Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fiber Optic Cables on Strobes  (Read 4015 times)

JoeKitchen

Fiber Optic Cables on Strobes
« on: June 04, 2016, 08:22:33 am »

Is it possible to rig or make a light modifier for strobe that sends light down fiber optics? 

That, or are there any decent mini strobes, or flashes, that would create sources of light about the size of a candle flame with photo cell eyes for triggering? 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

frfr

Re: Fiber Optic Cables on Strobes
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 09:27:38 am »

Hi Joe,

Several brands have their fiber optic system, I can think about the Broncolor one, Elinchrom, Balcar, Dynalite, and there are probably others. Few years ago I bought 2 of the old Balcar Microlite system for very cheap and adapted them very easily to Broncolor mount with zip ties and few holes in the added Bron mount.
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:12:07 am »

Thanks, I'll have to look into those. 

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 07:05:01 pm »

Joe
The Broncolor Fibrolite is the perfect tool for your desires.
You can use 4 fiber optics with 3200 Ws and adjust the brightness individually.
Every fiber cable has an optic to adjust the light diameter and a filterholder.
For studio work I often need the full power, so a 3200 W pack is necessary.
The modeling light is not bright enough to evaluate the effect, but helps to hit the target.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 01:38:45 pm »

Certainly cool stuff, but it appears that few make their units any more.  I have been having a hard time finding them on B&H. 

Would I be able to rig one myself with cable I buy off the shelf?  Plus, I am not looking for so much small strobes to light up watches, etc.  More for creating candle light within a scene. 

ben730

• www.benhuggler.com
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 03:29:49 pm »

I think you can easily rig one by yourself. But be aware of the heat of the modeling light.
One problem is, you need at the end of the cable an optic.
Elinchrome has a system that is easy adaptable to other brands.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/16783-REG/Elinchrom_EL_26430_Fiber_Lite_Kit.html

BTW: For this picture I used a fresnelspot and 4 fiber lights. The light is very hard and not ideal
for watches (metal) but perfect to bring some "glow" into jewellery or to lighten drinks from behind......

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 01:52:19 am »

These fiber optic kits are expensive and some what limited.    You can buy fiber optic cables on ebay for not too much and you can make your own holders to position the cable ends near your strobe. Spare strobe covers work nicely.   You can also add a lens in the holder (fresnel or magnifying glass) to concentrate the light from your strobe into the end of the fiber cable.   The industrial light sources use a dichroic filter to removed the IR from the light to provide a heat less light which can be important for some subjects.  You can buy those filters at places like surplus shed.   
Rolleiflex USA

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:10 pm »

These fiber optic kits are expensive and some what limited.    You can buy fiber optic cables on ebay for not too much and you can make your own holders to position the cable ends near your strobe. Spare strobe covers work nicely.   You can also add a lens in the holder (fresnel or magnifying glass) to concentrate the light from your strobe into the end of the fiber cable.   The industrial light sources use a dichroic filter to removed the IR from the light to provide a heat less light which can be important for some subjects.  You can buy those filters at places like surplus shed.

This is what I was thinking and have been looking up info on fiber optics.  Is seems like the materials are pretty cheap and it is easy to get light to travel though the cable. 

I spoke to an engineer about it too, and he said that so long as the cable is tightly held in place and the fibers are flush to each other, light travel is fairly easy to achieve. 

Now it is just a means of attaching the cable to the strobe.  I came up with a simple design with several cables, but they would all be bound together.  I feel this is too limited though.  I want to be able to remove and add cables at will. 

If I ever need to have a cable hidden under someone's clothing, running the cable through their sleeve and down the body and leg would be easier, and less awkward, then going up the leg/body and out the sleeve. 

Brent Daniels

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 09:37:24 am »

Some time ago (20yrs +) I once rented a tungsten fiber optic lighting unit. It had 3 cables out of it I think. Not sure who made it but it was one of the major film tungsten companies. Taking something like that and modifying it could work. If you could find one. The other half way there option would be to find a Hosemaster or 2 out of some studio store room and start there. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up