Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best site/Tutorial To learn more on LR5  (Read 3674 times)

rollsman44

Best site/Tutorial To learn more on LR5
« on: May 31, 2016, 05:05:31 pm »

I have been using LR for about 2 years now and using LR5 now.  I like the PP I get BUT I want to improve on my PP especially on my Portraits and Group photos. Is there a Tutorial that can show me more of what I need to do? Thank you

rdonson

Re: Best site/Tutorial To learn more on LR5
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 06:16:27 pm »

You may be able to find what you're looking for here:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos
Regards,
Ron

rollsman44

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 06:43:49 pm »

WOW   Awesome.  Thank you

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:39:14 pm »

I have been using LR for about 2 years now and using LR5 now.  I like the PP I get BUT I want to improve on my PP especially on my Portraits and Group photos. Is there a Tutorial that can show me more of what I need to do? Thank you

I have no idea what PP stands for, but there are 3 components to using image processing software.  First is how to use the software, 2nd is how do I do this technique in the software and the final is how to take an image from X to Y.  There are tons of tutorials for the first 2 and Kost's are some of the best.  Unfortunately, the third item is the key.  Let's face it, any monkey can tell you where the Detail panel is and how to push and pull a slider.  Knowing what sliders to push, which to pull, how much and why is the trick.  Being able to look at an image and read the numbers and tell it needs a color shift and how to do it, needs less contrast, needs more sharpening...etc.  Unfortunately, it is hard to teach and therefore, I have not found a lot on the web.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 07:43:06 pm »

Julianne's training videos are just the best for new users of Lightroom to get un to speed. The best part are they are free, there are tutorials that provide more advanced info for the serious enthusiast and professionals but there is a cost involved.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

rdonson

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:16:50 pm »

Knowing what sliders to push, which to pull, how much and why is the trick.  Being able to look at an image and read the numbers and tell it needs a color shift and how to do it, needs less contrast, needs more sharpening...etc.  Unfortunately, it is hard to teach and therefore, I have not found a lot on the web.

That's called experience.  You've got to earn your expert stripes.  There are resources online that will help in this regard a lot though.  B&H has some wonderful free videos.  PHLEARN for digging into PS.  Lynda.com, KelbyOne to name but a few.... yep, many of the good ones require that you spend some $$$ to get the training you want to advance and work towards mastery of digital processing. 
Regards,
Ron

Rand47

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 09:04:02 pm »

The Luminous-Landscape Tutorials are really great...  Michael and Jeff's interaction and comments contain a wealth of both technical and aesthetic information.  Plus, they are FUN to watch.

Also, anything by George Jardine is truly excellent.  A lot of well organized information presented with the right "pace" and great communication skills:  http://mulita.com/blog/

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 09:26:28 pm »

Ditto on George Jardine; the best!
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 07:52:34 am »

That's called experience.  You've got to earn your expert stripes.  There are resources online that will help in this regard a lot though.  B&H has some wonderful free videos.  PHLEARN for digging into PS.  Lynda.com, KelbyOne to name but a few.... yep, many of the good ones require that you spend some $$$ to get the training you want to advance and work towards mastery of digital processing.

Well, yes of course expertise comes with experience.  That much is obvious.  However, there is 3 levels of training.  Let's say the Sharpening Panel.

Level 1:  Tells you where to find the tool and how to move a slider

Level 2:  This goes into gruesome detail on definitions of Amount, Radius, Detail and Masking mean.

Level 3:  This helps you take the specific knowledge gained in Level 1 and 2 and apply to the general cases to target your experience in order to expedite gaining expertise.  Some instructors can't do this because they can't articulate how or why they do what they do or like what they like.  Somewhat gets into philosophical approach.  Requires ability to separate "personal preferences"from "acceptable" results.

Think of Level I and II as Math instruction.  Level III as Engineering instruction that takes levels I & II and teaches you how to apply it.  My rule in college was always try to take math courses from engineering professors.

rdonson

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 10:22:15 am »

DSWAGER, I understand what you're saying and it makes sense.  Step 3 helps gets you to basic competence and you're correct that it requires human guidance. 

Mastery and expertise is another level.  Think in terms of music, chess, sports and art and how the great ones attained their mastery.

Malcolm Gladwell's book "Outliers" sheds light on some very interesting aspects of success.

"Peak: Secrets from the New Science of Expertise" by Anders Ericsson and Robert Pool shed a lot more light on developing expertise and mastery.
Regards,
Ron

JeanMichel

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 10:56:39 am »

There are may resources – in books or on the web – for this, but I would suggest that by simply clicking on "Luminous Landscape Home" and then going to "Videos" will bring up a wealth of information on LR.
Jean-Michel

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »

I have no idea what PP stands for
Post processing.

So many posts, so little learnt.

dwswager

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:54:37 pm »

Post processing.

So many posts, so little learnt.

I've never seen PP in any post before and never felt the need for the acronym.  Of course something like AMSAC makes sense as an acronym.

ATWS - Anticipated Transient Without SCRAM (Safety Control Rod Axe Man)
Mitigation
System
Actuation
Circuitry

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2016, 09:47:39 pm »

I've never seen PP in any post before and never felt the need for the acronym. 
That makes two of us.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

davidedric

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2016, 07:24:03 am »

And when you want to deep dive, try Mr. Schewe's "The Digital Negative"  :)

Another George Jardine fan here.

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up