Equipment & Techniques > Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear

Nikon in trouble?

(1/20) > >>

eronald:
http://blog.planet5d.com/2016/05/nikon-pulls-out-of-professional-video-under-financial-melt-down/

Edmund

BernardLanguillier:
Nikon may be in a challenging spot, but I don't see how they could pull out of pro video since they never entered this market in the first place.

Anyway, with the D500 and D5 out they appear to be in less trouble than they were a few months ago, and only Sony may be in a better position aming their direct competitors.

I expect this to be even more clear after the Kina.

Cheers,
Bernard

Zorki5:
It's been on Thom Hogan's site since mid-May:

Grim Nikon Financials

More on Where Nikon Is

Looks like Sony is not that far away from their stated goal of becoming #2 camera manufacturer.

Rob C:
I'm a Nikon user, from the F onwards, and hope the Jeremiahs are mistaken. Having said that, if it happens to Nikon, that they sink, I don't see that as any long-term solution for the wider camera business.

There are simply too many working cameras out there, and people eventually do get pissed off spending money - often a lot of it - and later wondering why they'd bothered. Photography, to a vast majority, isn't essential; it's neither hobby nor work-related, but just another thing on which to blow some money - through which to buy some short-lived feel-good. Perhaps Leica turns out to be the only one to have understood the world.

As evidenced here in LuLa, there's a sizeable group of pixie-fans, but I don't think that they are plentiful enough to support something that's not a lot more than tiny incrementalist technical advances. From a practical perspective, I really don't need anything further developed than my first digi camera, the D200. My later D700 is hardly ever used anymore, and I see no reason why, now an amateur, I would buy anything more sophisticated (read expensive). It just doesn't matter, it doesn't make me a better or worse photographer and I've been around long enough to know that. All the more advanced camera does is increase my concerns about getting mugged. Imaginary projections of how huge a print I could make mean nothing to me when I have absolutely no desire to go beyond A3+, and even that has now been killed off courtesy HP and its relationship with the B9180.

If I were to think of buying another camera, about the only feature Nikon could offer to tempt me into it would be the provision of a split-image screen, something that allows non-af lenses, and even af lenses, to be used comfortably. No, live view is not a solution unless you are a person who lives on a tripod.

I'm afraid the era of the permanent sucker is drawing to a close, for pretty much all of these companies except probably one.

Rob

eronald:

--- Quote from: Rob C on May 29, 2016, 05:45:28 am ---I'm a Nikon user, from the F onwards, and hope the Jeremiahs are mistaken. Having said that, if it happens to Nikon, that they sink, I don't see that as any long-term solution for the wider camera business.

There are simply too many working cameras out there, and people eventually do get pissed off spending money - often a lot of it - and later wondering why they'd bothered. Photography, to a vast majority, isn't essential; it's neither hobby nor work-related, but just another thing on which to blow some money - through which to buy some short-lived feel-good. Perhaps Leica turns out to be the only one to have understood the world.

As evidenced here in LuLa, there's a sizeable group of pixie-fans, but I don't think that they are plentiful enough to support something that's not a lot more than tiny incrementalist technical advances. From a practical perspective, I really don't need anything further developed than my first digi camera, the D200. My later D700 is hardly ever used anymore, and I see no reason why, now an amateur, I would buy anything more sophisticated (read expensive). It just doesn't matter, it doesn't make me a better or worse photographer and I've been around long enough to know that. All the more advanced camera does is increase my concerns about getting mugged. Imaginary projections of how huge a print I could make mean nothing to me when I have absolutely no desire to go beyond A3+, and even that has now been killed off courtesy HP and its relationship with the B9180.

If I were to think of buying another camera, about the only feature Nikon could offer to tempt me into it would be the provision of a split-image screen, something that allows non-af lenses, and even af lenses, to be used comfortably. No, live view is not a solution unless you are a person who lives on a tripod.

I'm afraid the era of the permanent sucker is drawing to a close, for pretty much all of these companies except probably one.

Rob

--- End quote ---

Rob, just go and buy an old Leica R9 and DMR with the right screen and you will be as close to heaven as you can get without dying ...If your eyes are really good enough to still do MF. You could even go and get one of those old F5 Frankencameras ie Kodak 760 or Kodak 770.

I thought the old Powerbooks I used as a journalist were better for writing. SO I went and restored an 80s PB180, using my skills as an engineer, and you know what - it really was as good as I remembered.

Edmund

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version