Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What with Kevin & Jeff's small print video...  (Read 1657 times)

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
What with Kevin & Jeff's small print video...
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:21:23 pm »

...........and the memories aspect of small prints, it struck a chord in that I print very few such hand around/family memories type albums.

However the PM400 is quite expensive for a single 4 colour cart and with somewhat mixed reviews.  Also looks like it is discontinued as no longer on the Epson UK site and only available through third party type sellers???

There is an apparent alternative in the model Expression Photo XP-55 which uses the 6 colour Claria Photo HD set of inks.  It's reviews seem to be the two extremes "love it" or "loath it"

But the key question is, compared to the PM400 is it a worthy contender for the 'small print' big memories that Kevin & Jeff cover in the video?

Your thoughts and insights would be welcome, especially if you use or know of folk using this printer  :)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: What with Kevin & Jeff's small print video...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 07:26:54 am »

Had one of the older Picture Mates years ago. Nice units they are but just too expensive at almost 25 cents per 4x6.
 I would just go with the Epson 1430/1500. (Gives you the larger sizes if needed like 8x10,81/2x11.12x18, 11x17 and 13x19.)
The Claria dye ink on hi gloss papers is just stunning.
You can also add a CISS system or use refillable carts.
I use Jon Cones inks and realize a 75% savings over the OEM inks with no loss in quality.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:59:32 am by Dan Berg »

LGeb

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 08:21:39 am »

You can print on small paper with larger printers. The Canon Pro100 is always having a heavy rebate bringing the cost down to the $50 to $100 range in the US. It can be loaded with a stack of 4x6 paper. Being a dye based printer it has almost no gloss differential and no bronzing, so it makes very nice small prints for hand held viewing. Longevity is also reported to be very good.

cortlander

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 10:40:44 am »

The video did inspire me to load a stack of 4x6 or 8.5x11 into an Epson P800. My wife loves to take snaps with her iPhone. She downloaded an Epson iPrint (another one is Epson Creative Print) and it was a lot of fun to be able to make prints from anywhere in the house directly from the iPhone.
cortlander

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2016, 11:11:04 am »

Thanks for the replies & insights.

Frankly my space is very limited so though an A4 printer the XP-55 total size is quite appealing when I can organise the room.  Also being a 6 colour printer with separate tanks does IMO target photo printing better than a 4 colour set printer.  Lastly the price point making it quite budget worthy?

It is not my intention to print large quantities, or the best of Giclee prints.....for that I will and have used pro labs.  But whatever I print I do want to be happy with it/them and with the 6x4 size they could lend themselves to hand crafted notelets sets for sales purposes?

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016, 10:17:29 am »

On another forum someone mentioned the Epson XP760 with its added feature set but still using the 6 ink set.

Then I wondered what Canon offering 'matched' that sort of configuration and found this:-

The Canon Pixma MG7750 would I surmise be the other make equivalent, bearing in mind the different folks experiences???

Inks wise as I read it the Epson has the additional Light Cyan and Light Magenta whereas the Canon has a black tank just for text documents and no "light" inks but does have a grey ink that it claims improves the quality when printing B&W. So which is best.....light inks with standard (Cyan ~ std & light, Magenta std & light, Yellow and Black) or grey with the standard CYM & Black(s)???

When I have the room and working to a budget which would be the better bet???

brianrybolt

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2016, 12:53:12 pm »

The Pixma 7750 is an 'all-in-one' machine so you're paying for all that extra facilities that are not about printing.  My feeling is that the Epson XP-55 is the way forward. 

Good luck
Pages: [1]   Go Up