergonomics, and if the camera were just a tiny larger, it would be much better for me. My son still uses it though, and it even survived a 1 month summer camping trip last year, so it must be good.

The LX100 seems like a good option, as does the Canon 1" series (GX5, GX7). I would wait until the new Nikon DL cameras are finally available , they look to be really nice.

Personally, these days I prefer prime lenses, so I would also look into compacts like the X100, or Ricoh GR. The Nikon Coolpix A must be really cheap these days?

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 06:51:32 am »

I used to use a Panasonic GF1 with 20mm pancake lens or 12-35mm zoom for this, but in the end I found the step up in quality compared with a recent-gen iPhone wasn't worth the extra bulk and weight.

So now I take the iPhone as my "camera I always have on me" and just take the hit on more size and weight if I'm going to be shooting anything "seriously" and take the A7Rii. With the 55mm or 28mm lens it can be quite compact- not pocketable, but rucksack-strap-mounted-pouch-able at least. I take the GH4 and 20 or 12-35 mm lenses for longer lightweight trips where the battery life wins over the Sony.

Cheers, Hywel

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 12:21:46 pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions. We don't have an abundance of RAW-shooting higher-end compacts around the local camera stores - somewhat frustrating, because ergonomics and ease of use (control layout relative to hand, direct control of aperture and shutter speed, quality of viewfinder, quality of live view on back LCD) are the most interesting specs in tiny cameras.

adriantyler

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2016, 03:22:25 pm »

the sony rx1 with it's fixed 35mm zeiss f2 lens is a wonderful camera. the last camera i coveted this much was my hasselblad swc. i loved the ebony su45 too... but not pocket size, but really the rx1 is -for me- in that league.  when emmet gowin was over here this is what he had in his pocket, there you go!

chez

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2016, 04:14:07 pm »

I use the Fuji X100 as my pocketable camera...yes it fits into my jacket pockets. I take it road bike riding and cross country skiing. Great camera that produces excellent results...even jpegs.

geesbert

• http://www.randlkofer.com
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2016, 04:17:10 pm »

I had the RX100 mk1 and mk2, which I never really liked. now I got the mk4, which is brilliant. it is the perfect companion for both a phone and any high end camera, as it does, what both the others can't. Films quite well, too.

-------------------------
[url=http://ww

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 06:40:36 pm »

I have the nikon J5 as pocket camera...

very nice camera, especially with the standard 1.8 18.5mm lens ( 50mm FF)
As a Nikon shooter i can use all my Nikkors on it with an adapter ; a 300mm F4 becomes a 20MP 810mm F4
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2016, 12:03:38 pm »

Besides some of the really good cameras already mentioned, if you can wait a bit, these may arrive by end of June, but it's a rumor cause at one point they were supposedly delayed till the Fall...

Nikon DL rumor

My pocket cam has no zoom, but I think it's great. I bought a Ricoh GR two years ago. Added the 21mm conversion lens recently. If these focal lengths can work for you I'd highly recommend. For street work I've found nothing better. So small it is hardly noticed. Won't intimidate a fly. People just figure I'm a tourist when they do notice I'm taking pictures.

The image quality is excellent. I've used it for landscape and am really happy with results. Again. That 28mm focal length has to work for you. Not everyone likes it.

And wanting some 'distance' for my street work and not seeing anything small and good from Ricoh, I just bought an Olympus m5 mark ll. Bought the 25mm 1.8 and the 45mm 1.8 lenses from olympus as well. Not small and pocketable like some, but very good image quality and relatively small and light weight.

Years ago I used a Canon A630/A640 with a swivel lcd. I really liked working with it. Composing with that thing was just so much fun. So I've tried to duplicate that experience with some 'upgrades'  :D

I may try the tiny and inexpensive 12-32 panasonic lens on the oly body. That will get me closer to that Canon ideal I enjoyed.

good luck with your decision...

short ps...two cameras I was looking at recently but did not buy were the Canon G7x and G5x...more drawn to G5x cause it has a swivel screen. It was very small and felt great in hand. Image quality is pretty good. And they shoot raw if that's your preference.

But with the likely release of nikon's DL series in the next few months I decided to wait. I have a bevy of cameras to shoot with that make me happy.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 12:11:18 pm by Morris Taub »

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2016, 07:24:50 pm »

Yes, the new Nikons ought to be yummy. In particular, the 24-85 f/1.8-2.8 equivalent fits my general range of interest, has a tilt screen and some physical buttons/controls (not 100% touchscreen), and is 2.0" or 2.4" thick (the other dimension is 4.0"). I measured my fat wallet I carry around all the time - 2.0" thick on the nose, other dimensions 4.4" x 3.2" - this camera ought to fit in my pocket fine. I hope the local camera stores carry it - likely they will, given that they have carried Nikon and Canon better-specs non-SLRs before.

The 16-50 mm equivalent model might be good for shooting some "street" styles.

I think I will wait for the DLs to get reviewed, and to show up locally at the stores.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2016, 09:17:09 pm »

Having "lost" my RX100 first gen, I have a Nikon DL 24-85 on order.

It has IMHO the best AF of any compact and the best price/performance ratio among the premium compacts.

Back to Nikon compact after many many years with Canon and then Sony.

Cheers,
Bernard

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2016, 10:11:12 pm »

Bernard, did you get an advance look at the Nikon DL24-85?

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

Regarding "pocketable cameras," I started with a Lumix GF-1 with the nice pancake 20 but it was not really pocketable. I then got a Sony RX100, the original. It made nice images but I discovered I REALLY want my cameras to have an EVF so I sold it. I waited a while, and got a Fuji X100S to compliment my extensive Fuji XT-1 collection but though the image quality was great, and the EVF worked well, I found the lack of a zoom to be limiting in a carry around camera, and never really used the OVF. The Panasonic LX 100 has numerous weak points. I'd be sorely tempted by the new Nikons, IF they had a built in EVF. I have the same question as the OP and am tempted by the latest Sony RX100, except for the most impressive price, ($948 @ B&H) but will likely wait for Photokina at which there will either be a new camera, not yet previewed, or a new Sony RX100 mk V which might make the older models with the EVF more reasonably priced. This is a first world problem to be sure but...

stever

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 12:01:16 am »

the problem with the Nikon DL is the lack of built - in EVF.  A serious camera (even for pocket) should not have an add-on lump EVF.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up