Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica S lenses can be used on Leica SL - Leica adapter is available right now  (Read 2856 times)

hasselbladfan

Pricing and availability

The Leica S-Adapter L is available now from Leica stores and authorised Leica dealers in the UK at a suggested retail price of £950 including VAT.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 04:24:23 pm by hasselbladfan »

Theodoros

Now this means that Contax 645 & Hasselblad H lenses can also be used on the SL... doesn't it? And then that the SL can be used instead of  an MFDB on a view camera with all the Leica S, Contax 645 & Hasselblad H lenses with full dedication on the front standard as well as the "traditional solutions" of Rodenstock & Sneiders and MF mechanical lenses...

May I remind that the T mount that the SL is using is 6mm wider  than Sony's "E" mount? ....why do I suspect that there will be a Sinar offering by Photokina this year that will be dedicated to the SL?

Steve Hendrix

• http://www.captureintegration.com/

Now this means that Contax 645 & Hasselblad H lenses can also be used on the SL... doesn't it? And then that the SL can be used instead of  an MFDB on a view camera with all the Leica S, Contax 645 & Hasselblad H lenses with full dedication on the front standard as well as the "traditional solutions" of Rodenstock & Sneiders and MF mechanical lenses...

May I remind that the T mount that the SL is using is 6mm wider  than Sony's "E" mount? ....why do I suspect that there will be a Sinar offering by Photokina this year that will be dedicated to the SL?

This is a nice development, we've been waiting for this. It remains to be seen whether the Contax/Hasselblad adapters will work in full communication, though that is our optimistic expectation. However, even if they do, once you're on a view camera, the lens communication would be broken by the bellows, unless Sinar cooked up something along the lines of the electronic bellows utilized in the Sinar P3 (so, not completely out of the realm).

https://captureintegration.com/sinar-p3/

Steve Hendrix/CI
Steve Hendrix • 404-543-8475 www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Alpa | Cambo | Sinar | Arca Swiss

Theodoros

Well Steven... As long as I have a view camera, an SL and the adapter, there is nothing stopping one to convert the view camera frames by using  dummy mounts (out of an extension tube will do) and then connect the CPU pins back to the adapter externally using simple flex cables...  ;D I even guess if one uses two extension rings so that he has two "dummy" cords made that have a lens mount on one side and the camera mount on the other... then the adapter can even be removable and used on the SL  at any time...  ::)  ;)

So... one doesn't have to wait for the Sinar dedicated bellows... he can use the lenses with the SL on any view camera that is mechanically compatible (like all the Arca or the Cambo for instance) ...right now!  :-X  ;)  8)

Steve Hendrix

Well Steven... As long as I have a view camera, an SL and the adapter, there is nothing stopping one to convert the view camera frames by using  dummy mounts (out of an extension tube will do) and then connect the CPU pins back to the adapter externally using simple flex cables...  ;D I even guess if one uses two extension rings so that he has two "dummy" cords made that have a lens mount on one side and the camera mount on the other... then the adapter can even be removable and used on the SL  at any time...  ::)  ;)

So... one doesn't have to wait for the Sinar dedicated bellows... he can use the lenses with the SL on any view camera that is mechanically compatible (like all the Arca or the Cambo for instance) ...right now!  :-X  ;)  8)

Well, yeah...

Keep in mind pretty much anything I post in here is not going to preclude the possibility of a DIY creation. And more power to those who are enterprising. Respect. But the majority of users typically choose a more conventional, and let's face it, often more optimal, approach to equipment solutions. I'm mostly involved with those users, so my posts will reflect those solutions.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Theodoros

But off course... I'm not asking you to comment on subjects that could be damaging for the financial interest of equipment that providers make... However, I cannot help to wonder on why companies like CI don't make some associated equipment them selves that could help sales by a lot...

For instance... why should one buy Cambo's Canon eos adapter for the asking price, when he can get an 100$ Chinese adapter for EOS lenses to Sony a7 cameras and then two extension rings (one Sony to Sony, the other Canon to Canon) for another 20-30$ and make his own adapter for a tenth of the cost... (and additionally have an aperture control Canon to Sony adapter)....  ;)

Wouldn't it be good business for CI (or other dealers) to order their own adapters from the makers in China as to both provide solutions (with extra profit)  to the customers, as well as to help boost sales of hardware further...  ::)

Steve Hendrix

But off course... I'm not asking you to comment on subjects that could be damaging for the financial interest of equipment that providers make... However, I cannot help to wonder on why companies like CI don't make some associated equipment them selves that could help sales by a lot...

For instance... why should one buy Cambo's Canon eos adapter for the asking price, when he can get an 100$ Chinese adapter for EOS lenses to Sony a7 cameras and then two extension rings (one Sony to Sony, the other Canon to Canon) for another 20-30$ and make his own adapter for a tenth of the cost... (and additionally have an aperture control Canon to Sony adapter)....  ;)

Wouldn't it be good business for CI (or other dealers) to order their own adapters from the makers in China as to both provide solutions (with extra profit)  to the customers, as well as to help boost sales of hardware further...  ::)

Without making any statement as to the efficacy of all the various adapter and other assorted product producers who create independently, the reason we partner with a company like Cambo, for instance, is not to "help sales by a lot". The reason is because this is a partner with a true photographic legacy, with a proven pedigree - going back decades - of engineering excellence and innovation, who stand behind their products, that creates entire system solutions, and who has a history of very positive relationship opportunities with value added dealers, like Capture Integration.

We must be able to count on our partners, because our clients count on us. Our business model is built on sustainable customer experiences that turn into long term relationships, not short term profit opportunities. Sorry for the promotional sounding answer, but you asked, and it's the truth.

Nothing to hold you back from engaging in these solutions on your own, as most of these companies do sell directly to the consumer.

Steve Hendrix/CI
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 02:19:54 pm by Steve Hendrix »

Theodoros

Oh... I've done that already!  ;)

Converted a Sinar P2 by removing both the frames altogether, then machined two new frames of circular shape (front φ85, rear φ72 - so that Sony's grip is recessed by the frame) that end to "L" shape legs (front one looking front, rear one looking back) and new bases on the standards that the new frames can be slotted in and then moved forth and back so that one can adjust for the center of the image area and of the lens entrance pupil as to be exactly at the center of which the tilt arc is part off... (radius retained to 12cm for both front & rear standards).

Off course got rid of Sinar's parallel plane system, made a leather bellows of four sections (front and rear 12cm side, middle two 14cm) so that it can be squeezed to a few mm, but can do macro too and finally... Got an inexpensive Contax N to Sony a7 adapter, sacrificed one of my Contax 645 extention rings and an inexpensive Sony extension ring and ended up not only using all my Contax 645 glass on the (converted) P2 with a Sony A7II, but to also have a trully yaw free camera despite the lens used or the image area type...  :) Let alone that I ended up with an army of compatible lenses through the widely available adapters of the Novoflex Balpro (85mm lensbords).

Next is to use my Fuji GX-680 glass on it (with electronic leaf shutter control) and adapt my Sinarback 54H and Hassy CF-39MS on an (again converted so that it can fit on the rear circular mount - but to the outside diameter of it) Kapture group sliding back and I will have multishot too with the leaf shutter of the Fujinons, but with the Rollei lenses of the 6xxx system and the Rollei shutters too via the Rollei control S system...   :)

I guess it isn't the financial saving... It is more that I'm ending up with a "perfect" accurate & sturdy camera that can combine shifts and tilts yet remaining completely yaw free and distortionless, can do multishot, can do extremely accurate stitching even at very close distances  needed for architecture - having its nodal point totally corrected and can provide extreme distortionless WA captures of up to 120 degrees (with the Apo sironar 45mm) if one stitches two image circles of the lens shifted for right and left...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:46:36 pm by Theodoros »

JV

Now this means that Contax 645 & Hasselblad H lenses can also be used on the SL... doesn't it?

No, unfortunately it doesn't.  Apparently it says explicitly in the manual that stacking of adapters is not possible...

Theodoros

No, unfortunately it doesn't.  Apparently it says explicitly in the manual that stacking of adapters is not possible...

What is in the manual, should mean that the AF of Contax or Hassy H won't work... and of course the leaf shutter of Hasselblad H... There is no reason for aperture not to work (the only thing needed for photography with a tech camera) unless if Leica has blocked it on purpose... I think that aperture will work, despite what the manual says... 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 09:47:21 pm by Theodoros »
Pages: [1]   Go Up