Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Street photography in China  (Read 4216 times)

darrenr

Street photography in China
« on: June 01, 2006, 11:06:13 am »

Last year I spent some time here in Beijing working and in between times, walking the streets taking photographs.

Recently I've returned and there's one word to sum up my first impressions - wow!

This place is changing.

What do I mean by changing?

Buildings being pulled down, not just hutongs but oldish looking 3-4 story dwellings too.

And buildings are being constructed - they're building the entire olympic site from scratch!

Where is all of this taking place?  Mostly in the north of the city, outside of the 4th ring road (but a little inside it too.)

If you're into this type of thing - watching a place change - then I can heartily recommend grabbing your camera and heading over.  Don't spend too long, maybe 1-3 weeks but do come back 3-6 months later and see what's transpired since then.

There's cranes and trucks and people and cars and bikes and...

...perhaps nothing pretty like visiting the Temple of Heaven but (to some people  much more interesting.

I think my favourite scene has been the attached, so far.  You've heard of hole in the wall restaurants?  Check this out!  (please excuse the blur, I didn't have time to do the ISO dance :/)

Darren

tensai

• http://www.lokjansen.com
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 08:59:31 pm »

As an architect living in Tokyo I know what you mean. Nothing goes as fast as Beijing at the moment I guess but I had the same thing with some areas here in Tokyo after being away for two years. I've been to Beijing in 1996 and 1997 and I'm dying to go back. Its a pitty I think that so many hutongs are going down.

I couldn't see your attachment, and would love to see some photos.

Last year I spent some time here in Beijing working and in between times, walking the streets taking photographs.

Recently I've returned and there's one word to sum up my first impressions - wow!

This place is changing.

Buildings being pulled down, not just hutongs but oldish looking 3-4 story dwellings too.

And buildings are being constructed - they're building the entire olympic site from scratch!

Where is all of this taking place?  Mostly in the north of the city, outside of the 4th ring road (but a little inside it too.)

If you're into this type of thing - watching a place change - then I can heartily recommend grabbing your camera and heading over.  Don't spend too long, maybe 1-3 weeks but do come back 3-6 months later and see what's transpired since then.

...perhaps nothing pretty like visiting the Temple of Heaven but (to some people  much more interesting.

I think my favourite scene has been the attached, so far.  You've heard of hole in the wall restaurants?  Check this out!  (please excuse the blur, I didn't have time to do the ISO dance :/)

Darren
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

pinay

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 08:32:46 am »

This place is changing.

Where is all of this taking place?  Mostly in the north of the city, outside of the 4th ring road (but a little inside it too.)

If you're into this type of thing - watching a place change - then I can heartily recommend grabbing your camera and heading over.  Don't spend too long, maybe 1-3 weeks but do come back 3-6 months later and see what's transpired since then.

I think my favourite scene has been the attached, so far.  You've heard of hole in the wall restaurants?  Check this out!  (please excuse the blur, I didn't have time to do the ISO dance :/)

Darren
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67097\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

What's the best time of the year to go to Beijing?

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 09:19:02 am »

As an architect living in Tokyo I know what you mean. Nothing goes as fast as Beijing at the moment I guess but I had the same thing with some areas here in Tokyo after being away for two years. I've been to Beijing in 1996 and 1997 and I'm dying to go back. Its a pitty I think that so many hutongs are going down.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67137\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I was in Beijing a few weeks ago, and it does indeed appear to be undergoing a very deep transformation.

Shanghai is pretty amazing as well though. Actuallt, I found the current situation in Shanghai more impressive than what I saw in Pekin.

Shenzen is said to be more of the same, but I haven't been there yet. I should visit a friend who lives where, together with another one living in Honk-Kong some time this summer.

Cheers,
Bernard

darrenr

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 03:01:08 pm »

What's the best time of the year to go to Beijing?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=67160\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I believe the best time of year to be in Beijing is frm the middle of September to the middle/end of October, but this depends on the weather.  You might not have consistently good weather (more than 1 or 2 days of it in a row) until the start of October.  November can be nice, I believe, but it is starting to get cold then and is usually freezing outside by the time December rolls around.  This lasts until March.  In spring, there might be a week or two of nice weather but it doesn't last very long and the timing isn't very predictable.

At present, it is summer, most days are warm and hazy, visibility of on average 1 or 2 miles.  Then along comes some rain/thunderstorms and for 48 hours, the skies clear up and you can see blue.  The length of time the sky is "clear" is directly related to the length of time the wind blows from the west or north west.

Geographically, Beijing is at the foot of a bowl of mountains (to the west/north), so if the wind is from the south or east (which is most of the time, most of the year) then dirty air is being blown into a wall of mountains and when topped with inversion layers, has nowhere to go.

darrenr

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 01:22:02 pm »

I couldn't see your attachment, and would love to see some photos.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I haven't included the photo originally attached, but from some snaps from my walking between home and work, I've been able to string together the following page:

[a href=\"http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/beijing/sample/]Beijing 2006 - Samples[/url]

darrenr

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2006, 12:48:59 pm »

If in the New York Times, a while ago they ran a story on how hutongs and historic areas of Beijing that are being demolished near the centre of the city.

I went in search of what they were talking about and found it in spades...

Demolition in Beijing (http://coombs.anu.edu.au/~avalon/beijing/bejing7/)

Maybe next year will be the reconstruction year...

Pages: [1]   Go Up