Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Changing from LR CC back to LR 5.7  (Read 4151 times)

RayGroome

Changing from LR CC back to LR 5.7
« on: June 08, 2016, 01:16:59 pm »

Next month I shall have to decide whether to renew my subscription to LR CC or return to the stand alone version (5.7) I was using 12 months ago. If I tried returning to 5.7 how would I gain access to the Catalogue that I have created during the past 12 months using LR CC.? (I don't think the 2 will be compatible.)

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Changing from LR CC back to LR 5.7
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 01:56:07 pm »

You wouldn't be able to. To use the CC catalogue, you would need to buy Lightroom 6.

When your subscription ends, you will be able to continue using your CC catalogue. You just won't be able to go into Develop or Map. That may be enough for you.

But if you go back to 5.7, probably the best route is to select all your photos in Lr CC and do Cmd S / Ctrl S to save your work back to the images. Then import everything into 5.7. You'll lose stuff that isn't saved to metadata (stacks, flags, collections, history steps).

stingray

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:23:29 pm »

Be careful of virtual images. 

They are not saved back to xml or metadata. This is the main reason I do not use Virtual images any more and short sighted by Adobe, in my view.

You can search in Lr to find all Virtual images.

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 02:25:05 pm »

You should also be able to buy an upgrade to LR 6 standalone which migth avoid the catalogue issues, although you may not be able to utilise any of the features CC added above 6 (primarily the haze reduction option)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 02:26:02 pm »

Next month I shall have to decide whether to renew my subscription to LR CC or return to the stand alone version (5.7) I was using 12 months ago. If I tried returning to 5.7 how would I gain access to the Catalogue that I have created during the past 12 months using LR CC.? (I don't think the 2 will be compatible.)

John wrote a totally correct. I would just add: Buy Lightroom 6 upgrade. In my opinion the only sensible solution if you want to discontinue the CC version. You don't give a reason to why you might want to discontinue the CC version.

AFairley

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 02:48:42 pm »

John wrote a totally correct. I would just add: Buy Lightroom 6 upgrade. In my opinion the only sensible solution if you want to discontinue the CC version. You don't give a reason to why you might want to discontinue the CC version.

Even aside from the catalog compatibility issue, an upgrade from 5.7 to 6.x is worth the $ in my opinion.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 03:05:59 pm »

I would just add: Buy Lightroom 6 upgrade.

Or wait for the Lightroom 7 upgrade ..., isn't that due within 4-10 months or so? LR6 was released April 21st, 2015, so add 18 to 24 months and we'll know if they abandon the non-subscribers (those who pay for a perpetual license upfront), or not.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rhossydd

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 03:19:51 pm »

Or wait for the Lightroom 7 upgrade ..., isn't that due within 4-10 months or so? LR6 was released April 21st, 2015, so add 18 to 24 months and we'll know if they abandon the non-subscribers (those who pay for a perpetual license upfront), or not.
The worry then might be that if they do drop the perpetual licence, they'll probably drop the option to buy an upgrade from 5 to 6 at the same time. That wouldn't help the OP at all.

ButchM

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 03:46:26 pm »

The worry then might be that if they do drop the perpetual licence, they'll probably drop the option to buy an upgrade from 5 to 6 at the same time. That wouldn't help the OP at all.

Agreed ... waiting for the next version cycle to land could be problematic as in recent years, Adobe management has a propensity to shoot first, aim later when it comes to hard and fast policy changes.

Opting for the $79 USD upgrade from v5.x to v6.x would be affordable and very worthwhile in many respects.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 04:18:24 pm »

Agreed ... waiting for the next version cycle to land could be problematic as in recent years, Adobe management has a propensity to shoot first, aim later when it comes to hard and fast policy changes.

Opting for the $79 USD upgrade from v5.x to v6.x would be affordable and very worthwhile in many respects.

It is my opinion that when Adobe makes the decision to discontinue the Lightroom perpetual version they will make a statement when the last update / upgrade is issued. This is what happened with Photoshop CS6 and ACR Plugin for CS6.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

ButchM

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:54:08 pm »

It is my opinion that when Adobe makes the decision to discontinue the Lightroom perpetual version they will make a statement when the last update / upgrade is issued. This is what happened with Photoshop CS6 and ACR Plugin for CS6.

Oh ... no doubt they will "make a statement" ... but ... the parameters of a perpetual upgrade path could be anything from non-existent to difficult.

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 11:44:59 pm »

I use 5.7 and never used CC nor want to.  What advantages are there to upgrade to LR6?

Rhossydd

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 01:07:13 am »

Probably the most useful additions in 6 are automated HDR and Panorama merging to DNG. Both of which now work well in the latest version.
The ability to changes the boundaries in gradient and radial filters with a brush.
Plus there are more cameras and lenses supported.

Plus various additional tweaks, changes and bug fixes.

RayGroome

« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2016, 11:44:34 am »

Thank you for your comments. If Adobe increase their CC costs too much I shall want to revert to the perpetual version. (I rarely need to use a current version of PS)
 Contrary to my previous message, I did purchase the the upgrade to LR6 before going to LR CC, but I can no longer find LR6 on my computer, only LR 5.7!.... Strange!, does this mean it was over written when I went to CC?
I have tried reinstalling the upgrade to LR6, but on completion it just reopens LR CC and does not alter LR 5.7

All very confusing!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 12:04:48 pm »

I have tried reinstalling the upgrade to LR6, but on completion it just reopens LR CC and does not alter LR 5.7

Lr CC and Lr6 are the same underlying program, they just behave as CC or 6 depending on whether you are signed into your Adobe account or whether you authorised it with a serial number. See switching to serial number.

AFairley

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 12:29:16 pm »

Lr CC and Lr6 are the same underlying program, they just behave as CC or 6 depending on whether you are signed into your Adobe account or whether you authorised it with a serial number. See switching to serial number.

And all the serial numbers for Adobe products you have actually activated should be available on one of your Adobe account pages
Pages: [1]   Go Up