Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help please? Drag and drop/overlapping image in Photpshop  (Read 2589 times)

Brad P

Help please? Drag and drop/overlapping image in Photpshop
« on: June 02, 2016, 11:40:52 pm »

Occasionally I edit images in Photoshop with many fast brushstrokea and somehow I drag and drop my entire image on top of itself.  The image on one side is clipped, and on the other side the image overlaps.  I have fixed it in the past by going back in the history tab to the time where I see that done, but today I've gone too far for that event to appear.

If it's not in my history, I have a feeling I'm cooked and I'll just have to either start over (no way - I've literally worked all day on this) or crop the image and resize it with some diminution in image quality (it's a really big print).

Any clues on how I can fix this?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 04:28:28 am by Brad P »

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro

Aren't those overlapping images on two different layers?

Brad P

Nope.   

Brad P

Here is a picture that shows the problem. On the other side of the picture the top "later" is clipped By an equal amount.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Any clues on how I can fix this?

Hi Brad,

Since you don't work on layers, there's not much left to work with. Maybe "Image>Reveal All" can find some hidden canvas content on the cropped side?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Brad P

Re: Help please? Drag and drop/overlapping image in Photpshop
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 05:39:05 am »

Thanks Bart. 

Image>Reveal All is blanked out.

I do work with layers but since my file sizes are so large (2gb+) and memory only 32gb, I flatten occasionally as I work.  This problem occurred after I last flattened.   

I was clone stamping lighter color furiously along a long over sharpened dark line.  Probably 500 brush strokes.  This was likely the workflow that caused the problem (from experience). Sometimes when I do this type of work my open applications collapse on the screen and I think that might coincide with the times this problem occurs, in case that helps anyone.  I work in Mac OSX.

Brad

TonyW

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 06:49:04 am »

I do work with layers but since my file sizes are so large (2gb+) and memory only 32gb, I flatten occasionally as I work.  This problem occurred after I last flattened.   
Unfortunately there is no way you can recover the lost edges as the act of flattening has merged the offset images into a single render, effectively acting like the crop tool with delete cropped pixels ticked.

What appears to have happened is that you have inadvertently nudged your top layer revealing a portion of the background layer and once flattened you do not have enough history states to revert back to the point you nudged your layer, or if saved the image will no longer have any history.

While it is annoying to have lost a portion of the image maybe a crop would not harm it too much?  Otherwise perhaps Content Aware Fill could help as in the attachment (click on attachment and wait a few seconds for image change)

Brad P

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:54:07 pm »

Aha! Tony thank you for solving the mystery. 

If anyone else runs into this problem, if you accidentally or purposefully hit both the spacebar together with the "v" key just above it (which you can easily do when you are furiously doing fine zoomed-in brush work and panning in different directions using the spacebar and mouse), your next depressed click with the mouse will move your layer.  I'm going to assign a control key to that so I don't accidentally do it yet another time.  This fat finger problem has been my nemesis.

Fortunately, I did have my last "flatten" in history.  I went back to the state just before that and was able to nudge the layer back to its proper place.  When I ran into this problem last night, I'm glad I just walked away and asked this group!  Now back to brushing out the dark lines ...
Pages: [1]   Go Up