Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Browsing Welcome  (Read 1020 times)

stamper

Browsing Welcome
« on: June 05, 2016, 09:48:20 am »

! or ?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Browsing Welcome
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 10:06:14 am »

Question 1: Does the place have a sign that says: "If you break it you've bought it?"

Question 2: Is the yellow deliberate or did you forget to use the Camera Raw White Balance dropper to balance the color?

Good shot, Robert. It's a mess.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:33:47 am »

I like the photo. I think a yellow/orange cast is appropriate. I think if you tone it down, it will look more deliberate and less like a color balance error.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 11:06:03 am »

I could accept a bit of yellowish, but somewhat toned down. Russ's version looks a bit too antiseptic, so I'd go somewhere in between.

I think the answer to Russ's first question is in the fine print on a small tag on the bottom of the white teapot in the lower right corner.

Nice shot. I always have to watch my elbows carefully in similar shops.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

stamper

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 03:21:06 am »

Question 1: Does the place have a sign that says: "If you break it you've bought it?"

Question 2: Is the yellow deliberate or did you forget to use the Camera Raw White Balance dropper to balance the color?

Good shot, Robert. It's a mess.

That was the original colour hence I left it as it was. I thought about B&W but I think some of the tones would be lost. Yes the image is a mess, that was why I shot it. This was the outside of the shop in an arcade and the inside of the shop was an even bigger mess. Not an image that a photographic purist would enjoy.

seamus finn

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 07:15:57 am »

That was the original colour hence I left it as it was. I thought about B&W but I think some of the tones would be lost. Yes the image is a mess, that was why I shot it. This was the outside of the shop in an arcade and the inside of the shop was an even bigger mess. Not an image that a photographic purist would enjoy.

Personally, I love that kind of chaos, and yes, I like this one too. A bit yellow for me, but it's all in the eye of the beholder.

stamper

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:50:12 am »

Thanks for the feedback. seamus hit the nail on the head....it's all in the eye of the beholder. I don't think neutralizing colours is a good thing because imo a good colour image should have a cast of some sort. I decided that the strong colour that the indoor lights provided gave the image some "strength" Obviously others disagreed and that is to be expected.  :)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 11:47:42 am »

How about a little of both. I didn't like the antiseptic look Russ gave it and agree that totally neutralizing the color cast doesn't work very well either but adding a bit back to the neutralizing and then bumping up the mid-tones a bit seems to give it the best of both worlds (well, my humbl opinion aside, of course :-) )

I assume everyone know more about Photoshop than I do, but in case I know a fun little trick that you do not, I will pass this on. One the top Menu Bar under Image, go to "Adjustments" then to "Match Color" and in that dialogue, check the "Neutralize" button. You can leave as is since it removes any color cast issues or using the fader bar, introduce some of the original image back without adding an color cast to the whites. It is what I used on this image with a fade back of 42%.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 11:59:30 am »

Trouble with that, Chris, is that Photoshop doesn't know what should be a neutral gray or a white. To get true colors you have to tell it. It can make some pretty good guesses, but that's all they are -- guesses. The simplest way to tell it is to use the White Balance dropper in Camera Raw, assuming YOU know what should be neutral gray or white. If you don't, then you have to let Photoshop guess.

But I wasn't criticizing stamper's choice of color. I was asking a question. I don't happen to like color casts in my pictures, but lots of others do, and that's their privilege.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 12:18:03 pm »

Trouble with that, Chris, is that Photoshop doesn't know what should be a neutral gray or a white. To get true colors you have to tell it. It can make some pretty good guesses, but that's all they are -- guesses. The simplest way to tell it is to use the White Balance dropper in Camera Raw, assuming YOU know what should be neutral gray or white. If you don't, then you have to let Photoshop guess.

But I wasn't criticizing stamper's choice of color. I was asking a question. I don't happen to like color casts in my pictures, but lots of others do, and that's their privilege.

I shall have to test this...but it does make sense.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 12:50:02 pm »

That was the original colour ...

Ok, I won't get into the debate whether someone prefers their colors "antiseptic" or as if someone spilled a bag of Cheetos on it, but I am intrigued by the concept of 'original color." The image actually looks more like the original sin, but I digress.

So, what exactly is the original color? If you shoot indoors with tungsten lights, but the camera was set to jpeg and daylight white balance, what exactly is the original color then? If that was a result of Auto WB, then the camera needs to go for repair faster than you can finish that bag of Cheetos.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2016, 01:34:47 pm »

The subject are objects from a time gone by. So, for me it's color needs to convey that feeling. One man's opinion...

Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up