Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom CC 2015.6 now available  (Read 27543 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Lightroom CC 2015.6 now available
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 11:44:53 am »

The larger point to be made vis a vis the dichotomy between CC and Perpetual license Lr is that it probably costs more and has more logistical issues to maintain Lr updates without the features of CC.  That is to say, they are either keeping two different code bases which they are updating or the functionality updates (Dehaze, Guided Upright, etc) are locked/unlocked via the validation mechanism.  In the first case, there are real costs involved and in the second case, they are just being pricks.  In both cases, the point is to drive people to the subscription model. 

Full Disclosure...I have the CC Photography Plan at a current rate of $7.99/month.

I'm not going to engage in the rhetoric of calling other people "pricks". People more often than not have reasons for doing what they are doing and it's their privilege as long as the options are available. I was just trying to clarify the options, not pass judgment on people exercising the one or the other. From my own experience however, I would like to emphasize that once one gets accustomed to having many of the new features that get introduced from time to time in the CC versions, I would be loathe to do without them in the future. So fundamentally, that is how Adobe is managing to steer us all into the subscription model. Some may call it arm-twisting, and fair enough maybe it is, but I think in the final analysis a good kind of arm-twisting because we get the new features as soon as they are ready for prime-time and the annual cost of this is no more - indeed perhaps less - than we used to pay for the periodic major release upgrades on the old 18-month cycle. Anyhow, this is an old discussion - the new aspect is that we've now had the benefit of time to see how it is playing out, and for my money, this is good value. We're getting very useful application improvements at reasonable cost.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 11:45:48 am »

That is to say, they are either keeping two different code bases which they are updating or the functionality updates (Dehaze, Guided Upright, etc) are locked/unlocked via the validation mechanism.  In the first case, there are real costs involved and in the second case, they are just being pricks.

The new features are just disabled for perpetual license holders, same code base, just switched off to not show the controls. Things like Dehaze simply work when one manually edits a preset and chooses that.

In both cases, the point is to drive people to the subscription model.

Yes, pretty obvious.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 11:47:30 am »

[...] but for clarity, you may correct me if I am mistaken, but perhaps it may be useful to state the conditions as follows:

<<people with a perpetual license may update dot releases within their current application version at no charge, but they will not have access to some new features available in the subscription versions. People who wish to change their licensing mode (let's not call it upgrade) from perpetual license to monthly subscription may do so at any time by signing up and agreeing to pay the going monthly fee for the package. Having done so, they keep their perpetual licensed version anyhow, but can use and benefit from the new features in the subscription versions for as long as they remain subscribed.>>

I agree with Mark, and that's a good summary as far as I can see.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

jrsforums

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »

Full Disclosure...I have the CC Photography Plan at a current rate of $7.99/month.

$7.99, not $9.99?
John

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 06:00:04 pm »

$7.99, not $9.99?
It was available at a discount last Oct/Nov, good for 1 year then back to $9.99.  Not sure if that's what dws got

dwswager

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 08:36:46 pm »

It was available at a discount last Oct/Nov, good for 1 year then back to $9.99.  Not sure if that's what dws got

I Googled for deals.  A lot of Ps/Lr guru sites offer deals from Adobe from time to time.

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2016, 01:22:27 pm »

The larger point to be made vis a vis the dichotomy between CC and Perpetual license Lr is that it probably costs more and has more logistical issues to maintain Lr updates without the features of CC.  That is to say, they are either keeping two different code bases which they are updating or the functionality updates (Dehaze, Guided Upright, etc) are locked/unlocked via the validation mechanism.  In the first case, there are real costs involved and in the second case, they are just being pricks.  In both cases, the point is to drive people to the subscription model. 

I don't think they have two different codes, only two different UI's. That explains why perpetual license users can still download and use dehaze presets. The only thing they don't have is the slider.

Btw, next to an update there is also a small upgrade for perpetual license users in this release. You now have X-axis and Y-axis offset available, which is new functionality vs. 6.5
That can come in handy when using perspective or other corrections to access pixels that are falling outside the original frame, In the past you could only recover those by reducing the scale, but this is much better.
Thanks Adobe  :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2016, 01:45:54 pm by pegelli »
pieter, aka pegelli

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2016, 05:01:19 pm »

And it looks like they forgot the Phase One IQ 3100 again.... I thinks it's time to delete my CC subscription...

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2016, 07:12:44 pm »

And it looks like they forgot the Phase One IQ 3100 again.... I thinks it's time to delete my CC subscription...

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu

Perhaps it would be preferable to use Capture One for the Phase One work? Their profiles are well-customized to all their equipment.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2016, 07:16:29 pm »

Perhaps it would be preferable to use Capture One for the Phase One work? Their profiles are well-customized to all their equipment.
Absolutely.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Christopher

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2016, 01:31:00 am »

For raw conversion yes, but I have to say it is frustrating that I can't use Lightroom anymore for my workflow. I have been using it since version one for, sorting, rating, keywording and so on. It just doesn't make sense to use two programs for that stuff especially if until now all files are in Lightroom incl. all phase 45/65/180/350 files...

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:16 am »

For raw conversion yes, but I have to say it is frustrating that I can't use Lightroom anymore for my workflow. I have been using it since version one for, sorting, rating, keywording and so on. It just doesn't make sense to use two programs for that stuff especially if until now all files are in Lightroom incl. all phase 45/65/180/350 files...

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu

Well, actually you can, but it does still mean using two apps instead of one. Once you do the raw conversion and basic colour balance in C1, you can save the file out as a TIFF, then import it to your LR catalog and implement all the remainder of your file management and workflow as usual. For sure you are no longer working a raw file, but LR performs very well on TIFFs and at least you don't accumulate massive storage requirements with layers.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2016, 10:00:17 am »

Christopher Hauser

You were told only a couple of weeks ago that "the team is working with the camera vendor but we [Adobe] do not have any eta we can share at this time. "

Christopher

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2016, 10:02:19 am »

And ? Still gives me right to be pissed about it. And as we all know "no eta" could mean never as well... As this was a bigger update the hope was there they managed it...

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2016, 10:14:22 am »

And ? Still gives me right to be pissed about it. And as we all know "no eta" could mean never as well... As this was a bigger update the hope was there they managed it...

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu

Well, actually it doesn't. LR supports hundreds of cameras. It takes time to make or adapt, test and publish these profiles. You can't expect them to have every last camera catalogued before they release an update that all others can benefit from, especially for such high-end models that are owned by a tiny percentage of their user base (considering that most Phase One camera owners are likely using C1 anyhow and they know it). If Rikk says they are working on it, I would take his word for it.

Christopher

« Reply #35 on: June 13, 2016, 10:17:18 am »

Yes it takes time just was hoping it wouldn't take more than 6 months....  But your right lets keep waiting and try other options for managing a huge database of images, perhaps at one point LR won't be needed anymore at all.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2016, 10:18:30 am »

Cancel your subscription if you wish, but you've been told they're working on it. In timing terms, you were just unlucky. Not "pissed" that you'd bought a new camera before checking it was supported or that P1 hadn't offered a DNG option? 

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2016, 10:20:18 am »

I know that at least one member of this forum used Exiftool to modify the model number of another P1 format before it was supported. I wouldn't want to do that myself, but if it's a temporary fix....

MBehrens

« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2016, 04:22:26 pm »

CC 2015.6 crashed on me twice over the weekend while I was on the road. Seemed to have been around the raw caching in develop module. Have not isolated exactly what triggers it. My laptop isn't nearly as powerful as my desktop so we'll see how things go when I get home tonight.

Anyone else experiencing crashing?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2016, 04:28:38 pm »

No, I'm using it on a 2010 MacPro and it's fine. (But I have 24GB RAM and 24 virtual cores - maybe that helps.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up