Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tech Camera & IQ3 100 Question  (Read 8470 times)

JoeKitchen

Re: Tech Camera & IQ3 100 Question
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2016, 10:41:12 am »

Same here, lower vibrations.  Even the best FPS produce a vibration whereas leaf shutters do not.  This makes a big difference when you need to layer captures in post. 

Plus, a flash sync of 1/125 is not that fast.  Sure, for architecture, I would never be that fast.  But for shooting lifestyle on a tech camera, it would be nice to have it. 

With the live view feature of the new back, I could in theory use my computer as the view finder as long as the back captures in live view mode and the shutters work like they would on a dSLR. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 10:59:20 am »

Hi,

I think the IQ3 100 has electronic first curtain and it is at least somewhat supported on the XF. EFSC eliminates vibration from first curtain. There will be some vibration from the second curtain still. EFSC is a workable technique to keep shutter speed down.

It may be that someone builds a fully integrated electronically controlled leaf shutter. It takes a lot of R&D, I would think, so it may be expensive. No rocket science, though, MF DSLRs often have electronically controlled leaf shutters.

Best regards
Erik

Same here, lower vibrations.  Even the best FPS produce a vibration whereas leaf shutters do not.  This makes a big difference when you need to layer captures in post. 

Plus, a flash sync of 1/125 is not that fast.  Sure, for architecture, I would never be that fast.  But for shooting lifestyle on a tech camera, it would be nice to have it. 

With the live view feature of the new back, I could in theory use my computer as the view finder as long as the back captures in live view mode and the shutters work like they would on a dSLR.
Erik Kaffehr

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2016, 11:14:22 am »

Electronic first curtain is ON when the XF is in mirror up or Vibration reduction mode.  There is no way I know of to turn it off. 

The best way to ensure the focal is not firing, is use the XF camera controls, (from the LCD on the back), have the camera in LIve View (focal is up) and then fire the camera via camera controls, which can be used in vibration reduction mode or mirror up.  Thus only the Leaf shutter in the lens fires.  Both very quite and no shake, either from mirror or shutter. Have to have a LS lens however.

There is no wired remote out yet, one is coming soon I have been told and a few users have actually seen a prototype. 

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2016, 11:23:14 am »

Hi Paul,

Thanks for explaining.

Electronic first curtain is ON when the XF is in mirror up or Vibration reduction mode.  There is no way I know of to turn it off. 

The best way to ensure the focal is not firing, is use the XF camera controls, (from the LCD on the back), have the camera in LIve View (focal is up) and then fire the camera via camera controls, which can be used in vibration reduction mode or mirror up.  Thus only the Leaf shutter in the lens fires.  Both very quite and no shake, either from mirror or shutter. Have to have a LS lens however.

There is no wired remote out yet, one is coming soon I have been told and a few users have actually seen a prototype. 

Paul C
Erik Kaffehr

JoeKitchen

« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 11:24:19 am »

This all sounds nice, however all of it is on the XF platform. 

I would prefer to shoot using a tech camera for perspective and focal plane control through shifts and tilt/swing though. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 12:34:43 pm »

The best solution Phase would have for both, is the Alpa FPS, as it has quite a lot of capabilities.  I would not be surprised to see a future product more closely integrated with the FPS in the future, maybe even at Photokina.  Allowing both the FPS and a leaf shutter in lens, maybe an electronic version also.

As I am an Arca rm3di user, can't afford to switch.   Arca has a similar solution, which was announced at Photokina 2 years ago, so far only the Canon solution has shipped that I am aware of, (Chris Barrett is using it)  However I doubt that Arca will ever be able to use the EFC on the IQ100 due to comm issues.  Where are Alpa/Phase may be able to work out a solution.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Theodoros

« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2016, 01:09:42 pm »

Just curious, what are the advantages of a leaf shutter on a tech system instead of a focal plane shutter? I'm assuming that it has something to do with studio flash photography?

The only advantage I see for my own landscape photography is that you can have really short flange distances, like seen on the SK28XL, but the current sensor designs can't handle those anyway.

None what so ever (for single shot captures)... even if one uses flash, sync speed isn't more than a mirrorless sync speed... Only advantage is if a Multishot back is used, where one can avoid using a focal plane shutter in front of the MFDB and on the same standard, as to eliminate any vibration may be caused by the shutter itself.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2016, 02:53:08 pm »

It's available and in stock:
Phase One XF Electronic Release Cable

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 04:39:18 pm »

Oh there is. A huge one. Using a leaf shutter on a tech camera has the same advantages as on the XF. Try using a 90 or 150mm lens at let's say 1/15th with a fps. Do the same with a leaf shutter and you will see the difference.

None what so ever (for single shot captures)... even if one uses flash, sync speed isn't more than a mirrorless sync speed... Only advantage is if a Multishot back is used, where one can avoid using a focal plane shutter in front of the MFDB and on the same standard, as to eliminate any vibration may be caused by the shutter itself.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

synn

• My fine art portfolio
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2016, 03:36:41 am »

Yeah, but Joe... why use an electronic shutter at all with a single shot back?  and more... 1/1000 shutter on a view camera? ....Why?  Also... I think its best to stick with MF lenses than "special" view camera lenses  if you insist on using the Sony 100MP sensor on an MFDB with the Actus... OTOH, I also think that you'd be much better off if you would use a Sony α7 for the particular job... If you are looking for the absolute best though, the Leica SL would be it... Both mirrorless won't beat (by little) an old Kodak 22/39mp sensor or a Dalsa 22/33mp sensor, but they don't need shutters, don't need a new series of lenses and would beat the above mentioned MFDBs for accurate focusing and workflow handling (both of which are of major importance for one to achieve an awesome result with a view camera)...

Your ability to hijack any thread to further your personal agenda is frightening.
my portfolio: www.sandeepmurali.com

Theodoros

« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2016, 06:00:26 am »

Oh there is. A huge one. Using a leaf shutter on a tech camera has the same advantages as on the XF. Try using a 90 or 150mm lens at let's say 1/15th with a fps. Do the same with a leaf shutter and you will see the difference.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu

Have you tried it Chris? I haven't, but I'm sure that there should be no problem as the focal plane shutter would need to be mounted on the frame independently than the MFDB and (surely) with some simple dumping care taken... I don't see how Arca's focal plane shutter for instance could cause any vibration on the back or on the lens...

dchew

• Dave Chew Photography
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2016, 07:42:26 am »

Richard Osbourne

• Richard Osbourne Art Images
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2016, 01:54:26 pm »

Anyone tried the IQ100 with the Schneider 60XL and really big fall/shifts? Talking 25mm fall with 15mm L/R shift? Would be interested to know the limits as its image circle and quality are amazing on the IQ260.

Theodoros

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »

Well, Alpa tried it.
www.alpa.ch/de/site/fps-shuttertest

1/15 sec:
FPS shutter test 1/15

ALPA is a camera... not a thick frame that has MFDB mounted on one side and a focal plane shutter (in its own housing) on the other...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up