Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Mobile Integration  (Read 5513 times)

aross007

Lightroom Mobile Integration
« on: June 11, 2016, 11:44:46 am »

On a recent trip, I was traveling light, and so used my iPad to backup and do quick reviews of my photos.  I discovered that I could copy the Raw images (olympus EM-1) onto the iPad using the "photo" app.  When I did that Lightroom mobile couldn't see the photos, but if I did any manipulation using photo then Lightroom mobile would see them (in the camera roll) and I could import and edit them using LR mobile.  When I got home I copied the originals from the camera cards into my regular catalogue, and started wondering if there was any way to capture the LR mobile edits from the iPad. Imagine my surprise when a folder appeared in lightroom labeled "iPad/imported photos" with some of the pictures I had edited on the iPad, complete with the edits. I don't want two copies of a picture, but when I try to move one from the iPad folder to my regular structure I get the "not moved, already exists" message.  I could delete the unedited copy and move the other one, but that would take some time and be subject to user error (and I'm good at user error.)

So I have two questions:

1. Why haven't all of the imported photos moved into Lightroom?

2. Is there any easy way to combine the duplicates?

Thanks for any ideas,
Alan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Lightroom Mobile Integration
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:55:39 pm »

You'll have to sort it out manually, probably as you are doing. Lightroom Mobile isn't yet designed to handle a workflow where you import first to the iPad. No doubt one day it will be, and maybe the iPad Pros bring that day closer.

So what should have happened was that images that you added to Lr Mobile on the iPad (eg by saving from Photos app) would be saved as JPEGs and then automatically synced to "iPad/imported photos" on your computer, or as subfolders of the folder you specify in Preferences.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 01:56:59 pm by john beardsworth »

aross007

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 01:29:31 pm »

Thanks John,

I figured the manual solution would be necessary, but hoping for something easier.  The workflow is closer than you suspect - the files in the "iPad/imported photos" folder are .ORF (olympus for raw) and have matching .xmp files.

Alan

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:09:01 pm »

Are you sure, Alan? What version of LrMobile are you using? But you may have stumbled across something.

aross007

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 07:47:05 pm »

Both lightroom and finder show .orf file extensions.  The version is 2.3.3

Alan

bassman51

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 03:53:38 pm »

Another strategy is to "develop" the .orf into a JPEG on the E-M1, then use OI.Share to import the JPEG to theiPad.  I've been recording Raw+JPEG but I tested this earlier today and it works fine and saves the JPEG space.   I find using the Photos app excruciatingly slow, so even with the extra step on the camera it will most likely take less time.  Of course, with Raw+JPEG you save the step but have to deal with the jpegs somewhere in your workflow. 

On the E-M1, you can also do some modest editing of the develop parameters: highlight/shadow, exposure, WB, etc.  You can save two custom settings for reuse.  I haven't tried this.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2016, 11:20:27 am »

It looks like you discovered something, Alan. Version 2.4 has just been released and allows you to directly import raw files into LrMobile. It's also got local adjustments. Read more

stingray

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 02:09:59 pm »

1. Lr Mobile now supports Raw.  See this post... http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2016/07/lightroom-mobile-july-updates.html#comment-209886
2. Maybe good news down the line.... positive reply to query on ability to edit metadata.

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2016, 04:53:46 pm »

I used LR Mobile's new RAW capability to edit one of my day lily pics. Not bad.

-Dave-

orc73

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2016, 12:48:44 pm »

looks like finally they understand what such and app is needed for.
How does the raw sync work? Does it copy the raw files to the creative cloud from the mobile and from there download to the desktop?
That would be terrible.
Is there a way to get the files to the desktop by usb?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2016, 02:49:34 pm »

They always understood that use, but rightly gave priority to other less-obvious workflows.

Yes, the raw file travels via the cloud to your desktop. It's the same with video recorded on the device, which is often much bigger than raw files. If you want to use usb, just grab the raw file from the camera roll.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 06:42:14 am »

I wish someone, somewhere would do an audit of the number of hours spent and words written about workarounds required for an iOS app to function compared to using the macOS equivalent. I, for one, am pretty much fed up with trying to do anything productive on iPad, whether it's albums for Facebook, LR Mobile or anything else beyond pointing and clicking.

I'm starting to see a clear path towards dumping iPad for a Surface where I can actually DO the work I need to do on a mobile platform without spending hours on workarounds.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

afterimages

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2016, 09:15:49 am »

I, for one, am very pleased with the new LR for iPad.  Load images via the SD adapter, import into LR, and away I go. Everything is waiting for me later on the iMac.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2016, 04:31:51 pm »

I, for one, am very pleased with the new LR for iPad.  Load images via the SD adapter, import into LR, and away I go. Everything is waiting for me later on the iMac.

+1 on this. It's easy peasy. It did take Adobe awhile to get inside the ballpark, though…and I still don't think they really (want to) get tablets. But IMO they'll have to.

-Dave-

Dr Tone

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2016, 02:09:36 pm »

Anyone know if Sony's uncompress RAW is supported on the iPad?  I know compressed is.
Pages: [1]   Go Up