Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 17-85IS v Sigma 17-70  (Read 12066 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Canon 17-85IS v Sigma 17-70
« on: May 29, 2006, 09:57:59 am »

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience of this (newish) Sigma lens? It's f2.8-4.5, which makes it rather faster than the Canon, but of course it doesn't have IS.

I have a 20D and my old Canon 28-80 (which I used on my 50E) just isn't wide enough, so I need to change. I'd like something that covers the range from decent wide angle to the bottom end of my Canon 75-300, so the 17-40 wouldn't be ideal (nor would the Tamron 17-50 f2.8, really).

All suggestions gratefully received!

Jeremy

svaughan

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:44:43 pm »

I can't give honest feedback on this lens, because I haven't shot with it yet. But I just bought one and it should arrive tomorrow. From what I read, it has good quality glass, not L-Series, but close. All that I have read, the quality is as close to L-Series as you can get for the price, so the reviews have been good.

Once I shoot a little with it, I'll let you know what I think.

I also bought the Canon 70-300 with IS.  For telephoto, I thought the IS would benefit me more. With the Sigma, I will use it mostly with a tripod, and when I can't, the 2.8 will allow more light. I am not sure IS in this range would be a big benefit.

Just my opinion...   br slv.

Yakim Peled

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2006, 02:51:01 am »

You do NOT have to have all focal lengths covered. In real world shooting conditions the difference between 40mm and 70mm is just a few steps.

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

svein

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 10:42:04 am »

I've only used the 17-85 briefly and not the Sigma so my comments are fairly general.

The IS of the Canon more than compensate for the one f-stop advantage of the Sigma for static subjects, but IS don't help for things that move.

I'd prefer the Canon, mainly because of the longer tele end. When I use my kit lens (the 18-55) I often wish for more tele without changing lens. 70mm would help, but 85mm would be even better.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 10:42:49 am by svein »

stever

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 07:49:03 pm »

i'm pretty satisfied with my 17-85 and believe, in general, Canon lenses have fewer problems and compromises than Sigma

the high ISO performance of the 20d makes one stop more or less not such a big deal, but may affect autofocusing

Photozone has tested the 17-70 and 17-85 and the numbers look comparable

oldcsar

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 01:15:41 am »

I haven't used the Canon 17-85. But I now own the Sigma 17-70 after reading those photozone reviews. My first impressions with some test shots have yielded extremely sharp photos, nice autofocus, and I can take sharp macro shots with the extended lens right up at the subject. The build quality is also good, and a steal at 450 Canadian. My only complaint is that the lens hood is very compact, and leaves very little room to properly put the lens cap back on. With a UV filter (or any other filter), it should be a little easier since the fingers don't have to reach down quite as far. That said, the lens hood snaps on and off with ease. For every third party lens I've bought, it came with its own lens hood. I can't say the same for Canon.

I don't believe that Sigma lenses are generally less reliable or compromised than Canon lenses. If these forums are an indication, there seem to be a fair amount of people with the opinion that Canon has quality control issues with *specific* lenses. But this isn't the case for all lenses, and not even all lenses of a certain model. Sometimes people get lemons. My Sigma lens came with a 5 year warranty, which isn't too shabby. Also, I think that for 450 dollars, Canon can't match what's being offered by third parties in regards to APS-C optimized lenses in the non-budget, sub 1000 dollar category. Tamron has the excellent 17-35 Di LD, and the 90mm Di 1:1 Macro. I own them both, and can vouch for quality optics and build quality...

The Canon 17-85 EF-S looks better than their other EF-S lenses, but the build quality doesn't seem to be much of an improvement from their other EF-S lenses (i own the 18-55 kit lens). Speaking purely from my limited experience with APS-C sized lenses, Sigma and Tamron are ahead of Canon with respect to "bang for your buck".
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 01:38:45 am by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke

oldcsar

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 05:31:18 pm »

Here are some shots I recently took with my new Sigma lens. As far as I'm concerned, the sharpness of the lens is as promised. The last two are 100% original crops of the resized versions. They were processed with Camera Raw, converted to linear 16-bit, then an unsharp mask (radius 50, 20 percent for the first shot, none for the second due to some partially blown highlights in the feather) to enhance contrast. Aside from using a some local contrast enhancement with a wide radius, no form of sharpening was applied to the 100% percent crops, and contrast, brightness, and all other basic adjustments were at zero in Camera raw. I took them with a Canon 300D, and it's probably the case that the sensor is limiting the fine detail that this lens is capable of.

The photograph of the seaweed and water was @36mm, f/4.0, 1/320 sec, ISO100
The photograph of the feather was @ 70mm, f/5.6, 1/500 sec, ISO100
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 06:49:45 am by oldcsar »
Brendan Wiebe
 [url=http://smg.photobucke
Pages: [1]   Go Up