Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 Giants  (Read 956 times)

chuckn

3 Giants
« on: June 06, 2016, 02:39:29 pm »

Redwood National Park. Comments???

Chuck

francois

Re: 3 Giants
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:51:45 am »

I'd like to see it in B&W…
Francois

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 01:37:08 pm »

I think it's a hugely seductive subject but very hard to pull off well. For me it's pretty good but not compelling and I do agree that a good B&W conversion might work better.

I have a local wood - the trees are nothing so grand - and I try to get good shots but it never seems to match what I see before me.

chuckn

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 02:23:29 pm »

I think it's a hugely seductive subject but very hard to pull off well. For me it's pretty good but not compelling and I do agree that a good B&W conversion might work better.

I have a local wood - the trees are nothing so grand - and I try to get good shots but it never seems to match what I see before me.
I'd like to see it in B&W…

Thanks for the input. I agree, finding good forest compositions is very hard, especially for me. Here's the black and white version. I did both but only posted the color.

Chuck

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 02:26:39 pm »

Probably needs to be seen as a big print not on some mean little screen :) I don't think a small image can convey the force of these trees. Nice conversion but looks a little gloomy on my monitor which I suspect needs recalibration so that may be unfair.

chuckn

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 02:47:34 pm »

Probably needs to be seen as a big print not on some mean little screen :) I don't think a small image can convey the force of these trees. Nice conversion but looks a little gloomy on my monitor which I suspect needs recalibration so that may be unfair.

Yes, If I do print it I'd make it at least 16x24.

Chuck

BradSmith

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 04:33:42 pm »

I, personally, would process it with more exposure.  Seems too dark to me.

stamper

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 03:44:18 am »

The colour version is the winner because there is more separation in the tones. I like the brooding look because it gives you a feeling of being alone and lost. Well seen.

francois

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 09:09:18 am »

Well, the B&W version is no better but this image has potential. I had hoped that the B&W would show better separation between the trees and the background.
I have to agree that it's not easy to find a great image but with a bit more PP, this could end up with a excellent photo - composition is good!
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up