Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice for new screen/printer calibration (Win 10)  (Read 1155 times)

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
Advice for new screen/printer calibration (Win 10)
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:15:40 pm »

I have an old NEC xrite i1Display 2 that the xrite website says is obsolete not compatible (tested) with win 8+ and warns against BSD (I've not reinstalled it).  My display is an NEC 3090WQX1 being driven through Win 10 now.  My printers are an Epson 4880 which has been dormant for a long time (but working OK now) and a new Epson P8000.  I've never manually created paper profiles before as my main printer in the past was an HP Z3100 and I could do it in situ.

So I want a new display profiler and now that I have 2 Epsons I'm wondering about springing for one that can create paper profiles as well.  Looking at the Colormunki Photo vs the i1Display Pro.  In the past most of my printing was with Red River papers but while I'm likely to use Epson papers in the future there may be others I'd like to try, but mainly I do want to start making canvas prints and I'm not sure how good supplier profiles are (for the P8000)

The difference in price between the ColorMunki and i1Display are not too much of a concern, but I wonder if there are other recommendations, mainly for making paper profiles?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 04:19:34 pm by mcbroomf »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Advice for new screen/printer calibration (Win 10)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 04:32:45 pm »

Mike, it depends on how "high-end" you want to go, but from the looks of the work on your website, you want good, "accurate" equipment, in which case the i1Pro2 with i1Profiler in the i1Photo Pro package would be the most satisfying way to go from a quality/performance perspective. From a usability perspective be warned that the GUI for i1Profiler is a living disaster and there is no such thing as a comprehensive manual for i1Profiler, because XRite has chosen not to produce one in the four years or so that this software version has been on the market, nor has any one else to the best of my knowledge. They do have skimpy, inadequate context help within the application and some semi-useful videos one can access for free. So be prepared to put some sweat-equity into learning how to use what the package offers, which is quite a bit. It's a shame that such a good technical product is so poorly presented and documented, but that's XRite.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 04:46:43 pm »

Thanks Mark.  I think you mean this one?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/854477-REG/X_Rite_EO2PHO_11_Photo_Pro_2.html

A little more than I was hoping to spend, but as you say I am looking for good results and want something that will take me through a few more generations of hardware; a 4k monitor some time in the next year I think for a start.  I can also investigate camera profiles which will be interesting.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 04:53:17 pm »

Yes exactly; and it was more than I wanted to spend as well, but I don't regret it; and you save 200 bucks if you buy it before c.o.b tomorrow.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 05:29:51 pm »

Yes, already in my sh. cart  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up