Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Immature Least Bittern  (Read 1327 times)

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Immature Least Bittern
« on: June 05, 2016, 01:48:53 am »

A full grown Least Bittern is not much bigger than two hand lengths (if that). An immature Least Bittern as shown in these three images is not much bigger than a single hand length when in its compressed state, though when extending its neck, can reach almost twice that length.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Immature Least Bittern
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 09:46:21 am »

That's a great set, Chris.
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 10:37:58 am »

Very nicely done Chris!
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

churly

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 07:41:49 pm »

Very nicely done Chris!

Ditto!  I'm enjoying your Bitterns.
Chuck Hurich

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 11:37:29 pm »

Thanks, all. I have so many from this last outing, you'd probably shoot me if I posted them...but I do want to share one more with you.

The Contortionist
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 04:38:18 am »

Of the first set, I like the framing of #3 the best, though the squawk not so much.
(The bittern looks focused in the other shots, but like he has an IQ of 1 when he squawks, lol.)
From a timing standpoint, though, it could be argued it's the best of the bunch.

I like the pose of the bittern in #2 the best, you really nailed it. It would be (IMO) a shoe-in for the pick, but unfortunately that stick in the background distracts and takes away from an otherwise perfect shot.

#1 is very clean, but it's cropped too tightly (looks like he's hunched in a box). It would probably show better not quite so tight.
(On all the shots, you crop too close to the tops of their heads, IMO.)

Those quibbles aside, it's a very nice series, and I know it is tough to get nature to "be perfect," so excellent job at getting close.

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 08:35:32 am »

Of the first set, I like the framing of #3 the best, though the squawk not so much.
(The bittern looks focused in the other shots, but like he has an IQ of 1 when he squawks, lol.)
From a timing standpoint, though, it could be argued it's the best of the bunch.

I like the pose of the bittern in #2 the best, you really nailed it. It would be (IMO) a shoe-in for the pick, but unfortunately that stick in the background distracts and takes away from an otherwise perfect shot.

#1 is very clean, but it's cropped too tightly (looks like he's hunched in a box). It would probably show better not quite so tight.
(On all the shots, you crop too close to the tops of their heads, IMO.)

All of these quibbles are easy fixes. I generally go for the closer crops to show better feather detail but on each there is plenty of leeway room to open them up. The stick will be unstuck with a little clever content aware. Thanks for the input.

Those quibbles aside, it's a very nice series, and I know it is tough to get nature to "be perfect," so excellent job at getting close.
Pages: [1]   Go Up