Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The difference between Qimage Ultimate and PrinTao 8  (Read 4705 times)

FrankStark

The difference between Qimage Ultimate and PrinTao 8
« on: June 10, 2016, 01:44:40 pm »

As a novice beginning the printing journey, what is the difference between these two applications, apart from the fact that Qimage is a lot less expensive. I am using a Mac.
Thanks
F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

Peter McLennan

Re: The difference between Qimage Ultimate and PrinTao 8
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 02:22:23 pm »

Qimage has a demo available.  I'd try it and see if you like it.  The interface is non-standard and quirky, but the program does work well.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 02:42:35 pm »

As a novice beginning the printing journey, what is the difference between these two applications, apart from the fact that Qimage is a lot less expensive. I am using a Mac.

Hi Frank,

I've been using Qimage (now Ultimate) since its early days (my first license was purchased in June 2001). It was already good then, and it has gotten better on a regular basis with frequent upgrades with lots of useful new features and quality enhancements. The developer, Mike Chaney, is very accessible in case a valid issue is reported, or for adding user suggestions if they make sense to Mike (he sometimes needs a bit of convincing, but he is a reasonable guy). Qimage is a Windows application, but apparently runs fine on a Mac under Parallels/Virtual PC or similar.

PrinTao is from a much more recent date, and it looks like they had a good look at Qimage. However, they took a different User Interface approach by setting lots of things automatically based on a high level choice of e.g. paper and printer brand, whereas Qimage gives full control over everything one can adjust.

So the difference in operation, by mostly using presets or by allowing total control, is ease of use versus power usage.

Quality wise, Qimage uses a number of unique inventions like superior interpolation algorithms, and halofree (output) sharpening that automatically adapts to output size, e.g. in case one prints multiple dimensions on the same sheet. Under the hood it uses a lot of (advanced) techniques to improve print quality.

I do not know how many of those quality improvements PrintTao has copied, if any, because they are not user selectable. PrinTao's benefit is that it's easier for Mac OS X users, but the drawback is that one has to wait for new printers to get supported, whereas Qimage supports any printer. That is also reflected in the upgrade pricing, so not only is Qimage less expensive to start with, it ís also cheaper to upgrade (one can even postpone license renewals, until one wishes to restart with the fully up to date version of that moment, for the normal upgrade fee).

Qimage also uses an image library with search functions, and it also has a decent Raw converter, so one can print directly from Raw if needed. Qimage also has hot folders to which images can be uploaded for (batch) printing at a different location, and it has printhead unclog function that can address a single color, thus saving ink. Just to name a few.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 03:51:03 pm »

Bart has said it - but just to crystallize the distinction, these applications serve different purposes. PrinTao was built from scratch with a guiding philosophy of making printing as simple as possible, while providing high quality results, which it does - you can read my review of it on this website. QImage was designed to provide for extensive user management. I believe LaserSoft Imaging also allows a demo of PrinTao - you can check the website. I would suggest that you demo both applications and see which you think gives you the preferred quality and user experience.

I should add that while Bart points to using QImage with Windows 7 under a virtual machine, to do so you would need to buy a license for each of those applications, so if that is all you will use them for, the final cost difference between the two options may not be that significant, if any.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

FrankStark

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 09:48:25 pm »

These are helpful replies. Thanks.
 Getting Windows based applications to work on a Mac without Bootcamp or something similar is a challenge I have not pursued to this point. I wonder if Qimage works under with WINE. Something to research.
In the meantime, I can download Qimage on my Windows 7 system (A different computer I use for text based applications) to see if I like it.
F.
"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others."  David duChemin

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 05:10:27 am »

In the meantime, I can download Qimage on my Windows 7 system (A different computer I use for text based applications) to see if I like it.

Hi Frank,

There are people who normally use a Mac OS system for their photoediting, but who have set up a dedicated Windows PC for handling the output process with Qimage, because it is so good.

Don't know about using it with WINE, but I suppose it should not be a problem.

Due to the specific nature of Output management and the plethora of possible settings (for almost any type of printer) and various workflows (from contact sheets to multi-page posters), the Qimage user interface is a bit different and some people find it confusing (but it's really efficient, allowing to do things with a minimum of keystrokes or mouse clicks). Once you have found the preferred settings, they are remembered and can be recalled for future use. So it's just a bit of a learning curve, but not impossible. There is lots of help available, with tooltips and videos that cover the different options.

So to make the best time of the trial period, I suggest you view a couple of the task oriented videos on the Video Learning Center and specific Learn by Example step by step instructions on their web pages.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 07:03:09 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 06:37:33 am »

I agree with Bart and believe its worth the effort to give Qimage a try, been my go to printer software since 2002 and still use it even though I have Adobe CC at my disposal. I use Parallels on my iMac and Macbook Pro to run Windows.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

howardm

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 10:39:48 am »

Ditto, I use 'Virtualbox' w/ Win7 running inside it on my Mac.

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 11:32:12 am »

FWIW, when I changed from PC to Mac a few years back I ended up purchasing Parallels so I could continue to use Qimage. For me it was definitely worth the additional costs, of course others my feel differently. I also ended up using the Windows side of the Mac to run an RC flight sim that was not compatible with OS X.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2016, 12:07:08 am »

If you are looking at those two then you should look at Mirage Print.
I have used it for 4 years now with few problems on a 3880.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up