Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sharpening for the Web using Capture One  (Read 2764 times)

Mike Dale

Sharpening for the Web using Capture One
« on: May 30, 2016, 04:08:47 pm »

Can you recommend the settings/workflow for the best way to display an image of 1280px on a web browser?

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
Re: Sharpening for the Web using Capture One
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »

Can you recommend the settings/workflow for the best way to display an image of 1280px on a web browser?

Mike,

I use Process Recipes for most of my setup for what I post on the Web. Meaning use Recipes for Flickr, Google+, 500PX and so on. For me this setup works well. If you have access to the Luminous videos check out Capture One Pro 7 #28 Process Recipes. They do a good job on how to setup and use Recipes.  If you do not have access to the video you may also check out Capture One Pro 8 | Exporting Images to Final Formats https://youtu.be/moRqZe1ecG0 via YouTube.

Stu

Mike Dale

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:30:41 pm »

Thanks Stu, I'll check out the videos tomorrow.

Cheers

Mike

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2016, 07:46:02 am »

Hi Mike,

I would take the Output recipes approach. The only drawback of producing final resized (JPEG) output by Capture One Pro is that we cannot preview/set the output sharpening that needs to be applied after resampling to the new dimensions.

CO9 has improved resampling quality compared to earlier versions, that now make resampling to final output size a usable option. Before that resampling improvement, I would output full size TIFFs, and resample with Photoshop because that would allow to apply final output sharpening before saving as a JPEGs. So earlier there was no issue for my workflow to delegate the resampling and subsequent output sharpening to another application. However, now Output sharpening is a sorely missed feature in Capture One.

It is possible to specify an application for Output sharpening in that output recipe, e.g. Topaz Detail, via their Topaz photoFXlab host program, or another Photoeditor application with plugin capability, but I prefer not to sharpen already saved JPEGs because sharpening them will also enhance the visibility of compression artifacts. So for the time being it remains a convoluted approach, IMHO.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Mike Dale

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2016, 04:12:05 pm »

Thanks for the great advice Bart. My aim is to eliminate my dependency on Photoshop all together because I'm still on CS6 and there will come a time when it will no longer work with a future OS upgrade.

AndyS

• http://www.astannard.com
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 06:28:17 am »

Hi,

On Windows I've experimented with using ImageMagick as part of an output recipe to do output sharpening.

Basic process is:
- Install ImageMagick on your PC
- Write a batch file that performs whatever it is you want ImageMagick to do
- Use a 3rd party program to turn the batch file into a .exe
- Point CO at this .exe as part of the output recipe

This actually works pretty well, and also lets you leverage any of the other functionality that ImageMagick offers (borders, text etc etc). You're still effectively working on an already exported jpg, but you can even get around this by outputting a tiff and tell imagemagick to do the jpg conversion and resize as part of the exe.

Away on holiday tomorrow for a week, but if you want some further details I'll post upon my return.

Thanks,
Andrew.
Pages: [1]   Go Up