Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I buy a Tilt-Shift lens  (Read 7645 times)

OutdoorsLover

• For the love of Photography!
Should I buy a Tilt-Shift lens
« on: May 31, 2016, 12:23:57 pm »

Hi all,

I love shooting landscapes (probably like everyone on this site), and when I travel (something I do a bit of), I like shooting churches, towns, bridges, and famous architecture. To that end, I'm thinking of buying a Canon TS-E 24 ƒ/3.5 II Tilt-shift lens (to use with my 5D Mk III), so that I can capture the proper perspective of the subject.

I'm questioning how much I'll really use it. Do you have one a T/S lens? How often do you find yourself you using? What subjects do you use it for most often For landscapes, I currently have a 16-35mm, 24-105mm, 24mm, and 50mm that I use most often. Sometimes I'll use my 100-400mm as well. I've been borrowing a friends TS-E 17mm, and have been enjoying it, when I use it.

Thanks!

Eric Brody

• http://www.ericbrodyphoto.com
Re: Should I buy a Tilt-Shift lens
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 02:39:54 pm »

I cannot definitively answer your question but I can share with you my experiences. I have the three Nikon T/S lenses, 24-45-85, and when I used my D800E all the time, I loved them. It took me back to my 4x5 view camera days, though they are much harder to use than my 4x5. Even with decent live view, and a good magnifier, it's hard and time consuming to focus on the small screen for me. I no longer use them very often, though I'd like to, since I've pretty much switched to Fuji. While I can physically mount them on my Fuji X T-1 with an adaptor, the PC-E aperture control is electronic and thus there is no way to control the f/stop. I am not certain but I believe the Canon's also use electronic aperture. Check if you have any plans for another camera in the future. The only workaround I've figured out is to place the lens on the Nikon, set the aperture, and remove the lens without shutting off the Nikon. Clearly this is not practical in many situations though I thought that if I set them to f/5.6 or f/8, I could set them at home and then take them into the field. Honestly, I've not done that.

Focus stacking can solve some front to back depth of field problems though this is not practical with moving subjects or sometimes with wind. There's a certain beauty in setting up one's camera, and making the adjustments and getting what you want in a single image.

Best of luck in your quest. You could always rent one for a week or two and see how it works with your own situation.

OutdoorsLover

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 03:08:21 pm »

I cannot definitively answer your question but I can share with you my experiences. I have the three Nikon T/S lenses, 24-45-85, and when I used my D800E all the time, I loved them. It took me back to my 4x5 view camera days, though they are much harder to use than my 4x5. Even with decent live view, and a good magnifier, it's hard and time consuming to focus on the small screen for me. I no longer use them very often, though I'd like to, since I've pretty much switched to Fuji. While I can physically mount them on my Fuji X T-1 with an adaptor, the PC-E aperture control is electronic and thus there is no way to control the f/stop. I am not certain but I believe the Canon's also use electronic aperture. Check if you have any plans for another camera in the future. The only workaround I've figured out is to place the lens on the Nikon, set the aperture, and remove the lens without shutting off the Nikon. Clearly this is not practical in many situations though I thought that if I set them to f/5.6 or f/8, I could set them at home and then take them into the field. Honestly, I've not done that.

Focus stacking can solve some front to back depth of field problems though this is not practical with moving subjects or sometimes with wind. There's a certain beauty in setting up one's camera, and making the adjustments and getting what you want in a single image.

Best of luck in your quest. You could always rent one for a week or two and see how it works with your own situation.

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the response ... I appreciate it. I went ahead an bit the bullet, and ordered it. I really like the idea of slowing down and taking my time in capturing an image, and this using TS lenses certainly aids in that process. There are a lot of applications that this lens will come in handy. I'm going to try to master taking hand-held shots with it, as many places don't allow tripods, and there are times when I'm walking around snapping shots of buildings and it's important (to me) that the building lines are perfectly horizontal & vertical. The landscape stuff will definitely require a tripod! Fun fun ...

Jeff 

shadowblade

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 03:50:32 pm »

Hi all,

I love shooting landscapes (probably like everyone on this site), and when I travel (something I do a bit of), I like shooting churches, towns, bridges, and famous architecture. To that end, I'm thinking of buying a Canon TS-E 24 ƒ/3.5 II Tilt-shift lens (to use with my 5D Mk III), so that I can capture the proper perspective of the subject.

I'm questioning how much I'll really use it. Do you have one a T/S lens? How often do you find yourself you using? What subjects do you use it for most often For landscapes, I currently have a 16-35mm, 24-105mm, 24mm, and 50mm that I use most often. Sometimes I'll use my 100-400mm as well. I've been borrowing a friends TS-E 17mm, and have been enjoying it, when I use it.

Thanks!

I probably use mine every second or third shot...

OutdoorsLover

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 04:07:13 pm »

I probably use mine every second or third shot...
Nice! What kind of stuff are you shooting with it? What other lens do you have, that you use for your first or second shots?

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:28:47 pm »

Off topic - have you heard of the ten cent hardware-store monopod? Get a 1/4 x 20/inch bolt (nice if you can get one with an eye)  plus a matching nut plus a tube of "thread-lock glue" (Loctite is one brand, and it is always good to have the "blue" (user-removable) variety around) plus a 6' to 12' sturdy string or flat cord. Put a little thread-lock on the bolt about 3/8 to 1/4 inch from the end. Screw the nut on until the top of the nut is 3/8 to 1/4 inch from the end - this will form a "stop" when you later screw the bolt tip into the tripod socket on the base of your camera. Let cure overnight. For the longer string, tie both ends to the bolt eye. You will screw in the bolt tip into the baseplate tripod socket of your camera, drop the string while holding camera at desired height, and step on the string with one or both feet. Pull up against string gently when you take a picture.

eg: http://www.instructables.com/id/String-Tripod/

shadowblade

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 01:27:09 am »

Nice! What kind of stuff are you shooting with it? What other lens do you have, that you use for your first or second shots?

Mostly landscapes and cityscapes.

Other lenses I use (share a number of them, no point owning so many superteles)?
TS-E 17
Nikon 14-24
Canon 24-70
Sigma 35 Art
Sigma 50 Art
Zeiss Otus 55
Canon 70-200
Zeiss Otus 85
Canon 100L Macro
Sigma 120-300
Canon 200-400
Canon 500
Nikon 500
Canon 800

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 04:31:30 am »

One of the things I miss for my Sony A7 system is a native TS lens. Back in my Canon days it was one the lenses I used the most (the 24mm one). Besides the obvious use for landscapes (with the ability to tilt, and use a larger aperture to get a faster shutter speed, e.g. for freezing blowing flowers), I also enjoyed playing with the focus plane with close up subjects.

Today it is easy to correct perspective and leaning building during processing, but there is something to getting it right in the field, if one has the time and experience.

I remember reading in one of John Shaw's early books about how he bought a Canon EOS just to be able to use Canon's excellent TS lenses:)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 10:16:21 am »

One of the things I miss for my Sony A7 system is a native TS lens. Back in my Canon days it was one the lenses I used the most (the 24mm one). Besides the obvious use for landscapes (with the ability to tilt, and use a larger aperture to get a faster shutter speed, e.g. for freezing blowing flowers), I also enjoyed playing with the focus plane with close up subjects.

Today it is easy to correct perspective and leaning building during processing, but there is something to getting it right in the field, if one has the time and experience.

I remember reading in one of John Shaw's early books about how he bought a Canon EOS just to be able to use Canon's excellent TS lenses:)

I have a couple of Shaw's books: that is so because after I retired I thought I'd have a look at the world of nature snaps, and he turned out to be a very knowledgeable photographer, devoid of either inflated ego or bullshit. Nice man; good atmospherics.

Rob

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 11:23:39 am »

That's my next "unreasonable purchase", the TS-E 24. Meanwhile, there's a version 1 available for rental at the local camera store.

Shadowblade, you have a strong back.  :D  Many kg/lb in that list of lenses!

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 02:41:52 pm »

That's my next "unreasonable purchase", the TS-E 24. Meanwhile, there's a version 1 available for rental at the local camera store.

Hi,

The model 1 doesn't come close to the model 2. Optical quality of the new version is much better, and mechanically it's more versatile with dual rotation capability (for arbitrary tilt versus shift angles).

The lens is also usable as a unshifted wide angle lens. Manual focus is not all that easy due to the f/3.5, but with Live View, or similar, not too much of a problem. I use a deeper Lenshood (EW-88C) when I use the lens unshifted.

I shoot with the TS-E 24mm II all the time when doing architecture, and stitch when a wider FOV is required. The lens can also focus quite close up, so that offers a nice option with tilt. For longer distances the 45 or 90mm are more suited.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 03:58:17 am by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2016, 04:18:39 pm »

Do you have one a T/S lens? How often do you find yourself you using?
Yes, I've got the 24/45/90 TSE set for my 5Dii.
When I first got the 24 I was expecting to use it like you when travelling and photographing buildings and landscape.
After the initial flush of enthusiasm had worn off, I find I don't use it nearly as much as I'd expected.
More often fishing a 14mm Samyang out of the bag, holding it square, then cropping in PP is a faster and easier way to work in the field.

The TSEs are great, but really need some time and care in use, and preferably a tripod. Often when travelling it's a luxury I haven't got.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2016, 07:55:23 pm »

If you love shooting landscapes then yes, you should buy the 24 TSE.
I use it all the time for landscapes and architecture with my 5D2.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

OutdoorsLover

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 12:44:44 pm »

Thanks for all of the great responses! I love it.

I bit the bullet on Tuesday, and ordered the TS 24mm, and look forward to integrating it into my repertoire. I'll be traveling in Europe all of June, and will be bringing my Gitzo tripod, as well as my RRS TFA-01 pocket 'pod (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TFA-01-Pocket-Pod) and the RRS Multi-Clamp (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Multi-Clamp), which help tremendously with support.

If there are any "gotchas", suggestions, or other things that I should know, I'd certainly welcome the info!

Best!

shadowblade

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »

Thanks for all of the great responses! I love it.

I bit the bullet on Tuesday, and ordered the TS 24mm, and look forward to integrating it into my repertoire. I'll be traveling in Europe all of June, and will be bringing my Gitzo tripod, as well as my RRS TFA-01 pocket 'pod (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TFA-01-Pocket-Pod) and the RRS Multi-Clamp (http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/Multi-Clamp), which help tremendously with support.

If there are any "gotchas", suggestions, or other things that I should know, I'd certainly welcome the info!

Best!

Get some sort of bracket that acts as a tripod foot for the TS-E 24. This will let you take shifted panoramas while totally eliminating parallax error. There are a number of them on the market now. The Hartblei one is very solid and well-constructed, but hideously expensive; I have it, since it was the only option as the time.

Also, consider something like the C1 Cube head. Fantastic for levelling (essential for tilt-shift works) and extremely stable. It would go well with the Gitzo.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2016, 02:15:22 pm »

Get some sort of bracket that acts as a tripod foot for the TS-E 24...

Can you be a bit more specific? Product name, etc. so that we can google it in case you do not have a link handy.

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2016, 02:24:00 pm »

Can you be a bit more specific? Product name, etc. so that we can google it in case you do not have a link handy.

i 'really' love my RRS head for my TS-lenses;

BH40+PC-pro

you can level no matter how your tripod is standing and stay level while turning your camera on the PC-pro.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/PC-PRO-Round-screw-knob-panning-clamp
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

NancyP

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2016, 04:33:14 pm »

Thanks, Bart. I have heard that, but if I want to get my feet wet before plunking down the money for the II, I might just spend the 25 bucks to use the local rental I on a Saturday. I haven't used any TS, although I am a happy manual lens user.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »

Hi,

I have the 24/3.5 TSE LII that I use with my Sony A7rII. It sees a lot more use than I would have been expecting.

In addition I have a HCam TSII that works with all Canon lenses and a lot of others. The HCam doesn't have aperture control, so you need to stop down EF-lenses to working aperture before putting them on the HCam.

The Canon 16-35/4L I have works great with the HCam, but the 11-24/4 may be a better choice.

In a sense I am more interested in tilts than in shifts at longer focal lengths, so I bought a Contax 24-85/3.3-4 for the HCam master TS. That lens is very practical for "Scheimpflug" but does not allow for a lot of shift. I also have the Contax 35-135/3.3-4.5 that can be very good, but perhaps a bit less practical.

Best regards
Erik

Erik Kaffehr

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2016, 06:22:46 pm »

I use this for my 17 and 24mm TSE lenses.  It's made specifically for the Metabones and has the (for me) real advantage of giving enough space that it doesn't foul the L-bracket I keep on the camera body.
http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/BMBEFE-L-Plate-for-Metabones-MB-EF-E-BM4

Test your lens and adapter when you have them both.  Some reports about adapters needing to be shimmed.  Also my 24mm II lens needed a trip to Canon so lenses are not immune to copy variation.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1415739
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up