Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Serenade  (Read 6247 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Serenade
« on: June 06, 2016, 09:55:05 am »

Rob won't like this, but the problem mostly is pigeon poop.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Otto Phocus

Re: Serenade
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 11:13:53 am »

I think a different angle showing the woman's face would work out well
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

RSL

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:19:47 am »

Have at it, Otto.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 11:21:25 am »

OMG

Thank goodness it's not my daughter nor either granddaughter.

This is the sort of stuff one once associated with the bottom rungs of the third world, and I mean the bottom: dignity used to be something that the poor had, and begging was a last resort, or due to parental disf¡gurings and distortions made to force a life of professional begging.

During my trip to Palma last week I discovered a new technique: I walked past this guy on the pavement, on his knees and doing what I'd imagined to be his prayerful duty before or after having a drink. Mistake: as I walked later on the other side of the road, there was his clone, same position, and also with a plastic cup held out in his hands. He was equipped with pads for elbows and knees. An entire kit, then. It may be a new technique, but it certainly didn't work very well, because I imagined he was, as I indicated, praying.

I have sympathy for those with no alternatives, but not for those who do it as fashion statement.

Reminds me of the 70s jokes about the western hippies 'doing' India on an Amex card.

Rob

RSL

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:09:09 pm »

I've probably told this story before, but since I'm an old guy I get to tell it again.

In Colorado Springs I used to walk down the sidewalk in the morning looking for pictures and there was always the same guy sitting against a building, panhandling. One morning I stopped and asked him: "Why the hell don't you get a job?" He came back: "This IS a job." I'd guess he was making out better than most of the people working in the store behind him. People always are suckers for this kind of crap.

But then there was the guy on the street one morning who said, as I walked by: "I'm not trying to kid anybody. I just want a drink." I gave him a couple bucks.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 12:54:35 pm »

Bernie Jugend relaxing, before clamoring for everything free?

Otto Phocus

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 01:56:03 pm »

Have at it, Otto.

It is not my picture.  ;D
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light.

RSL

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 01:58:40 pm »

Well, get out there with your camera and find a similar situation. Maybe you can get the girl's face and maybe not. In this instance there were about 20 people milling around on the sidewalk. In a situation like that you shoot fast or not at all.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 08:38:05 pm »

I happen to think that there is just enough of the girl's face to tell the story.
Good shooting, Russ.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Otto Phocus

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 06:37:03 am »

Well, get out there with your camera and find a similar situation. Maybe you can get the girl's face and maybe not. In this instance there were about 20 people milling around on the sidewalk. In a situation like that you shoot fast or not at all.

If you don't like people commenting on your photograph, why post it in a critique thread?

It is your picture, do with it what you want. It is not that big of a deal.

stamper

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 07:23:15 am »

If you don't like people commenting on your photograph, why post it in a critique thread?

Ouch.

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2016, 08:33:42 am »

Calm, gentleman, please!

Its just a matter of a comment/critique(?) that doesn't really fit the genre: you do what you can with what's fleetingly there or nothing. My own heart is filled with good intentions that never made it to reality. That's one of the reasons that I refrain from much comment on other folks' images: I wasn't there; they have different ideas I might not grasp; they only really want to hear good news, which is simply another manifestation of human nature. Oh - I also lack the killer instinct.

;-)

Rob C

RSL

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2016, 09:00:53 am »

Hi Otto, I gather you're a landscape photographer. In that genre you can go back and re-shoot the stuff you've screwed up, so you were suggesting I re-shoot the picture. In street, once the shot's made, it's made. You can't go back and re-shoot it. So your comment was a bit on the absurd side. But I have to attribute that to the fact you don't do street and therefore don't understand what's involved. That's okay, but it's best to steer away from stuff you don't understand.

Otto Phocus

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2016, 09:40:56 am »

I was not suggesting anything.  It was your photograph, you shoot it the way you want to.  I was just making an observation of an alternative way to take this photograph. In no way was I inferring that what you did was wrong/bad.  I was just sharing a different opinion. I was not even critical of your work. My apologies if it upset you. That was not my intent.

You have my sincere assurance that it won't happen again.

Best of luck with your photography.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:02 am »

Hi Otto, I gather you're a landscape photographer. In that genre you can go back and re-shoot the stuff you've screwed up,

You have suggested this before and in my opinion it's quite wrong. Landscapes change minute by minute and I understand dedicated landscape shooters will wait for hours or indeed days for the right moment. Is it BobDavid here with his lovely blurred seascapes who apparently will be on the beach waiting for 3 hours to get his one shot.

Then again I don't do landscapes much so maybe I'm wrong, what do I know?

Mike

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 09:59:40 am »

A kind suggestion to Otto to choose his words carefully next time: ;)

BobDavid

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 10:01:52 am »

I like the youthful innocence and charm the story tells. I think a bit of cropping might help.

RSL

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2016, 11:52:42 am »

Strangely enough, Bob, I agree. Unfortunately I can't see any way a crop would improve it. The problem is the composition. I was steering around people on the sidewalk. I wanted some context to place the couple. I did manage to get an opening in the wall, but it wasn't enough. If I keep the same aspect ratio and reduce the frame I lose the hat, which is a critical part of the picture. If I simply crop off the top to eliminate the doorway the composition gets even worse than it is now. It's not my best work, but I ran across it in my Lightroom archives and it sort of echoed Seamus's "Siesta."

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2016, 12:30:05 pm »

A kind suggestion to Otto to choose his words carefully next time: ;)

A priceless lesson for the new, politically correct world!

;-)

Rob

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2016, 01:17:59 pm »

Some people, the competitive kind in particular, tend to see photography as a (contact) sport. Yes, there is always some level of difficulty involved in scoring (or not), but in photography it doesn't really count. Had it been figure skating, you might have scored some extra points, Russ, for technical difficulty. Photography is more like basketball: only those balls that get through the hoop count. Not near misses, nor elaborate ballet-like moves involved in throwing.

What makes this one a "close, but no cigar" shot is the awkward way the guitar cuts the girl's lips. A fraction of an inch higher or lower, and it would be a whole different matter.

So, in the mother-approved language: "It doesn't speak to me." ;)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up