Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bristlecone Pines (other than Schulman & Patriarch)?  (Read 2293 times)

mshea

Bristlecone Pines (other than Schulman & Patriarch)?
« on: May 31, 2016, 03:26:09 pm »

I've explored the Schulman and Patriarch groves pretty extensively over the years and I'm returning this July for a few days, camping at Grand View. I'm wondering if there are nearby areas worth checking out. For instance, there's an abandoned road that runs down into a valley that's to the east of Patriarch. I've followed it for a short distance (1/2 mile), but never all the way to the valley. Anything interesting down there? I'm also wondering about areas off the road leading from Schulman to Patriarch. I'm up for a mile or so hike from the road. Those trees are addictive!

Thanks,
Merrill

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
Re: Bristlecone Pines (other than Schulman & Patriarch)?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 03:41:58 pm »

Yes they are addictive. Been there several times and would also like to know of other areas. A buddy shot some in the Great Basin National Park last year. Although that's a long ways from where you will be.
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image

mshea

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 05:17:16 pm »

Hi Jan,

I visited the Great Basin Nat. Park bristlecones a few years ago, but I only explored the Wheeler Peak Grove. I've seen photos from the other two groves, but they're much more difficult to access and I could never find my way to either of them.

Merrill

CoyoteButtes

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 03:38:27 pm »

Merrill, some years ago i tried that road to the east of Schulman and went down pretty far. It didn't get any better. Stay high.

mshea

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:12:30 am »

Thanks for the tip. Lucky you, living near the Buttes!

algrove

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 10:41:39 pm »

Seen many rental cars get cut tires in that area. Bigger SUV rental better just due to bigger tires.

bellimages

• http://www.bellimages.com
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 09:12:10 pm »

Seen many rental cars get cut tires in that area. Bigger SUV rental better just due to bigger tires.

I can attest to a cut tire (on a rental). It happened to me on the road coming back from the Patriarch Grove early one evening. Bad thing is that the rental vehicle's jack was missing. Fortunately one last person came along and helped out
Jan Bell, Owner/Photographer, Bell Image
Pages: [1]   Go Up