Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: True Grain by Grubba Software  (Read 3853 times)

pflower

True Grain by Grubba Software
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:22:00 pm »

Anyone come across this and have anything to say about it?  Having lost my darkroom and converting to digital I still miss the look of film.  Yes I have tried NIK and other B&W conversion programs but wonder if this offers anything.

Any thoughts?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: True Grain by Grubba Software
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 06:31:24 pm »

Anyone come across this and have anything to say about it?  Having lost my darkroom and converting to digital I still miss the look of film.  Yes I have tried NIK and other B&W conversion programs but wonder if this offers anything.

Any thoughts?

Hi,

TrueGrain is IMHO a very good simulator of film grain, and it offers the right controls for simulating one's own film grain recipe. Personally I do not like to add film grain, but if I had to then I'd probably do it with TrueGrain.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:33:08 am »

Hi,

TrueGrain is IMHO a very good simulator of film grain, and it offers the right controls for simulating one's own film grain recipe. Personally I do not like to add film grain, but if I had to then I'd probably do it with TrueGrain.

Cheers,
Bart

I haven't used TrueGrain for years, as with Bart I don't like to (have a need to) add film grain.  However, not to split hairs -- I don't regard it as a "simulator."  As I understand it, it employs the ACTUAL film grain from many different films.  Its film grains are not digitally created, but photographed from the individual film stock.  A very good product in my estimation.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 04:21:22 pm by JimAscher »
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 05:18:54 pm »

Any thoughts?

Rash lad! You'll get hanged.

;-)

Rob C

P.S.

I quite agree; it can't be beaten. In fact, I find myself adding it very, very often, but only to b/whites. I don't use any plug-ins - I just play around with Noise in Photoshop and that way, find myself with quite a lot of control about how strong it might look, and where I want it to fit.

Seems to me that people who use the proprietary 'grains' tend to overdo it somewhat; after all, grain wasn't that intrusive unless you really, really tried!
Pages: [1]   Go Up