Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Capture One Beta Program  (Read 6112 times)

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
New Capture One Beta Program
« on: June 02, 2016, 12:01:35 pm »

We have successfully launched our new beta platform and we are looking for more people to add to the feedback stream.

If you would like to get your hands on our latest beta from the software Gnomes then all you have to do is go to www.phaseone.com/beta and register.

You can then get the latest beta download (with all the new shiny features to play with) and documentation from the my pages area of your profile.
Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S

AlterEgo

Re: New Capture One Beta Program
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 12:31:36 pm »

We

I think it will be better to mod your forum profile to include the signature, like = Jim DK (Tech Support Phase One Danmark) ...

JimDK

• Capture One - Made by Phase One
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:45:55 am »

As you like.
Software Product Manager - Phase One A/S

qwz

• http://vassiliev.net
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 03:54:13 am »

[deleted]
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 05:12:11 am by qwz »

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 01:46:06 pm »

More flexible key-bindings is good BUT why it can be done also with DUST/SPOT tool? Simply separate it with O and O w/o need to dig into Tool Tab to switch between?

Also i didn't find a welcome possibility to import filenames list to make an Album from.

Please note by entering the beta program you signed an NDA. Thereby posts such as this are actually a breach.

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

AlterEgo

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 02:30:12 pm »

Please note by entering the beta program you signed an NDA. Thereby posts such as this are actually a breach.

I think that such mass "beta" program shall not be a genuine "NDA" program... because it is akin to secret de polichinelle (c) people who eat frogs

• Capture One
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 02:48:29 am »

I think that such mass "beta" program shall not be a genuine "NDA" program... because it is akin to secret de polichinelle (c) people who eat frogs

Terms and conditions

All information in the beta test program is Confidential Information and you agree not to distribute the software or a link or to post or discuss any issues that go on during the beta test. You, as a Tester, agree that you will maintain the confidentiality of the Confidential Information to a reasonable degree of care in protecting and avoiding disclosure or use of Confidential Information.

You can not notify others about the content of the beta software, reference the beta publicly, show images processed in the beta software, show the icon, publicly reference the content of these emails and documents, or distribute the beta software.
David Grover

AlterEgo

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 09:11:27 am »

Terms and conditions
this was not about what is in T&C, but about whether that shall be in T&C at all really... this is akin to public beta testing really.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:55 am »

this was not about what is in T&C, but about whether that shall be in T&C at all really... this is akin to public beta testing really.

Hi,

The terms and conditions about this seem clear, things are not to made public by those who partake in the testing. I don't have the time, so I didn't enroll and therefore do not know, but I can imagine that a certain level of active/structured feedback is also expected.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

AlterEgo

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 09:47:48 am »

Hi,

The terms and conditions about this seem clear, things are not to made public by those who partake in the testing. I don't have the time, so I didn't enroll and therefore do not know, but I can imagine that a certain level of active/structured feedback is also expected.

Cheers,
Bart

you are too missing the point... if C1 wants (otherwise why come inviting ?) ___mass testing__ (also marketing tool to keep users happy, yes) for a "public beta" version by people who typically do not do "NDA beta" testing (that is naturally, one can logically assume, after some "internal beta" testing by trusted beta testers) then do not come verbally after somebody posted a question/issue which is not something ruining P1's business...

and this is not somehow prevents "certain level of active/structured feedback" - what do you think P1 people are doing here in the "official" capacity ? they also collect feedback and structure it themselves for the company (I hope so).

my point is - this kind/stage of "beta" testing shall not be under such "NDA" terms, unlike the stage before it... call it "release candidate" if you want then
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 09:52:16 am by AlterEgo »

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2016, 10:17:10 am »

you are too missing the point... if C1 wants (otherwise why come inviting ?) ___mass testing__ (also marketing tool to keep users happy, yes) for a "public beta" version by people who typically do not do "NDA beta" testing (that is naturally, one can logically assume, after some "internal beta" testing by trusted beta testers) then do not come verbally after somebody posted a question/issue which is not something ruining P1's business...

and this is not somehow prevents "certain level of active/structured feedback" - what do you think P1 people are doing here in the "official" capacity ? they also collect feedback and structure it themselves for the company (I hope so).

my point is - this kind/stage of "beta" testing shall not be under such "NDA" terms, unlike the stage before it... call it "release candidate" if you want then

Hi,

I disagree with your take on it, and I think I do understand what it's about.

I agree that this has an open invitation aspect to it, but then those who wish to participate must follow the rules. I do not know the full T&Cs, so I cannot judge all that's said in the T&Cs. Maybe people are required to sign a formal NDA, maybe they are just told that they have to abide or risk getting excluded.

The public Betas you are thinking of are indeed of a more promotional nature, but can also easily fail to deliver meaningful feedback (beyond that a feature doesn't work, on a specific hardware configuration). I'm also not sure if an Adobe CC should not be considered as indeed a public (paid) Beta, but that's something for another thread.

Because different hardware can generate different issues, and challenges and opportunities, it's clever to involve more that the usual few suspects. I've only too often seen software mostly tested by Mac OS Beta testers (because for some deluded assumption they are considered more relevant), to discover that the larger numbers of Windows users get confronted with poorly tested features upon release.

So I see the open invitation for participation as an attempt to get more useful/diverse feedback. Had they wanted to use it for promotion, then the NDA terms would not be there to begin with. All IMHO of course.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:38:29 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

pegelli

• http://pegelli.smugmug.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 10:28:23 am »

My point would be - isn't that up to P1 to determine?
Obviously you're free to give them advice but this seems to go further (but maybe I'm reading your words more strictly vs. what you meant).
pieter, aka pegelli

AlterEgo

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2016, 10:36:22 am »

My point would be - isn't that up to P1 to determine?

yes, and it is up to us to voice (repeatedly if we must) our opinions/objections/etc

Obviously you're free to give them advice

so I do that exactly

but maybe I'm reading your words more strictly vs. what you meant

most probably...

AlterEgo

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:19 am »

I agree that this has an open invitation aspect to it, but then those who wish to participate must follow the rules.

yes, and I am calling to change the rules

The public Betas you are thinking of are indeed of a more promotional nature, but can also easily fail to deliver meaningful feedback

yes, may fail - but do you think including the unnecessary NDA for __this level of "beta" (which I shall call "release candidate") testing done by openly invited hoi polloi participants__ will somehow increase the level of meaningful feedback ? those who can by nature want/can/capable/prefer to file a support case will do, regardless - but then P1 is fine with bugs/issues discussion on their U2U (public) forums, even their people of course do call / ask / encourage regularly users to file support cases... inserting NDA is not the right way for this case... I doubt C1 will be releasing some really new secret ("market leading", "LR killers") features, to that kind of testers anyways at a stage when disclosure can do any harm whatsoever...

« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 10:47:55 am by AlterEgo »

pegelli

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2016, 10:44:49 am »

yes, and it is up to us to voice (repeatedly if we must) our opinions/objections/etc
Only if we object of course, which I don't. I have no problems with such NDA terms and understand why P1 is having them.
Note, I'm in no way connected to P1, other than that I'm a user of C1 for some of my raw conversions. I will also not participate in the beta program, because like Bart I don't have enough time at the moment to devote to it. But if I had I would happily participate under these type of conditions. I think they're fair, I get to look at some new features (which might or might not materialize in a future commercial version) and have a voice in how it works or should be developed further. In return I promise to only provide feedback to the organization that gave me this new software.
pieter, aka pegelli

AlterEgo

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2016, 10:50:36 am »

I get to look at some new features (which might or might not materialize in a future commercial version)

and, I repeat, I doubt that you are at that level (circle, etc) of testing (means you are not really testing such features that may or may not make it - you are just testing for bugs in the imminent release) by enrolling in this __open to anybody from the street to come and join on line__ program...

pegelli

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 10:55:40 am »

and, I repeat, I doubt that you are at that level (circle, etc) of testing (means you are not really testing such features that may or may not make it - you are just testing for bugs in the imminent release) by enrolling in this __open to anybody from the street to come and join on line__ program...
Two reactions to this
1: You don't know
2: Even if you're right "so-what"
pieter, aka pegelli

• Capture One
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2016, 12:20:53 pm »

The terms and conditions are clear.  If you that doesn't work for you, then of course you don't have to join.

The purpose of the program is not exclusive to release candidates.

We successfully released Capture One 9 to to a beta group. I would say thats a pretty big pre-release and why an NDA is important.
David Grover

AlterEgo

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2016, 03:44:13 pm »

Two reactions to this
1: You don't know
2: Even if you're right "so-what"

1. no outsider knows and P1 rep is P1 rep (means stick publicly to the party line till the party change the tune)
2. nothing we are here to express our opinions which I do, you do and David does

AlterEgo

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2016, 03:52:38 pm »

I would say

I am not sure if I can agree or disagree because NDA binds  ;D ...  catch 22
Pages: [1]   Go Up