Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.6 now available  (Read 27396 times)

Dan Wells

Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 now available
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2016, 05:05:48 pm »

Absolutely massive improvements in Fuji (X-Pro 2) preview rendering speed. It could previously take as long as 20 minutes just to get the thumbnails up when importing a full 64 GB card of X-Pro 2 images. New version is effectively instant (much less than a minute, just like any other camera). Also has big improvements in shot-to-shot speed and syncing images with Lightroom Mobile, again with X-Pro 2 files. This may NOT actually be a faster Fuji converter - it's entirely possible that it's simply gotten smarter about handling the JPEG files for thumbnails and previews, since none of these operations absolutely require the raw file...

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2016, 05:53:02 pm »

Oh if I could be bothered I could be pissed about a lot of stuff. But why bother...

Oh and your right why would I ever hope for a support for a new back after 6 months.

Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure Phase isn't the biggest help to Adobe in that regard.

It's just the short reaction after hearing "working on it" -->new release -> oh didn't make it.

You last tip, don't think it would work as it is a newish file format.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2016, 08:30:00 pm »

Absolutely massive improvements in Fuji (X-Pro 2) preview rendering speed. It could previously take as long as 20 minutes just to get the thumbnails up when importing a full 64 GB card of X-Pro 2 images. New version is effectively instant (much less than a minute, just like any other camera). Also has big improvements in shot-to-shot speed and syncing images with Lightroom Mobile, again with X-Pro 2 files. This may NOT actually be a faster Fuji converter - it's entirely possible that it's simply gotten smarter about handling the JPEG files for thumbnails and previews, since none of these operations absolutely require the raw file...

Dan, did you see any improvement in the actual raw conversion for Fuji? 

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2016, 03:18:40 pm »

take a close look at the speed improvements moving between images in Develop. They can be astonishing. I have written some notes about it
Not noticing anything like that here, images change pretty much as fast as before.
In fact, after some use over the last week, I'm seeing the develop sliders being slightly more sluggish in response.

W7 32gb ram 3.9ghz i7 separate SSDs for program, catalogue and files, GTX470 3840x1440 desktop

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2016, 06:05:13 pm »

Not noticing anything like that here, images change pretty much as fast as before.
In fact, after some use over the last week, I'm seeing the develop sliders being slightly more sluggish in response.

W7 32gb ram 3.9ghz i7 separate SSDs for program, catalogue and files, GTX470 3840x1440 desktop

Same for me, Win7 64 bit, SSD for OS and separate SSD for Catalog.  32GB ram, GTX970 4GB. 

There is a bit of a speed boost, maybe 30%, but I am still not seeing anything really hit the GPU, (per the Asus monitoring software) where as with Photoshop CC, you can see it hitting the card.   So it seems to be all processor and memory working in LR.  I will take the 30% for sure!!.

Still seeing a strange lock up, that I started getting with the last version, where with the adjustment brush, it freezes momentarily while drawing with the brush, then it tries to catch up, but then all the ensuing brush strokes are black, and the program locks up hard.  On reboot, the existing adjustment brush icons no longer show up, and you have to go back and turn that feature on.

I am not using Smart previews and on average I will have 8 or so adjustment brushes in a file, (most of my work is now done in LR) very little in CC, only topaz clarity.

Paul C 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2016, 01:57:45 am »

Oh if I could be bothered I could be pissed about a lot of stuff. But why bother...

Oh and your right why would I ever hope for a support for a new back after 6 months.

I can't even get a back after confirming the order over 6 months ago ...

Scho

• http://photos.schophoto.com/
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2016, 06:35:55 pm »

Watch out if you are printing direct from LR to a Canon ipF LF printer.  Something got broken in the printing pipeline with this latest LR update that will produce off color when printing with a color managed workflow.  I'm currently getting around this by exporting tif files to the ColorBurst Overdrive RIP to get correct color from my iPF6100.

http://canonipf.wikispaces.com/share/view/78942553

John Hollenberg

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 09:24:31 pm »

Watch out if you are printing direct from LR to a Canon ipF LF printer.

Looks like a Mac only problem.  Not seeing this on Win 7/64 on Canon ipf6300.

jtmiller

« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 09:46:27 pm »

This version isn't importing from iPhone 6. Not fun.

jim

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 10:29:57 pm »

There is also a bug on Mac when printing from both LR and the last version of Photoshop.
How to roll back a version (assuming you're on a Mac and want to print):
https://blog.conradchavez.com/2014/06/30/how-to-install-earlier-versions-of-creative-cloud-applications/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

RikkFlohr

• Adobe, Inc. - Photography Products
    • Rikk Flohr's Website
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2016, 07:45:27 pm »

Additional information regarding printing in the Mac environment in LR 2015.6 https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/unexpected-colors-when-printing-mac.html
Rikk Flohr
Quality Engineer Customer Advocate - Photography Products
Adobe

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2016, 07:48:57 pm »

Additional information regarding printing in the Mac environment in LR 2015.6 https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/unexpected-colors-when-printing-mac.html
Do you believe that's true Rikk? I think it's BS. The URL states:
The older Epson 3880 printer drivers have incorrect profiles associated with the following paper types: Ultra Premium Luster, Premium Photo Glossy, WaterColor Paper Radian White, and UltraSmooth Fine Art. When you select one of these paper profiles, the colors are incorrect and do not match the previous versions of Lightroom.To resolve this issue, download and install the latest printer driver for the Epson Stylus Pro 3880 : Mac OS: Download printer driver v9.33 or later.Note:On Epson's download page, make sure that you select the correct operating system and that you download the driver version with the latest release date.

So I took that advise. Downloaded the 3880 driver again. I did an uninstall by removing the printer from Print/Fax. This is what I'd expect 90+% of Adobe customers would do as there is no Epson uninstaller!

Then I reinstalled the driver as they recommend.

I printed my color reference image, on Exhibition Fiber. That paper isn't listed as being an issue above. Doesn't matter however as they tell us that following the suggestions with the latest driver is a fix anyway.

I printed with LRCC and LR 5. THEY DO NOT MATCH! Of course, if what they wrote above were accurate, they would match.

So I think based on my experience and those of other's thus far who've tried this, it's an Adobe smoke screen. But maybe I did something wrong. So I suggest Adobe or anyone else provide text from someone who did suffer this bug, tried what that URL suggests, and found it fixed the problem.

Do you have a printer you can test this fix on?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2016, 08:40:21 pm »

Until Adobe proves to me that it isn't BS, it is BS. The problem only arose using the latest version of LR/PS - all was working extremely well before that and nothing else had changed in either methodology or printing set-up and materials.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2016, 08:47:59 pm »

Until Adobe proves to me that it isn't BS, it is BS. The problem only arose using the latest version of LR/PS - all was working extremely well before that and nothing else had changed in either methodology or printing set-up and materials.
Did the 'fix' Rikk suggested from the URL work for you? If it didn't, seem like the BS factor goes higher.

We're told this is a driver bug. But the driver works properly for every other app but the two from Adobe just released. Are we to believe that there's this bug lurking in one, a dozen, all print drivers that manifest itself only when a new version of CC comes about but not the OS itself? Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not software engineer. But let's use some critical thinking here. Virtually everything in the Adobe URL either makes no sense or isn't very useful. We're told to uninstall the driver but there's no uninstaller from Epson who Adobe seems to be singling out here. Specifically the 3880 which you Mark are not using. They suggest we contact the print manufacturers:
Printer drivers will need to be updated to the latest Mac OS X print and color management API to work correctly with Photoshop CC 2015.5 and Lightroom CC 2015.6. Contact your printer vendor for updated drivers. Seems Adobe should be doing this... Few of us will get traction contacting the printer vendor.
The BS factor is up there IMHO (and this from a guy who's often called a so called "Adobe Fan boy")

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2016, 09:16:01 pm »

Did the 'fix' Rikk suggested from the URL work for you? If it didn't, seem like the BS factor goes higher.

We're told this is a driver bug. But the driver works properly for every other app but the two from Adobe just released. Are we to believe that there's this bug lurking in one, a dozen, all print drivers that manifest itself only when a new version of CC comes about but not the OS itself? Doesn't make sense to me but I'm not software engineer. But let's use some critical thinking here. Virtually everything in the Adobe URL either makes no sense or isn't very useful. We're told to uninstall the driver but there's no uninstaller from Epson who Adobe seems to be singling out here. Specifically the 3880 which you Mark are not using. They suggest we contact the print manufacturers:
Printer drivers will need to be updated to the latest Mac OS X print and color management API to work correctly with Photoshop CC 2015.5 and Lightroom CC 2015.6. Contact your printer vendor for updated drivers. Seems Adobe should be doing this... Few of us will get traction contacting the printer vendor.
The BS factor is up there IMHO (and this from a guy who's often called a so called "Adobe Fan boy")

No I'm not using a 3880. I'm using a P800 and an SP4900. Both have the latest drivers installed, so that factor is accounted for. Now, you and I have independently observed that the most egregious disconnect in colour rendition is the Blues (yes this is giving us the Blues alright, but not the nice soothing jazz type, I regret to say). Now, I mentioned I am doing colour printed accuracy research using a properly configured LAB version file of the GMCC 24 patch colour checker plus nine patches of extended grayscale (the same tools I've been using in my recent paper and printer reviews published on this website).  I made one of these target prints with the latest download of Photoshop CC a couple of days ago and when I measured it I saw immediately that the colours are whacked. The dE results are through the roof compared with what I usually get from my custom profiles made with professional grade X-Rite hardware and software, so I knew something was very wrong. I reviewed my whole workflow and found no flaws in it. So I was stumped. Then you initiated this thread indicating the colour management problem with the new Photoshop/LR versions. In response to that, I downloaded the previous version of Photoshop (rather then LR, as I need Absolute R.I. for these target prints) and printed it last night using the exact same profile and SAME EVERYTHING EXCEPT THE PHOTOSHOP VERSION - I used the previous version. I have now measured the Blue patch and the result is 28.26, 14.28, -51.37, which is very close to the file reference value. The same patch measured from the print made with the latest version of Photoshop measures 32.57, -1.11, -46.78, which is MANY dEs adrift from the reference values. We don't need a PhD in Colour Management or Deductive Logic to understand from this that the only difference creating incorrect values versus correct values is the difference between the two versions of Photoshop, because all other variables including the printer and the driver are identical. If the Adobe Staff cannot absorb this kind of information that you and I have been producing and stop their defensive nonsense, I'm sorry to say, but we are dealing with much more than a technical problem in that company and either their Senior Management, or in default of which, their Board needs to emerge from their delusional behaviour and deal with it.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2016, 09:47:49 pm »

No I'm not using a 3880. I'm using a P800 and an SP4900. Both have the latest drivers installed, so that factor is accounted for.
Well IF you delete and reinstall and still get the same measurements, pretty much blows a hole in the Adobe URL that states this is a fix. That you see this issue with the P800 and 4900 also provides some data points that the URL fix from Adobe isn't correct. But if you're testing color stuff, I can see why it might not be a good idea to now delete one or both drivers as suggested. If you can, and it doesn't work, we've found three different printers and at least two users who can't get the Adobe fix to work. That's telling and points to the BS factor we suspect is coming from Adobe.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2016, 09:54:00 pm »

Andrew, I'm not going to waste my time deleting and re-installing Epson printer drivers yet again. Adobe says we need to use the latest ones, I am doing that already - on two Epson printers that are not 3880s. As I've conclusively demonstrated that I get almost correct colour with the previous version of Photoshop and very incorrect color with the latest version of Photoshop ALL ELSE EQUAL, I think this is conclusive evidence that the problem is with the most recent versions of the Adobe applications and nothing whatsoever to do with Epson. They should stop wasting Epson's time and our time with this and just get on to acknowledging they need to fix their software. My mind is open, but so far their story is thoroughly unconvincing.

Mac Mahon

« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2016, 12:37:35 am »

I just printed a test image to my Epson P800 (Mac OS10.11.5 with the latest Epson driver) using

LR 2016.6
LR2015.5.1
Affinity Pro 1.4.2 and
Roy Harrington’s QTR PtintTool

all through the same custom ICC profile onto Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl paper.

All prints are identical except that from LR 2015.6 where there is banding on smooth colour gradients and a muted appearance in highly saturated areas. 

The fact that 3 apps do the same thing (rightly AFAIK), and one doesn't, pretty much rules out the OS and the driver.  Not a thoroghly scientific test but supports what Mark and Andrew are saying.  They broke something in LR2015.6 print module.

Tim

howardm

« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2016, 10:33:35 am »

For me, seems like I can't even access the previous version of LR via the Adobe CC app.  It simply doesn't show up  in the usual 'Previous Version' (ie. Lightroom is *missing* from the list).  I can however select PS CC 2015.  Am I simply being 'lucky' :/ here ?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2016, 10:38:43 am »

Howard, as of last night there is some updated info in the Adobe Forum indicating how to get the most recent previous version of LR. But it wipes your current version for better or worse. The Photoshop download does not wipe the current version. I downloaded PS CC 2015 also and it is working fine.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up