Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Epson 9900  (Read 3066 times)

ThirstyDursty

Used Epson 9900
« on: June 14, 2016, 08:09:38 am »

I'm think of buying a used Epson 9900

It has been advertised for less then half Australian RRP.

They want $4500 claim it was $10k new.

It has been in storage for 18months (still is) so no test sheets etc.

Is a 24 hour drive to pick-up

1) is it worth $4500? No idea of working order etc
2) what questions would you ask to verify
3) if everything is good...but left for 18months what am I likely going to need to do? To unclog it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Used Epson 9900
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 08:49:05 am »

If you want to save yourself a boatload of potential headaches my thoughts would be to forget about it. If you need a new or replacement wide format professional printer you would be much better off considering the latest models from Epson or Canon that come with the most recent technologies and warranties and a good ink supply included in the price. This kind of machinery doesn't like sitting around unused, and unless you really know the sellers, or the usage history or the previous transportation and storage conditions it is risky.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

shotupdave

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 08:50:13 am »

i would not touch this, unless they agree if the heads are clogged that you be able to return it for a full refund

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:07 am »

i would not touch this, unless they agree if the heads are clogged that you be able to return it for a full refund

i wouldn't touch that with a ten foot pole. Even if the heads are not clogged they soon can be, such machine is a ticking time bomb. Get a new Canon iPF PRO-4000 instead, it will be much, much cheaper solution in the long run.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

ThirstyDursty

Used Epson 9900
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 09:37:42 am »

Would be a new printer for me. But obviously used. I've bought a P800 about 1 year ago, and larger sizes are in demand. P800 has worked well and paid for itself a few times. Currently any larger prints erode my profits. I don't have $10k, but ~$4 is manageable.

LGeb

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 02:49:10 pm »

In that case see if they will pull it from storage and ensure that it gives a clean nozzle check. It still sounds over priced for the US, but I don't know your market (and currency). I wouldn't drive 24 hours for such a gamble - my guess is it's going to have issues.

Zeon

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 03:46:55 pm »

The 9900 series is notorious for head failures (mine had to be replaced after three years for $2500 US) especially the cyan channel. That being said, it is a real workhorse printer that needs to be run every day. Be aware that the ink cartridges are a lot more expensive than your current printer and include two more colors, Orange and Green. Since the price seems quite high, I would consider one of the newer models.

BrianWJH

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 04:38:59 pm »

I'm think of buying a used Epson 9900

It has been advertised for less then half Australian RRP.

They want $4500 claim it was $10k new.

It has been in storage for 18months (still is) so no test sheets etc.

Is a 24 hour drive to pick-up

1) is it worth $4500? No idea of working order etc
2) what questions would you ask to verify
3) if everything is good...but left for 18months what am I likely going to need to do? To unclog it?

As others have said the 9900 and 7900 printers are prone to head clogs if not used on a regular basis.

The fact that this machine has been in storage for 18 months will almost certainly mean that the head will clog, even an initial clear nozzle check pattern would not mean that the head won't clog as the ink pigment in the ink lines can clump (fall out of suspension) and cause head clogging when it reaches the head, air may have also been slowly introduced into the ink lines.

The asking price is probably $3,000.00 too much for such a gamble, head repairs in Australia could easily cost you $4,500.00, don't touch it, wait and save for a new or much cheaper recently used unit.

Brian.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 05:54:16 pm »

Thank you everyone.

I'll have a look at the new models.

Looking for a 44inch printer suitable for photographic printing on fine art papers. Trying to keep costs down/get a deal ;)

And suggestions?

Roscolo

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:04 pm »

I would get (actually...I did get) one of the Canon ipf8400's while marked down and before they are gone. I talked to several knowledgeable and reputable dealers who got invitation first looks and demos from Canon with the new Canon pro-4000, and not one gave it much of a recommendation over the ipf8400 (and then only on glossy media which I almost never use)...and one even told me to stay away from the pro-4000. It's also the first model of a new series, so we can expect to see problems arise that will only be fixed with a newer model in that series. So you can pay less and get more with the ipf8400. That's all in the United States. YMMV in Australia. Good luck.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2016, 06:18:42 pm »

In the used market...what 44inch printers would you consider?

The new Epson's are ~$10k+ here (up to $17k with spectrometer and 5 years).

http://www.kayellaustralia.com.au/epson-surecolor-p9070-inch-color-printer-p-4927.html

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2016, 06:23:14 pm »

Is this the same with the w8400?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271951001778

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2016, 06:27:57 pm »

Is this the same with the w8400?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271951001778

Never mind. See it is a more technical oriented version with less colors

Benny Profane

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2016, 07:23:04 pm »

Wow, printing is expensive down under. Jeez.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2016, 08:17:34 pm »

I would get (actually...I did get) one of the Canon ipf8400's while marked down and before they are gone. I talked to several knowledgeable and reputable dealers who got invitation first looks and demos from Canon with the new Canon pro-4000, and not one gave it much of a recommendation over the ipf8400 (and then only on glossy media which I almost never use)...and one even told me to stay away from the pro-4000. It's also the first model of a new series, so we can expect to see problems arise that will only be fixed with a newer model in that series. So you can pay less and get more with the ipf8400. That's all in the United States. YMMV in Australia. Good luck.

This is factually incorrect. The Pro-2000 and Pro-4000 will be the second and third models in the new series based on the same technology as the Pro-1000 but with wider carriage etc. I don't think Canon's dealers, no matter how "respectable", should be forecasting trouble before the printers are even released into the market. This presumes that Canon would not have road-tested these printers before they release them, which given the competitive state of the market, would really surprise me. Not that unpleasant surprises can't happen. So, all that said, in any new product market there are early adopters who have confidence and later adopters who wait and see. But note what that means - being patient to see how the new technology works out, rather than investing in legacy models being phased-out. Well, OK, every one has to exercise their own judgment about such things. I would recommend that T-D wait and see what the new line is like before rushing into a purchase - especially of a second-hand printer.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2016, 08:48:46 pm »

Wow, printing is expensive down under. Jeez.
No kidding! Thus used is really my only viable option for the moment. Or continue outsourcing the large sizes, but that erodes a significant chunk of my profit.

The unit costs of production on the P800 has paid for itself in the last year...but that is a $1800 capital investment deferred over now hundreds of A3 and A2 prints...definitely saved over outsourcing those sizes.

At ~$5k for used 44" I think I'd be in similar position. Manageable with current finances, and pay back in 1year. Going for newer is just out of reach for now, so would keep outsourcing for another year or two. And then hopefully have a different business situation.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2016, 08:57:55 pm »

Well, there is "used" and "used". I think you get the gist of these responses. The proposal in front of you is very high risk; to buy used, know exactly what you are getting into - machine condition, who the previous users are, how it's been used, how much it's been used, can they demonstrate functionality, transportation arrangements, etc. etc. This is a minefield.

ThirstyDursty

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »

Well, there is "used" and "used". I think you get the gist of these responses. The proposal in front of you is very high risk; to buy used, know exactly what you are getting into - machine condition, who the previous users are, how it's been used, how much it's been used, can they demonstrate functionality, transportation arrangements, etc. etc. This is a minefield.
Thanks Mark. Agree

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 02:50:37 am »

Unless it works where it now is and can output a print, walk away. Don't go to the trouble to buy it, haul it, set it up then find out it's a dud. This printer on a level surface is a handful to move by just two people. If there's any steps involved, figure 4 people to pack it.

Test it first!
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up