Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad free colour calibration  (Read 1525 times)

jrp

Hasselblad free colour calibration
« on: May 30, 2016, 06:06:42 am »

I see that Hasselblad offers colour calibration in their free raw converter software:

http://www.hasselblad.com/products/phocus-2-9-colour-calibration/

Looks like it is icc based (I haven't tried it -- has anyone else?).

torger

Re: Hasselblad free colour calibration
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 07:18:09 am »

I haven't tried it, but reading the docs it seems like its scene-referred linear curve, that is designed for reproduction work rather than making general-purpose profiles to be used with a film curve.

The ICC produced there is likely only working in Phocus as it's dependent on the specific pre-processing done in that pipeline. It's said to be applied on the raw data, but it could be delinearized and white-balanced first, and maybe exposure compensated.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 07:21:54 am by torger »

jrp

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 08:46:08 am »

Thanks.  I think that it can do both uncorrected and general-purpose but, as you say, the result will probably work only with Phocus. Shame, as it's nice to be able to do everything in one step with a gui.

torger

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 09:25:39 am »

You can always put a plain RGB curve or RGB-HSL hue-stabilized curve (DNG) straight on top a scene-referred colorimetric profile, and that is what most profile makers do when they make a "general-purpose profile". One can say that the RGB curve's color distortions represent a "film-like" behavior and be satisfied with that, but personally I don't think it cuts it, and if you look at the bundled profiles of the big name converters they're rarely made like that.

I often see people taking immense precautions to get their colorimetric profile as accurate as possible, and then slaughter it with the RGB curve modulations, simply because the profile makers doesn't provide any other options as they're really only designed for reproduction work.

As far as I know this is how X-Rite's profile maker works, and I see no indication from the docs that Hasselblad's colour calibration does it in any other way, but I could be wrong.

It's perfectly fine if you want to make profiles for reproduction, but if you want perceptually natural color with a contrast curve applied it doesn't work too well.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 02:27:07 am »

Yes it is icc based and works great with Hasselblad. I made a custom profile for my H3D but there was very little difference to the stock profile using Hasselblad Natural Colour Solution. So really you would only bother for reproduction.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up