Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Off to the Palouse: Route Tracking  (Read 1681 times)

dreed

Off to the Palouse: Route Tracking
« on: June 09, 2016, 05:05:55 pm »

I don't know which forum to put this in so it's going in my "default bucket" (apologies if it should be elsewhere.)

Regarding the commentary about "Route Tracker", I feel like I should chip in my $0.02 here...

The app that I've been using for the last 3-4 years is called "ViewRanger". The reason that I use it is because it doesn't require me to use a website to get my GPX files off my iPhone. How do I get them? I enable the "Web Access" feature in the app and download them from my phone to my computer directly. No app website required. This is especially useful when I'm without a WiFi network to connect both devices to as I can connect the two devices together on a private WiFi network and download as required. I can also do this when on hotel (or airport) networks and dont want my iPhone to be accessed by strangers. When I've downloaded the GPX file(s), I disable the web access to the app. Plus there is no registration required to do any of that. So if you're paranoid about your privacy or the app creator seeing everywhere that you've been because you have to upload the tracks in order to download them (or get them emailed), there is an alternative. The app can do a whole lot of other things but all that I wanted was (a) record where I go (b) give me my tracks without registration/needing a 3rd party website.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Off to the Palouse: Route Tracking
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2016, 10:47:18 am »

For me I dislike having my phone wasting power, I save it for emergencies while in the field. For geotagging I use a dedicated tracker, it is very small, battery life is around 2 days, takes cell phone batteries, can be charged in a car, and can hold around 30-40 days worth of tracking and I can download and geotag at my leisure. Start up times are quick, it takes longer if you are restarting after a very large distance move, but that is just satellite acquisition. It is the Qstarz BT-Q1000XT small. That works for me. Just a different take.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 07:55:26 am »

For me I dislike having my phone wasting power, I save it for emergencies while in the field. For geotagging I use a dedicated tracker, it is very small, battery life is around 2 days, takes cell phone batteries, can be charged in a car, and can hold around 30-40 days worth of tracking and I can download and geotag at my leisure. Start up times are quick, it takes longer if you are restarting after a very large distance move, but that is just satellite acquisition. It is the Qstarz BT-Q1000XT small. That works for me. Just a different take.

Alan
Thanks for that recommendation Alan.  As I don't have a phone if I decide I want tracking a stand alone device is my only option.

Do any others have a non-phone device they can recommend?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 08:12:40 am by mcbroomf »

bobtowery

• Antarctica 2016
    • http://bobtowery.typepad.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2016, 10:20:23 am »

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035VESMC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works great. When you import the file into LR and switch to map mode it almost seems magical.
Bob
 ht
Pages: [1]   Go Up