Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Can I stop C1 creating a Session every time I download images?  (Read 6547 times)

narikin

Every time I attach a CF card to download my images, C1 creates me a new session, and opens that in the browser. I don't want that. I like my own file-tree arrangement, and simply want to go to that, not to some 'session' that C1 has decided to make - is there an option to do that?  Thanks

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
Re: Can I stop C1 creating a Session every time I download images?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 01:18:38 pm »

Every time I attach a CF card to download my images, C1 creates me a new session, and opens that in the browser. I don't want that. I like my own file-tree arrangement, and simply want to go to that, not to some 'session' that C1 has decided to make - is there an option to do that?  Thanks

Attaching a CF card does not create a new session.  Its simply opening the import window.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

algrove

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 02:07:51 pm »

Click add a new Catalog if you do not want a new Session. Every time I open C1 i have that option.

narikin

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 02:56:17 pm »

Argh!

Of course I appreciate it's not the card that makes the session, but the import procedure. I don't want a new session or catalogue, I simply want a new folder in my folder tree, where I chose it to be.

Why? An example: with a new session, I'm editing away and deleting unwanted files, but guess what.. even when permanently deleting them, with the confirm permanent delete dialog, they're still there! They are only deleted from the 'session' folder I didn't want in the first place. It's only when I'm editing in my actual folder that I can truly permanently delete files. Ridiculous!

We don't all want 'sessions' or 'catalogs' some of us just want our image files in one simple folder, and to work with that. Period.
Jeez, why is that so difficult?!

Craig Lamson

• Craig Lamson Photo Homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 03:47:38 pm »

Argh!

Of course I appreciate it's not the card that makes the session, but the import procedure. I don't want a new session or catalogue, I simply want a new folder in my folder tree, where I chose it to be.

Why? An example: with a new session, I'm editing away and deleting unwanted files, but guess what.. even when permanently deleting them, with the confirm permanent delete dialog, they're still there! They are only deleted from the 'session' folder I didn't want in the first place. It's only when I'm editing in my actual folder that I can truly permanently delete files. Ridiculous!

We don't all want 'sessions' or 'catalogs' some of us just want our image files in one simple folder, and to work with that. Period.

Just don't use the import function of C1. I import using bridge, bypassing C1 completely, which also allows for batch renaming if I choose.
Craig Lamson Photo

Jeff Griffin

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »

I use catalogs and you can delete images from a system folder and batch rename.

The deleted images get moved to the system trash can, so if you have made a mistake they can be rescued.

gegjr

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 09:54:36 am »

You really need to view the tutorial video about C1-7 specifically the catalog and sessions. That should help you immensely.

• Capture One
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 01:17:14 pm »

Argh!

The import procedure doesn't make a new Session either.

I think you are a little confused on the structure?  ANY session can be used as a file browser.  So simply...

1) Make a session.. Call it anything

2) Copy images from card to wherever you want them on your file system  (You don't need to use the import dialogue.  Just do it in the OS

3)  Browse to your images in the System Folders section of the Library tool

4)  Use File>Delete Permanently to do just that.  Setup a better shortcut if you wish.

David Grover

hubell

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 08:25:39 am »

Argh!

I agree with you completely about Sessions. I could never get my head around the concept and insist on using MY file structure as opposed to some file structure imposed on me that creates Folders on its own. You can avoid that and still use C1 to process files, though it requires some extra steps to keep everything organized. I use LR as my DAM, but use Capture One to convert many of my raw files into 16 bit TIFFs to take into Photoshop. What I essentially do is run a side by side "catalog" in Capture One, using my file  structure just like I do in LR. When I review images in LR and come up with something that I want to use C1 to process, I just go over to C1 and find the file in my catalog there. After I am done with it, I either export a 16 bit TIFF to the original Folder (or another Folder of my choosing like a Subfolder for Processed TIFFS, or I open the file from C1 in PS directly and then save it out as a TIFF. In both cases, have to reimport the new TIFF into my LR catalog. I generally insert information into the name of the TIFF to connote that it was processed in C1. This system works smoothly for me, but I don't process very large numbers of images. Relatively few. It's worth it because C1 is that good with many files.

narikin

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 11:23:19 am »

The import procedure doesn't make a new Session either.

I think you are a little confused on the structure?  ANY session can be used as a file browser.  So simply...

1) Make a session.. Call it anything

2) Copy images from card to wherever you want them on your file system  (You don't need to use the import dialogue.  Just do it in the OS

3)  Browse to your images in the System Folders section of the Library tool

4)  Use File>Delete Permanently to do just that.  Setup a better shortcut if you wish.

Well David, I appreciate you are a product manager for software there, but I've been using C1 for oh, 10 years now, and using the import images dialog box results in a new 'Session Album' being created every time I use the Import Images dialog.

I just did it - took a single image on a new CF card, imported it, and voila, C1 has defaulted to me editing/viewing in the 'Unitled Album 1' (I was up to 'Untitled Album 85, before I went through and deleted them all) I do NOT want this - I want to C1 to go directly on the actual folder containing my actual images, not some 'Session Album' the software has decided I must have . Is that really so difficult?

Yes, I can download manually by drag and drop, with no ability to rename or review or insert copyright, etc. Not satisfactory. Yes I could use Lightroom I guess, but really, must I use an Adobe program to import my images for C1? Not satisfactory.

With Capture One the first thing I have learned to do is go to the folder tree, and re-direct C1 to the actual folder containing the images, not the new 'Session Album' it has created for me. Is this step truly unavoidable? That's all I'm asking
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 11:28:05 am by narikin »

• Capture One
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 03:56:08 am »

Well David, I appreciate you are a product manager for software there, but I've been using C1 for oh, 10 years now, and using the import images dialog box results in a new 'Session Album' being created every time I use the Import Images dialog.

I just did it - took a single image on a new CF card, imported it, and voila, C1 has defaulted to me editing/viewing in the 'Unitled Album 1' (I was up to 'Untitled Album 85, before I went through and deleted them all) I do NOT want this - I want to C1 to go directly on the actual folder containing my actual images, not some 'Session Album' the software has decided I must have . Is that really so difficult?

Yes, I can download manually by drag and drop, with no ability to rename or review or insert copyright, etc. Not satisfactory. Yes I could use Lightroom I guess, but really, must I use an Adobe program to import my images for C1? Not satisfactory.

With Capture One the first thing I have learned to do is go to the folder tree, and re-direct C1 to the actual folder containing the images, not the new 'Session Album' it has created for me. Is this step truly unavoidable? That's all I'm asking

First of all a correction - I am not the software Product Manager, thats my colleague James Johnson.

Going back to your original question, you stated that "The import procedure creates a new Session", which as the thread has progressed we have discovered that this isn't the case, and what actually is happening is that the Session Album is being created.

An 'Untitled Album' is only created if you have a Token (or indeed manually nominated folder) placed in the Sub Folder field in the Import To category.  Have you?

If that field is empty, then no 'Untitled Album' is created.  The reason why this happens is that for the vast number of customers who use Sessions happily in their daily work need to have a combined view of the most recent import if perhaps they have split that import into subfolders using a token. i.e Date Capture, Camera Serial number, Format... etc.

If you don't want to go to that collection after import, change the drop down menu at the bottom of the dialogue (Import Collection) to Never Open Import Collection

It also sounds like you don't understand that the Session Album is a virtual collection.  Deleting items from there of course does not remove them from disc.  That is not the intention of that organisational item and would make it completely unusable.

Even if you have been using Capture One for 10 years, there is always something new to learn.  I pick up new things from customers every time we meet.

David
David Grover

• Capture One
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 04:00:04 am »

First of all a correction - I am not the software Product Manager, thats my colleague James Johnson.

Going back to your original question, you stated that "The import procedure creates a new Session", which as the thread has progressed we have discovered that this isn't the case, and what actually is happening is that the Session Album is being created.

An 'Untitled Album' is only created if you have a Token (or indeed manually nominated folder) placed in the Sub Folder field in the Import To category.  Have you?

If that field is empty, then no 'Untitled Album' is created.  The reason why this happens is that for the vast number of customers who use Sessions happily in their daily work need to have a combined view of the most recent import if perhaps they have split that import into subfolders using a token. i.e Date Capture, Camera Serial number, Format... etc.

If you don't want to go to that collection after import, change the drop down menu at the bottom of the dialogue (Import Collection) to Never Open Import Collection

It also sounds like you don't understand that the Session Album is a virtual collection.  Deleting items from there of course does not remove them from disc.  That is not the intention of that organisational item and would make it completely unusable.

Even if you have been using Capture One for 10 years, there is always something new to learn.  I pick up new things from customers every time we meet.

Additoinally, if you want to use your own file tree structure, you could easily use a catalog as well.

David
David Grover

narikin

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 10:39:44 am »

Thanks David,

apologies for my lack of exact terminology, but I hope this illustrates that terms like: 'Albums', 'Sessions', 'Session Albums', 'Catalogs', or "Tokens' are just Greek to many users...

Yes I have a create a Sub Folder with the days date selected there.

All I am doing (this really couldn't be simpler): I have a folder with the year (2016), in that I have basic folders for my camera types: IQ100 (capture default), IQ180, Sony A7R2, Canon, etc. That default Capture Folder (IQ100), is where I have C1 import new images into, making a folder with that days date. Simple. works.   

Except... C1 default creates a 'Session Album' and always navigates me to it. Why can't I be navigated to the dated sub-folder with my actual images in there, rather than a Session Album C1 has decided I want?  Surely you can make that an option?!  Yes I can choose not to navigate to any folder, but it is useful to be automatically taken to your new images, which lets face it is why you are importing them, so why not get taken to the folder containing your actual images.  Jeez, I feel like I'm explaining something really basic here!

narikin

« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 10:46:05 am »

David

I do understand that, and have for a good while. It doesn't interest me as a workflow.

Fine - give that option to people who want it, but also let people who want to be taken to their actual image folder, not a 'virtual collection' of their images, that they never asked for!

• Capture One
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 09:51:25 am »

Thanks David,

apologies for my lack of exact terminology, but I hope this illustrates that terms like: 'Albums', 'Sessions', 'Session Albums', 'Catalogs', or "Tokens' are just Greek to many users...

Yes I have a create a Sub Folder with the days date selected there.

All I am doing (this really couldn't be simpler): I have a folder with the year (2016), in that I have basic folders for my camera types: IQ100 (capture default), IQ180, Sony A7R2, Canon, etc. That default Capture Folder (IQ100), is where I have C1 import new images into, making a folder with that days date. Simple. works.   

Except... C1 default creates a 'Session Album' and always navigates me to it. Why can't I be navigated to the dated sub-folder with my actual images in there, rather than a Session Album C1 has decided I want?  Surely you can make that an option?!  Yes I can choose not to navigate to any folder, but it is useful to be automatically taken to your new images, which lets face it is why you are importing them, so why not get taken to the folder containing your actual images.  Jeez, I feel like I'm explaining something really basic here!

Yep, sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing in your import dialog.  If you read what I said above, you will see why we don't navigate to a particular folder.. because what folder should that be?  The top tier folder? One of the sub folders?  What if you have a complex tree with a myriad of folders and sub folders?  Until the import is complete, Capture One will not know what folders are to be created - as that is based on the meta data of incoming images.

Quick solution for you.  Once, the import has completed, right-click on any image and say "Show in Library".  You are taken to its exact Location.

Also I said above - why be scared of a Catalog?  Seems you are not using Capture One as a browser at all.  So import to your chosen locations as you are and browse in the folders area.
David Grover

narikin

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2016, 10:13:45 am »

I think we're flogging a dead horse here David, but fwiw:

Yep, sounds like you are doing exactly the right thing in your import dialog.  If you read what I said above, you will see why we don't navigate to a particular folder.. because what folder should that be?  The top tier folder? One of the sub folders?  What if you have a complex tree with a myriad of folders and sub folders?  Until the import is complete, Capture One will not know what folders are to be created - as that is based on the meta data of incoming images.

I don't understand "Because what folder should that be?" question. It seems to me blindingly obvious when I've told C1 the location I want the images imported to and which new folder to create (todays date), that that is the folder I want to go to. Duh!

That to me is the single most obvious thing to do. Apparently not. 

Quick solution for you.  Once, the import has completed, right-click on any image and say "Show in Library".  You are taken to its exact Location.

Good tip, I'll try this. Thanks.

Also I said above - why be scared of a Catalog?  Seems you are not using Capture One as a browser at all.  So import to your chosen locations as you are and browse in the folders area.

"Not using Capture One as a Browser"?  No, I'm using it as a Raw Converter!  Is that wrong somehow? 

AlterEgo

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2016, 10:27:36 am »

No, I'm using it as a Raw Converter!  Is that wrong somehow?

yes, P1 does not consider people who just want a standalone converter worthy an effort... in a grand scheme they think that their audience (does not matter if owners of P1 & Co gear or just dSLR/dSLM shooters) are either tethered shooters and/or people who want LR (means with enough DAM) alternative or those who will, while unhappy, still use C1 with an inconvenience of "session" mode... that's it... die hard standalone raw converter users are minority and they tend not to be loyal customers of any single raw converter on top of that

• Capture One
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 03:28:58 pm »

yes, P1 does not consider people who just want a standalone converter worthy an effort... in a grand scheme they think that their audience (does not matter if owners of P1 & Co gear or just dSLR/dSLM shooters) are either tethered shooters and/or people who want LR (means with enough DAM) alternative or those who will, while unhappy, still use C1 with an inconvenience of "session" mode... that's it... die hard standalone raw converter users are minority and they tend not to be loyal customers of any single raw converter on top of that

Well, that's nonsense, because if you want to use Capture One as a browser, you simply can.

David Grover

AlterEgo

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2016, 03:36:16 pm »

Well, that's nonsense, because if you want to use Capture One as a browser, you simply can.

David, may be you did not notice/understand or may be I was not precise... some people want old functionality from C1 in addition... which is = when invoked with raw file name on command line by another application  (image/raw files browser), C1 opens that exactly and only raw file w/o any sessions or catalogs... that is what standalone raw converter is... no DAM, no browsing, no catalogs or sessions mess = that is for other apps to handle... just like it used to be a time ago... just like you can invoke ACR by starting PS with a command line parameter = raw file name...

yes, one can imagine a lot of tricks now... I can create more or less complex batch file which will copy me a raw file (and if present some settings files) to specific folder alone, then invoke C1 with some dummy session (as the file is alone - no delay with previews for other files, etc)... then copy results back to the original folder, etc, etc

« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 03:39:53 pm by AlterEgo »

• Capture One
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 03:39:25 am »

David, may be you did not notice/understand or may be I was not precise... some people want old functionality from C1 in addition... which is = when invoked with raw file name on command line by another application  (image/raw files browser), C1 opens that exactly and only raw file w/o any sessions or catalogs... that is what standalone raw converter is... no DAM, no browsing, no catalogs or sessions mess = that is for other apps to handle... just like it used to be a time ago... just like you can invoke ACR by starting PS with a command line parameter = raw file name...

yes, one can imagine a lot of tricks now... I can create more or less complex batch file which will copy me a raw file (and if present some settings files) to specific folder alone, then invoke C1 with some dummy session (as the file is alone - no delay with previews for other files, etc)... then copy results back to the original folder, etc, etc

Ok -My apologies.  :)  But saying 'we do not consider' is harsh.  We consider all factors but like any company building / making products you cater for the most popular requests / features.

The truth is, is that we get very few requests for a 'stand alone' RAW converter, handling one or a few images at a time.

Most of our clients are in high volume high pressure scenarios and need tools like Sessions (and Catalogs) to deliver images.

But I take your point!  Maybe there is some hybrid way we can do it in the future.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:43:14 am by David Grover / Phase One »
David Grover
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up