Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing panos on roll paper  (Read 4719 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Printing panos on roll paper
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2016, 02:10:36 am »

printing programs generally require the files to be rendered pixel based formats (PSD, TIFF, etc) that can be large files. If one can print very well without creating that conversion and storage overlay, it may be advantageous.

I think that may depend on your workflow. if you use Photoshop in your workflow then you are probably going to produce a TIFF anyway. I am not suggesting that you produce another TIFF for printing. The 16 bit ProPhoto Full size TIFF that comes out of Photoshop is the end product for me. That is then drag and dropped to Mirage and used to produce any size print. So I don't see there being any additional storage space. Also next time I print that image, regardless of size, it comes from exactly the same file, so I can be assured of consistency.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printing panos on roll paper
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2016, 09:40:49 am »

I think that may depend on your workflow. if you use Photoshop in your workflow then you are probably going to produce a TIFF anyway. I am not suggesting that you produce another TIFF for printing. The 16 bit ProPhoto Full size TIFF that comes out of Photoshop is the end product for me. That is then drag and dropped to Mirage and used to produce any size print. So I don't see there being any additional storage space. Also next time I print that image, regardless of size, it comes from exactly the same file, so I can be assured of consistency.

Fair enough Bob, but if one's workflow is handled entirely in the raw conversion software such as LR, which is 98% of the time for me (and numerous other photographers), and I print from LR, there is no TIFF file - only the raw file with all the history preserved in the catalog and on the interface. I push LR to the absolute limit before I consider going into PS and creating a permanently rendered file. For a 24MP camera, the storage difference is about 24MP versus a minimum of 70MP PER FILE, and double that + upward if you add layers. But storage isn't the primary consideration. I look for optimum image quality first and foremost and find that 98% of the time I can reach it the easy way, comparatively speaking. Over the years applications such as LR and C1 have become extremely capable and sufficient for meeting most ordinary photographic requirements, so I figure best to take advantage of this fact and reach beyond them only on a "as needed" basis.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up