Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Prints - Big Deal  (Read 2623 times)

Rand47

Small Prints - Big Deal
« on: May 27, 2016, 03:58:12 pm »

Kevin, Jeff...

Cool, fun segment.  Thanks!  You're right about photographer's families being like the shoemaker's kids who are barefoot! 

What kind of paper where you printing to on the SC P800?

Jeff, I think there would be some significant interest in a folio of your work!  Count me in.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Peter Mellis

Re: Small Prints - Big Deal
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 02:03:27 pm »

Watched this the other day and something clicked. My granddaughter has recently gotten interested in photography and, is I think, somewhat intimidated by using my large (to her) printer. After watching the video, I ordered one of those small printers, mostly for her to use - she can print big when the picture demands it. Not that I won't use it also....

dreed

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 02:31:38 pm »

I have been thinking a lot about printing of late and always thought to myself that it should be to print big so that it is worthy of being on a wall. This challenges that thought but raises some questions...

My wall space to hang prints on is very limited compared to the number of images that I would like to print (I assume others are in a similar boat.)

Printing out an image then raises the question of "What to do with it?"

Putting it in a frame would be good but frames require space when stored.

If I have 5 frames but 100 prints, how do I store the prints to keep them in good condition?
What sort of frames should I use that make it easy to replace the print but protect it while on display?

I dont know if this is the tip of the iceberg or its belly...

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 02:51:19 pm »

The last time I made a print larger than 7/8/9x12" (or 10" square) to display in my house was ~2 years ago. Most of my wall space is taken up by other peoples' work, photos and paintings, none of which falls into the "big" category either. Outside of galleries and museums I've never been a fan of large presentation.

I went through a phase of taping prints to plastic backing to keep 'em flat. Now I just tack 'em up "raw."  ;)

-Dave-
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 02:54:54 pm by Telecaster »

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 10:20:27 am »

I stick 17X25s on the fridge with magnets.  It's a black fridge, so they look great.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:03:10 pm »

I stick 17X25s on the fridge with magnets.  It's a black fridge, so they look great.

Hi Peter,

They'll look even better if you put a white sheet of paper behind the print (because prints are not 100% opaque, the image whites will be dulled down a bit otherwise), the magnets should be strong enough to cope.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

D76

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 01:27:10 pm »

I have the same problem with lack of wall space at my house.  So... I frame small and medium sized prints, bring them to work, and force everyone to look at them here!  And it works pretty well since the walls are a sort of 18-20% grey-blue and make for a pretty good gallery.  Most of my prints are on 11x14 sheets stored in museum boxes at home.  But I'm running out of room for that, too  :(

Telecaster

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 02:59:06 pm »

I have the same problem with lack of wall space at my house.  So... I frame small and medium sized prints, bring them to work, and force everyone to look at them here!

Hehe, in my working days I did that too. Aside from the frames, that is…I just printed a black line "frame" instead.  :D  I'd often hold meetings and conduct interviews in my office in part because the prints would get people talking and asking questions. Especially pre-digital when printing your own photos was unusual. "Do you develop your own film too?" Along with the electric guitar and small Fender amp resting in a corner, I was—not consciously at first—making a statement of sorts.

-Dave-
Pages: [1]   Go Up